Capture camera clip system - anyone used it yet?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tem?ref=search

saw this on kickstarter and kind of kicking myself for not getting in on it when it was $20 cheaper. have a kid on the way and realizing i won't be able to carry my lowepro around w/ me any more. anyone use it? is it really as durable as they make it sound? any drops? does it perform as well in the cold? reviews on amazon look pretty outstanding but wondering if you guys have anything to share.

78 people have viewed and no one has used it? damn. maybe i'll give it a shot and post a review here.

Yup, I have it. It's ok. The idea is fantastic, but it doesn't always work as advertised. Mine binds up some because the gap between the plate and the actual holder is very very tight. If you have the camera offset at all, it won't slide in easily.

Once you figure out it's nuances though, it's a great piece of gear. I used to carry a shoulder bag so it was easy to get my camera out while I hiked, but it was never comfortable for long trips, and it had limited storage. With the Capture, I can wear my camera backpack, keep my camera on my shoulder, and carry my tripod in my hand. Makes it easy to snap pictures along the way. I would recommend it, but just know it does have a couple of quirks.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

kind of felt the same way about my lowepro sling. like it but don't love it. have a kid on the way so i doubt i'll be able to carry it nearly as much. would love to be able to clip it on to my waist or on to a shoulder strap of a back pack or something. i'll probably take the plunge. have you seen anything about them possibly retooling it or anything any time soon?

and just saw DPS reviewed it earlier this week and loved it for anyone interested.

http://digital-photography-school.co...aphy+School%29

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    With the Capture, I can wear my camera backpack, keep my camera on my shoulder, and carry my tripod in my hand. Makes it easy to snap pictures along the way. I would recommend it, but just know it does have a couple of quirks.
    Does the capture plate have a 1/4 20" screw hole or do you need to take the plate off to put your tripod plate on? I personally like to just keep my tripod plate on my camera all the time. That's what I love about my BlackRapid RS-5. It essentially hangs in the same place, is super accessible and no need to change plates.

if you have an arca swiss tripod head then it attaches straight to it. if not there is a 1/4 20" hole you can attach your plate to.

the biggest advantage for me is that it's not hanging from a strap. straps bug the fuck out of me. i was planning on a buying the RS-7 but for an extra $10-20 i'm going to go with this. it can't bounce around at all and no matter how i move it's staying in the same place.

edit: just ordered mine. only 3 left on amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    if you have an arca swiss tripod head then it attaches straight to it. if not there is a 1/4 20" hole you can attach your plate to.

the biggest advantage for me is that it's not hanging from a strap. straps bug the fuck out of me. i was planning on a buying the RS-7 but for an extra $10-20 i'm going to go with this. it can't bounce around at all and no matter how i move it's staying in the same place.

edit: just ordered mine. only 3 left on amazon.
    I used to hate straps. I used a lowerpro slingshot for a while and hated it. Didn't know how I'd feel about the RS-5 but I have to say the thing is the jam. I can put the camera on my thigh, my hip and even slide it to my back in the move of a hand. From all the picture I have seen of this thing is look like it would be slapping around a lot. Whatever works for you! Hope you like it.

Just placed an order, thanks for the heads up on this. Seems like it could be pretty ideal for touring if you're wearing a medium or large pack? Probably not with a pro series body and a 70-200 attached, but with a 5D/7D and a light weight wide angle...could be money. One of their videos shows the guy using his packs sternum strap to keep the camera from bouncing, which looks promising. I'll have to report back.

I had been looking at the Black Rapid straps, but they seem fairly incompatible if you are wearing a pack?

i have loved the lowepro slingshot while resort skiing. easy to access and swing in front of you right before you get on the lift. it was fine for hiking as long as i didn't need to bring a pack w/ me for tent etc. i thought about the black rapid strap but it didn't seem like it would really solve these problems. especially while touring. plus i have a baby on the way and will the camera on me at all times.

Got out on two quick tours with the Capture clip thingy this week. It's a great tool to have in your kit, and definitely makes shooting while skinning super easy. I didn't even have to stop moving to fire off a few shots.

Initial impressions:

1. I wish they had just licensed their patent to Bogen/Manfrotto. It's well built, but it's not an $80 item. I'd be willing to bet B/M comes out with their own version of this concept soon, at a similar price point but built with better materials.

2. It's a no go for pro bodies. A Canon 5D with a 17-35 lens mounted works wonderfully with this system. But with the 1D4, it's unusable. Just too awkward and heavy to have that on your shoulder strap, and a bit unnerving as it stresses out the base plate alot. Also, any lens that zooms externally (like the 24-105) is unusable. The lens will work itself to be totally zoomed in, and then the lens jabs into your ribs. Not ideal.

Other than that, like I said, it's a great tool to have available and will allow you to be super fluid while skinning/hiking/whatever. I like it, and plan to use it a lot in the future.

Thanks for the update! Good little review.