Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I make my IP look like it's in CA regardless of my actual location?

I need to do shit on teh interwebz that will show my originating IP from CA (or US) while I'm bouncing around in Asia or Australia.

Is there a free proxy I can use?

I used to be able to do this by VPNing into my former corporate network, then it would show up as a CA IP address. But that is no longer an option.

Thanks.

Leave your home computer on. Get TeamViewer (ironically in one of the google ads on this page, at least for me).
    focus.

Look into the onion router also known as tor. It won't make it show up as a CA adress, but it will show up somewhere else in the world. Hope this helps.

There used to be a program that would do this - IP Anonymizer.
    But it appears someone (?) must have shut them down.

If you have two computers, you can set up a remote desktop with something like LogMeIn for free. It might not work well for something with a lot of graphics.
    Don't know if a CA based proxy server would work or not. Don't actually know much about them.

Sent from my DROID2
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

If you have Sonic as your ISP at home, then you can use their free VPN service.

But you were probably dumb and got Comcast. :P
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

x2 for teamviewer

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums

can you just use a proxy? ie google "california ip proxy" or whatever, find the ip address of a proxy server in CA, copy and paste it into the proxy settings in your browser, and browse like a boss?
    but I know we can't all stay here forever, so I wanna write my words on the face of today...

IF you've got high speed access to your home machine, set it up for remote access. Then use just use mstsc to connect to your home computer and run stuff in that remote terminal window.

IF you don't have high speed access to your home computer, you can still make this work, but it might be lurchy or drop the connection sometimes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I believe that the suggestion to remote control a machine that is in CA really is the only solid way to trick work and others.

I would just use Terminal services, comes with Windows.

Create all your docs, on home machine, use E-Mail on home machine. ect.

When I was a consultant we would have clients who insisted on having a (Local presence)

We would have a hotel room full of Lap Tops all VPN into local client. And we were home all across the country.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Witpoia, great proxy service and just like $40 a year.

You get servers wherever you want to VPN to.

I watch the british tv through it, works a charm

This thread's pretty old at this point, assuming SuPu isn't still tuning in to it, but just in general:

You'll need the pro version of whatever windows you're running on the host machine to connect via terminal services (mstsc, RDP, Windows remote desktop) - also a good deal less secure than teamviewer. You'd lose it altogether if your ISP changed your IP, too...which is another consideration if you're going to be a few thousand miles away for an extended period of time, and wouldn't be a problem with Teamviewer. Teamviewer isn't any less free, and isn't harder to set up.

Make sure you set it to automatically turn back on in the BIOS in the event of a power failure....
    focus.

bumping this. I want to watch TV & videos on overseas websites that are geoblocked here (I'm in Canada). Don't mind paying a reasonable amount.

I see Witopia mentioned above, it seems to be $49 or $69 for what I guess is a VPN account? Is this still a good option? Any other options out there?

Do these things run fast enough so streamed video still play ok?

privateinternetaccess.com

Useful. And fast enough that I can get 3 MB/S down when torrenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    bumping this. I want to watch TV & videos on overseas websites that are geoblocked here (I'm in Canada). Don't mind paying a reasonable amount.

I see Witopia mentioned above, it seems to be $49 or $69 for what I guess is a VPN account? Is this still a good option? Any other options out there?

Do these things run fast enough so streamed video still play ok?
    https://mediahint.com/ for US netflix, pandora and others.

I want to watch UK & Australian TV. privateinternetaccess.com doesn't have an Oz gateway. Witopia is a fail so far, too slow to stream (froze lots when I tried it today). The search goes on.

I've used blockless before. It works pretty good.

blockless doesn't seem to have an Oz gateway either. I've played with free proxies before, I think I'd rather pay for a more reliable service.

Oz tv? Wtf for? We're getting our asses handed to us in anything that may have been worth watching

don't want to watch sport (if that's what you are referring to?).

Tried hide my ass today, seems slow as shit also, certainly not good enough to stream video.
    Strong VPN doesn't have Australian servers either.

maybe it would help if you told us what you were trying to watch
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Thought I said it already (?). Streamed TV & video on overseas websites, eg: abc.net.au/iview, BBC (UK BBC not the Nth American cable version).

It'd probably also be used to watch US netflicks (more content on the US version compared to the Canadian version).

Heh, was wondering what could possibly interest someone about our tv channels but abc iview is pretty sweet. Better than watching the cricket or rugby atm. Only thing we're winning is aussie rules which is conveniently not played by anyone else

Sent from my GT-I9300T using TGR Forums