Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    You think IRS is complicated. You should look into reporting sales tax as a business. State, city, county All with different rates for material or services. Whether it’s delivered or shipped. Imagine trying to track hundreds of different codes around the country.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    You think IRS is complicated. You should look into reporting sales tax as a business. State, city, county All with different rates for material or services. Whether it’s delivered or shipped. Imagine trying to track hundreds of different codes around the country.
    Been there, done that. Never again. Lol. I miss the good old days of when you could conduct e-commerce without having to screw around with any of that. If it was outside your own area, you didn't have to worry about it. Then ALLLL the taxing authorities caught on, got involved, and the laws changed. ...sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    FIFY. For real though. Ask ANYBODY who's lived in Japan or Europe. They are baffled as to how we put up with what we do.

Do you know what filing taxes in Japan is like? They basically mail you a postcard saying "Here's what we show you made and how much taxes were withheld. Does that look about right? Sign here." Boom. Done. I mean, the IRS usually knows all that info anyway, right? Most Europeans have it pretty simple compared to us too.

We don't need MORE agency funding. We need less. WAY less. Just simplify shit (massively) and maybe it wouldn't have to be such a giant PITA. Too bad lobbyists like Intuit and H&R Block spend MILLIONS every year to keep it FUBAR. Just the way they like it.
    You dumb fuck, people who don’t like taxation purposely lobby to make paying and filing taxes a pain in the ass to make people not like taxes. It’s not the IRS’s fault fuck nugget.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    You dumb fuck, people who don’t like taxation purposely lobby to make paying and filing taxes a pain in the ass to make people not like taxes. It’s not the IRS’s fault fuck nugget.
    4-D chess!!

Yeah sure Hugh, that's it.

The anti-tax people seem to usually fall into the flat tax buckets, but most politicians, on both sides of the aisle, would rather legislate through the tax code, so here we are.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah sure Hugh, that's it.
    Sure they’ve said that, but I don’t want to believe that.

since we seem to have just about solved our tax law issues, let's cycle on into clearing up the health cost problem.

TIL that the IRS writes the tax code, who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    TIL that the IRS writes the tax code, who knew?
    No, but they ARE the dicks we have to interface with. No different than an a-hole cop with a hard on for writing people tickets for everything being like "Hey, I don't make the laws. I just enforce them." Well, yeah. That may very well be true, but those cops are still annoying. Same with the revenue service. And also, just like when a cop makes a mistake (like when I got pulled over last year for "running" a completely non-existent stop sign), often times the IRS makes mistakes too and YOU have to point out their error and get them to fix it, which can be a long and arduous process sometimes.

Never had any issues doing or paying my taxes as a Biz owner in NYS back when the tax man only knew what you told him in ink on a piece of paper.

A buddy in the same biz kept getting flagged late sales tax payments. According to the tax agent, they were understaffed so it was taking a month to cash and credit his checks.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

It would be nice if they hired some more IRS agents to staff phones and live chats for helping people properly do their taxes.. and expedite the refunds owed to people.. Imagine if they had 80K more humans working there to help folks??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It would be nice if they hired some more IRS agents to staff phones and live chats for helping people properly do their taxes.. and expedite the refunds owed to people.. Imagine if they had 80K more humans working there to help folks??
    So you're on board with 80K more cops too, huh?

In all seriousness though, how about of instead of spending a bajillion more dollars on enforcing an increasingly baffling tax code, we just make it easy for all? You know. Like they somehow seem to be able to do in other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Never had any issues doing or paying my taxes as a Biz owner in NYS back when the tax man only knew what you told him in ink on a piece of paper.
    Yeah. Back in 19dickety2, it was way, WAY easier. I helped organize files for my grandparents estates when they died and so I got to peruse their tax returns from the 50s til the 70s. That included entire businesses my grandfather had and everything. I was pretty jealous seeing just how much easier it was for people to comply back then. No comparison. So don't go acting like you have a freaking clue what modern tax compliance is like there, bub. ESPECIALLY if you work interstate commerce. Effffff that.

If you run a business and are too cheap to hire a tax professional, I don't know what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    If you run a business and are too cheap to hire a tax professional, I don't know what to tell you.
    Or spend $150 on a decent version of Quicken or whatever...

If you can't afford to pay your taxes, you're failing to manage your affairs properly.. Yes, the IRS needs to come after your ass and collect your fair share so the rest of us don't have to pay it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    spend lots of money for someone to do that worth every penny
    insurance audits they fill it all out
    payroll they print me a pay check twice a month plus everyone else
    make all the tax payments every two weeks to the irs and then the state once a month
    they fill out reams of tax forms that I have to pretend to know and understand
    it's all about winning

I dunno. It's self-perpetuating as government ALWAYS does. Bureaucracies ONLY increase in complexity, and thus a necessity for more and more funding. Once funding goes up, it rarely ever goes down. Once laws are in place, they rarely expire.

We really do need to nuke the entire code and start over from scratch. It could be SO easy, but our politicians don't have the willpower. This really should be talked about more. Was cracking up hearing Linus Sebastien (from Linus Tech Tips) go off on a rant recently about how we do it in the US. He's in Canada and people were begging him to get involved in the US market. He was like no effing way as it's infinitely more complicated. Apparently agents from California Dept of Tax have been hounding that he owes a bunch taxes to CA for whatever and he basically told them to fuck off. LMAO.
    A lot of this, funny enough, starts with campaign finance reform....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

High net worth people are audited less than the average person. Because we’re dumb enough to have jobs and assets they can attach liens to if we owe.

They won’t throw 10 agents at a billionaire that will probably tie them up for years and end up getting nothing. They’ll be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    High net worth people are audited less than the average person. Because we’re dumb enough to have jobs and assets they can attach liens to if we owe.

They won’t throw 10 agents at a billionaire that will probably tie them up for years and end up getting nothing. They’ll be fired.
    Nope. EITC recipients are audited at a high rate but the average person is audited at a far lower rate then millionaires. IRS should definitely be focusing almost all its efforts on the rich though.

No, but they ARE the dicks we have to interface with. No different than an a-hole cop with a hard on for writing people tickets for everything being like "Hey, I don't make the laws. I just enforce them." Well, yeah. That may very well be true, but those cops are still annoying. Same with the revenue service. And also, just like when a cop makes a mistake (like when I got pulled over last year for "running" a completely non-existent stop sign), often times the IRS makes mistakes too and YOU have to point out their error and get them to fix it, which can be a long and arduous process sometimes.
    the IRS is just like local cops says tgrs biggest moron. The pig wasn’t making a mistake bootlicker