Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks for the positive words. We only do it for the glory... At least now I know a few things I can do for fun when hanging with the parents in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Wow, super interesting TR, nice work! Did you guys travel along the PCT at all? I hiked the PCT in 2010 and all those pics are bringing back some fond memories of being lost in the snow in non-gortex trail runners on Tahquitz, then being pinned down in our tents for literally 48hrs while 60mph winds and driving snow shredded what was left of my tent. Good times for sure...
    We were on the PCT just a bit on the first day and only because we made a wrong turn. The view of Tahquitz was along the PCT (I am pretty sure). When I was hiking Tahquitz itself, I turned right (south) along the ridgeline just before hitting the PCT. I eventually crossed over it, just before the final pitch, as it wraps around the N face, and it was snow covered, 40-50 degrees and still firm in the shade. But, yeah, a lot of this is in the vicinity of the PCT as it works its was from San Jacinto to Tahquitz. I'd say you need to get out there in winter (on skis) next time.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    great TR! Odd question, are there snowpack/stability concerns up there? Serious question, such an odd spot, but I get out there fairly often and wouldn't mind a quick tour but don't know shit about what 2' of base does in mid-April on what could be steeper lines.

Great TR again!
    I'd say there are always concerns, but here is what I noticed.

1) In the Long Valley area, off the tram top, there is very little slope greater than 25 degrees in angle. Actually, my biggest concern in avy conditions would be the middle part of the hike from the ranger station to Round Valley. You follow a creek up, and the banks are pretty steep. Only about 30-50 feet high, but it is a terrain trap. If danger were high, you could forge your own trail higher up, along the creek bank ridges. As far as the skiing goes, it would be pretty easy to stay sub 30 degrees, as only a few roll overs pushing that steepness were found (and we were looking for them). In short, now that I know the area and route, I'd ski it in a storm, as I feel I could easily mitigate avy concerns.

2) The terrain on Tahquitz is definitely slide terrain. What I found this past week was a well consolidated snow pack. No depth hoar, and well bonded to the rock below. The N aspects were frozen solid, the entire 1-2.5 feet. Maybe about 1cm of soft snow was on the surface at 11AM. The NE faces had several inches of soft snow on top of a well frozen snow pack. On my descent, I found the more easterly aspect was a bit too soft. I think what Dookey67 calls soft serve. Hard to keep an edge, and it was slippery. I tried to stay on the NE for the best skiing. All in all, the snow pack looked very stable last week. Of course, with more warm days and nights, that could change as free water begins to percolate.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    I can't believe you can ski that shit down there. Looks like full on ski mountaineering lines possible on that face. Very interesting, nice work. I hope you can get back in there in a better year and report back.
    The lines off the peak and fire lookout would be super fun. Especially lookers right of the big rock. There were at least two mandatory airs in that line this past week. With more snow and powder, I could see some fun lines. The east facing lines were mostly deep coolies, which could also be fun, but access from the ridge might be tough even in a big year.

This is a very interesting trip. I love how you guys thought out of the box to go hit it in places you wouldn't think to go. Thanks for sharing.

awesome trip. some awesome pics, but the best was Jamie doin the tai chi and you didn't even post it. ;-)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Here ya go. Baby Tai Chi class at the Desert Springs resort. (core work for future skinning)

Such a HOT TR.....well played sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Here ya go. Baby Tai Chi class at the Desert Springs resort. (core work for future skinning)
    somebody needs his diaper changed
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    somebody needs his diaper changed
    Yeah, that was mentioned elsewhere as well. But look, he has his chi on. Do you think I'd dare to interrupt that just to clear a dump? He'd probably take me down with some master stroke before I could even get that one off.

what beautiful terrain and vegetation for some spring pow!
    nice work and excellent pics.
    TR made my day

Anybody here ever ski the north face of Jacinto? Looks killer but all the mountaineering reports I've read make it seem pretty sketchy (obviously thinking for a better snow year than this)

That kicked ass! Nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.