Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I've got an '06 Tundra crew cab. Nice configuration for a light truck (1/2 ton), full crew cab, six foot bed. I get 15mpg minimum from the 4.7L V8. That's mixed driving and several trips up Little Cottonwood and/or Parley's Canyons a week. Straight highway is 18 mpg easily.

That said, the 4.7 doesn't have an overabundance of power and the suspension isn't very heavy duty stock. Nice ride though and if you're not hauling heavy loads regularly it's fine. I put on an add-a-leaf and leveling kit and it does much better now, looks much better too. Cost for that was less than $300.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

doughboyshredder Guest
    My tundra is the 5.7l v8 crewmax with tow package and TRD suspension kit. Like I mentioned with the 10 ply tires at 80psi I am comfortable having a payload of up to a ton for a short distance. The other day I had 1500lbs of concrete in the bed along with a generator, concrete mixer, bunch of power tools, shovels, etc.. So, with me in the cab I was probably right around 2,000lbs and was barely sagging in the back. I have been very pleased with my Tundra.

I drive a '10 F150 supercrew w/5.4L and a canopy. I get around 18mpg average, with 19mpg on the highway.

I've heard the Ecoboost gets even better mileage.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I like diesels, but it doesn't seem to make sense in your case. Get a 1/2-ton gasser that's a few years old and you'll save so much money it would take decades for a more fuel efficient diesel to get ahead in savings (not to mention diesel fuel will probably cost more than gasoline for a long long time, until the NA refineries change their methods, etc.). Well, decades may be an exaggeration but it could take a while. Speaking literally to your original question, you'd likely have a hard time hauling a yard of dirt even in a 1-ton, so you might as well just get the half-ton since you'll probably have to make multiple trips anyway.

I do have experience with the Toyota 4.7 V8, and can say it seems like a great engine.

On a different note, this is funny:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
    ...carbonated vehicles, (you know, older cars)...

Quote Originally Posted by griddler View Post
    Speaking literally to your original question, you'd likely have a hard time hauling a yard of dirt even in a 1-ton, so you might as well just get the half-ton since you'll probably have to make multiple trips anyway.
    Perhaps my memory has enhanced the hauling capabilities over the years, but I used to own a 3/4 ton 75 silverado and remember doing house/yard projects where I'd get a yard of gravel in there. It was pretty well loaded, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    DJ, can you hear the turbos? That's half the fun IMO.
    Yup. Especially when you go to pass and it downshifts.

The only problem is that whoosing sound is a metric shitton of gas being poured in. Stay out of the turbo if you want to keep it above 18 mpg.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

So the diesel pump cut me off at a hundred bucks this morning. That almost got me to 3/4 of a tank. Then I reset the computer so that I could check my mileage between my house and work. Got 16.1mpg over the 36 mile round trip. Not too shabby I guess considering that the truck weighs over 8000lbs.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

13 - 14 city and 18 highway for a new vehicle SUCKS!!!

American diesels are great on torque but LOUSEY on fuel efficiency.

Diesel Land-Rover 110....33 mpg highway. Well over a ton payload. 1.4 ton payload, I think.

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post

I must say I don't understand why anyone that doesn't need a truck uses one for their daily driver.
    I don't understand how people can afford a $100 fill up on a routine basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post

Diesel Land-Rover 110....33 mpg highway. Well over a ton payload. 1.4 ton payload, I think.

That's nice. Tell you what - grab your <80hp rover and we'll go for a ride in my neighborhood with a 10k lb trailer attached and then pull into the next truck stop so the drivers can have a little chat with you.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    That's nice. Tell you what - grab your <80hp rover and we'll go for a ride in my neighborhood with a 10k lb trailer attached and then pull into the next truck stop so the drivers can have a little chat with you.
    You obviously know nothing about Land-Rovers. It's not about horsepower, it's about gearing.

Besides, the newish Rovers, like the one above, are far more than 80 hp.

But my 77hp rover, given it's 55:1 low-gearing with pull FAR more than 10,000lbs....albeit at a very low speed. There used to be a famous Land-Rover ad of a vintage-style Rover with railroad track wheels pulling 3 or more freight cars. A Tacoma doesn't have low enough gearing to do thatb...NOR a robust enough drive-train and frame. The Defender/Series rovers DO.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

You obviously know nothing about Land-Rovers. It's not about horsepower, it's about gearing.

Besides, the newish Rovers, like the one above, are far more than 80 hp.

But my 77hp rover, given it's 55:1 low-gearing with pull FAR more than 10,000lbs....albeit at a very low speed. There used to be a famous Land-Rover ad of a vintage-style Rover with railroad track wheels pulling 3 or more freight cars. A Tacoma doesn't have low enough gearing to do thatb...NOR a robust enough drive-train and frame. The Defender/Series rovers DO.

--

Where did I say it wouldn't tow it? You could probably tow 10k in a civic with the right gearing, doesn't mean it's a smart idea to head through the mountains with it. I love small displacement diesels, unfortunately NA doesn't and the bigger domestic trucks do serve a purpose.

FS truck as a daily driver to an office job doesn't make sense to me, but as a hauler & weekend rec vehicle that won't see many miles F150/1500s are great. Pretty easy to get Ford or Chev parts in rural NA, diesel RR not so much...

What I don't understand is that I get about 5 mpg driving 400 miles of curvy, hilly road with steep grades.. empty one way (about 40,000 lbs), and at about 130,000 lbs one way...

Seems like a diesel pickup could get WAY more mpg than 18-22?????

You have the right idea. I would be all over a Dakota diesel with the engine. From a sprinter. Or a taco diesel... Soo want.

I recently traded in my 06 F150 for a diesel. The F150 averaged about 15mpg unloaded. About 12 with a trailer, sometimes down to 8.

Now Ive got an 03 Cummins 5.9. It's been getting 22mpg. Haven't towed with it yet, curious to what it gets.

My decision to go diesel came down to longetivity. I'm tired of trading pickups in every couple of years. Hoping this pickup makes it to 800k

Bobby Stainless Guest
    My Titan can tow just about anything, but gets 12mpg on average.