Who's been to Oaxaca?

Thinking about making a trip to Oaxaca (primarily the city and surrounding highlands?) in July and am having trouble getting a fix on how to spend a week-10 days. Is Escondido worth it for non-surfer types? Miserably hot/humid along the coast?

Oaxaca is easily my favorite state in Mexico. You'll love the city and surrounding areas, provided you like food, mezcal, coffee, art, music, meso-American ruins, things like that.

Escondido in July is a crapshoot for surfers and non-surfers alike. It gets stormy. We could be talking afternoon monsoon-type stormy or nine days of rain type-stormy. As big as the surf gets on Zicatella proper, other, more sheltered beaches should still provide some non-surf recreation, and these settings are idyllic before the crowds show up. There are some outfits that offer dolphin watching tours, one of which is run by a dude that splits his time between Escondido and Jackson. There is also a wildlife sanctuary about an hour away, some coffee plantations, shit like that.

Escondido has some fun restaurants and bars, pricier than you might expect, but the scene is fun, and certainly worth a day or two of your time. Getting there, however, might be a deal-killer. Flying into Puerto Angel(?) is pricey, but less so than Escondido. There are busses/vans that either take the long route from the city, skirting the isthmus, or go straight through the Madres. This is the most cost-effective option, and there's usually a few late departures, putting you in Escondido at sunrise. These vans, rather the drivers that travel the mountain route, are fucking crazy. They may well be the most memorable part of the trip. I'm confident these guys could give F1's bottom feeders a run for their money, an idea supported by the zeal with which they tackle each and every of the 700 corners on the route. Add in an unannounced stop or two in the middle of nowhere, at which point you and your wife are sure that this is where they kill you, during which the driver hops out, bumps some amphetamine and warms his hands over a burning 50-gallon drum while a six year-old girl demands money for use of her outhouse made for people much smaller than us.

That said, after a week of getting fat and drunk in the city you might be ready for some adventure. Oh, and we've scored some ungodly deals w/ VRBO & Home Away, staying in ridiculous pads in Escondido for < $70 dollars a night.

I want to go to Oaxaca so bad. Please post a trip report if you go.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Brad, you been to San Cristobal by chance? An option--rather than Escondido-- would be to fly into Oaxaca, out of San Cristobal; I gather there's a ten hour, ass-puckering bus ride involved between the two. Could theoretically add Palenque to the mix.

I've been to Oaxaca. My favorite place in Mexico. They had some trouble a while back, but it's calmed down now. It's been a few years since I've been, but my sister in law and her family were there this past summer for a month, and loved it.

Dude i share an office will always asks if " Oaxaca- style" means Ox meat at this mexican jernt we go to all the time. he is dead serious. Kills me.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Oaxaca is all over the inerwebz today...

http://www.surfline.com/templates/article.cfm?id=69344

Looks like you are going to have to pay to play my friend.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Oaxaca is all over the inerwebz today...

http://www.surfline.com/templates/article.cfm?id=69344

Looks like you are going to have to pay to play my friend.
    The only things you're going to find are the waves and us. Nobody else goes there, not even the Army. So when somebody shows up in a rental car or something, we tell them: 'It's good you're here, but you need to hire a local guide.' That's only for foreigners and doesn't apply to Mexicans no matter where they're from. But the thing is...if we let people just show up, you're going to have 50, 60 guys in the water. This is one way to control the crowd.
    Dude, I can toooootally pass for a Mexican. Yo hablo muy goodo. And I have a kick-ass poncho I got in Nogales a few years back.

Some interesting stuff to do around Oaxaca
    • Monte Alban - ruins
    • The center of Oaxaca itself.
    South of Oaxaca ther was
    • Arbol de Tule (a Big Ass Tree)
    • Yagul ruins
    • And some town where they made rugs

Oaxaca could get boring after 10 days. Puerto Escondido is nice. If you don’t mind spending money on a traditional resort you could try Hautulco for a few days. Mexico wanted Hautulco to be the next Acapulco but it never took off.

Palenque is nice to see, but would eat up 3 to 4 days from Oaxaca.

Bump! After 7 years of laborious planning, this trip is happening next week. A search reveals this as the only thread on the subject. Also hitting Puerto Escondido. Appreciate any further tidbits--

I was there 25 years ago so am no help, but I do recall the food was fantastic.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My dad used to go there and loved it. He always brought back the funny looking animal sculptures. He's got a ton of em. That's all I got.

My wife and I have been talking about a long weekend in Oaxaca for Dia de los Muertos for a while. Not sure this is the year though.

Bump.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Was there October 2021 for an MTB race. The city is awesome, the food is amazing, and the people are super nice. Best bike trails I have ever ridden as well. I will go back for sure. Hopefully this year.

oooh yeah, this is def on my radar.