Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I’ll call ya. Have 15 years of experience with this.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Gout sucks---three years ago I had my first experience with it having know idea what it was I honestly thought I had fractured my big toe somehow -- doc in a box PA was pleased to inform me it seemed that I was just another loser with gout which I undoubtedly deserved. There is a stigma to it and the numbers are subsequently hugely under reported. Anyway after the first debilitating experience (two weeks, virtually immobile) I learned a lot but still had another flare up which left me limping and grimacing. I distilled my research into my own formula that has been so effective for 2 years it seems impossible.

At the very first twinge of pain in my left big toe I take an ibuprofen, and mix a concoction of 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2-3 oz of unfiltered apple cider vinegar and a half cup of good quality black cherry juice. I do that twice a day for two days. For me the results are miraculous, I hesitate to type this for fear of jinxing myself.

I'm very much a fix the roof when it's raining personality but if I was smart I would just make a morning cocktail of cherry juice and vinegar an everyday routine
    you know there ain't no devil,
    there's just God when he's drunk---- Tom Waits

Thanks, appreciate the help. Going to pick up some good cherry juice today and give that a try.

Woah, woah. IMHO, and from what I've seen, it needs to tart black cherry juice. No sugar added. I've heard it's so sour you need to add an artificial sweetener to it, but it's fine for my palate. R. W. Knudson makes a Just Cherry Juice that's pretty titly. Gives you diarrhea if you drink it in therapeutic quantities, but that's better than the pain. One of the above mags sent me an awesome link about current gout treatment. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Woah, woah. IMHO, and from what I've seen, it needs to tart black cherry juice. No sugar added. I've heard it's so sour you need to add an artificial sweetener to it, but it's fine for my palate. R. W. Knudson makes a Just Cherry Juice that's pretty titly. Gives you diarrhea if you drink it in therapeutic quantities, but that's better than the pain. One of the above mags sent me an awesome link about current gout treatment. I'll see if I can dig it up.
    Thanks, got 1 bottle of Knudsens Just Tart Cherry and one Just Black Cherry, that was all they had. Drinking Davisski's formula right now. Slowly.

Cherry juice seems to help. Still a little swelling in the toe but the pain is minimal.

had a painful flare up in my elbow recently. leading up to my birthday last saturday was a week of cocktails, beer and my favorite foods, which of course , are a recipe for gout. I might have to look into the meds for the next one cuz that shit is painful.
    https://www.epainassist.com/joint-pa.../gout-in-elbow
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

As Bob said the indomethacin will knock it right out. Unfortunately, for me at least, it hurts my stomach so much it's like drinking razor blades. Still better than gout though. I haven't had an attack in at least 5 years thank god, that shit sucks.

Long time gout sufferer here. Cherry juice did nothing for me. Indomethacin works fast, but has bad long term side effects to your liver. So need to use very sparingly. I’m on allopurinal which does help to keep the uric acid level down. But the real key is to keep the weight off.

If you have gout, see a doctor.

After about 5 years without an attack the wife and I went to Cancun last month. We stayed at an all inclusive and against the part of my brain that keeps me in check the other side talked me into fruity drinks. Just like Spats talks about earlier in this thread, I woke up the next morning with a swollen toe. It was a rather low level attack and I managed to limp a couple blocks to find a favorable taxi driver to score some herb.

I switched back to wine for the weekend and managed to keep it in check. I probably should've tried to pick up some Indo down there but it never really crossed my mind. Had a pre-paid non-refundable excursion that involved a lot of walking that I had to beg off, that kinda sucked X2 with the wife.

Once home it went away and a week later came back again, this time in my wrist. My hand swelled up with a full on attack. I toughed that out for a couple days and it went away. I woke with it again in my wrist last Saturday, skied that day making gingerly pole plants. Sunday it kept me from skiing. Monday I went to the insta care hoping they wouldn't want to draw blood and would give me the scrip for the Indo. Thankfully I got a doctor other than Dr. Acula, I explained my circumstances with the attacks. He thought it was probably a cacophony of circumstances, fruity drinks, hot weather, not much water intake. He seemed quite convinced that hydration is the key.

Like I mentioned earlier, re-reading this thread I'm convinced Spats is correct. I've been drinking a lot of Red Bull most ski mornings the last few weeks, I think this along with the original causes kept things going. The doctor I talked to on Monday wasn't real keen on the Allopurinol daily regimen, he recommended diet changes and most importantly a better hydration with water and less flavored drinks.

I'm going to go with my red wine and a glass of water to match each of them. Going to cut out sodas and juices, hopefully this will keep me off the daily meds.

Yeah, hydration is definitely part of it. Also, if you can’t get your hands on any indocin, other NSAID drugs like alieve will help some.