REVIEW: 12/13 MOMENT Belafonte, 187cm

Here are some thoughts on the new 187 Belafonte, MOMENT's new (relative) flex ratings, and a look at the effective edge numbers of the Belafonte, Bibby Pro, and Governor.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...elafonte-187cm

Bottom line: the 187 Belafonte is a nice bump up from the 182 (though definitely doesn't render the 182 obsolete, even for fairly big skiers); and I think that a number of people who were leaning toward the 192 will want to consider the 187 instead.

Keep the good times rolling. Great reviews. Always love reading them!

Just wanted to echo the excerpt below. I'm slightly less in weight than you, but never thought I needed something longer than the 182. Don't remember finding a speed limit either, but I wasn't crazy about this ski in anything over 6-8" fresh snow (too stiff for adequate float... more like the ski submarined). Would the 187 be that much better? Perhaps, but that's not what it's designed for since the Jag Shark fills that void while being sufficient on hardpack.

"I’m 5’10″ and 185 lbs., and the 182 Belafonte does not feel like too little ski for me. As I wrote in my original review, it doesn’t feel short, it feels stable. If you are deciding, then, between the 182 and 187 length, I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss the 182 length."

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Keep the good times rolling. Great reviews. Always love reading them!
    Thanks, Bird Blaster.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Just wanted to echo the excerpt below. I'm slightly less in weight than you, but never thought I needed something longer than the 182. Don't remember finding a speed limit either, but I wasn't crazy about this ski in anything over 6-8" fresh snow (too stiff for adequate float... more like the ski submarined). Would the 187 be that much better? Perhaps, but that's not what it's designed for since the Jag Shark fills that void while being sufficient on hardpack.

"I’m 5’10″ and 185 lbs., and the 182 Belafonte does not feel like too little ski for me. As I wrote in my original review, it doesn’t feel short, it feels stable. If you are deciding, then, between the 182 and 187 length, I wouldn’t be quick to dismiss the 182 length."
    Yep, given the softer shovel and the extra 10mm of width, the Jag Shark is certainly the better pow ski. And I'd agree that the Jag Shark is, for the most part, "sufficient" on groomers, but it does not rage like the Belafonte in bumped up stuff and variable conditions. For serious charging, the shovels of the Jag Shark felt too soft for me. So yeah, I'm not suggesting that the extra 5cm turn the Belafonte into a phenomenal pow ski, just clarifying when and where the 187 Belafonte might make more sense than the 182: either as a one ski quiver, or as the bigger ski in a low snow area. Cool that MOMENT's making tools that let people get very specific about how and where they want a ski to shine.

Thanks for the review and the discussion in the comments at the bottom. I always anxiously await the next one. You guys get to test some cool skis...

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Thanks for the review and the discussion in the comments at the bottom. I always anxiously await the next one. You guys get to test some cool skis...
    Yeah, man, good stuff, and good exchange. And I'm going to anxiously await to hear what you think of the 182 Belafonte....

Sweet review. Can't wait to read about the Jaguar Shark in a 187!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I have you give you props for making both the Belafonte and the Jag Shark in a 187 they both looked great at SIA
    If ski companies didn't make new skis every year I wouldn't have to get new skis every year.

www.levelninesports.com
    http://skiingyeti.blogspot.com/