Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    "really easy to get in and out of"
    You sure you have a Scarpa? Not my experience at all. No favorites here but between Dynafit (Ones and TLT) and RS...I always worry about loosing some blood (seiously) putting on and taking off the RS. Dynfits are a hassle but at least they are a given. Just takes patience. Not he man strength and some skill like the Scarpa. 190# and I found the Intuition liner on the RS packed out rather quickly imo last season. Really noticed it as the temps went up while spring skiing.
    Step 1) put boot in walk mode
    Step 2) pull upper cuff all the way back
    Step 3) swivel tongue out to the side

If you skip any of these steps, they would be a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Step 1) put boot in walk mode
    Step 2) pull upper cuff all the way back
    Step 3) swivel tongue out to the side

If you skip any of these steps, they would be a bitch.
    Yeah, I have a pair, bought them a size down, and still have no problems getting in and out, even when I don't flip the tongue to the side. But I have a pretty low volume foot. Besides, getting in and out of the boot is only 1/100 of your ski day. How they perform is much more important, and the RS does that pretty well IMHO...

For those considering a Titan Ultralight (UL) v. Maestrale RS... Yes, the Titan UL is no longer made by Dynafit, but I thought the comparo might be worthwhile to somebody.

I bought a BNIB Titan UL off gear swap in 29.5 (BSL was 332). I later (after finding the UL did not work for my foot) picked up a Maestrale RS in a 29 (BSL 326) at Alpenglow in Tahoe City at the end of season sale. My alpine boot is a Lange Super Blaster in 28.5 (BSL of 332 I think). I have a medium to slightly wider volume forefoot, and slightly narrow heel. Nothing otherwise abnormal with my feet. Brain is a different story.

For me, the Titan UL was narrow through the forefoot, medium at the hell, but I also found that the sizing was too big as my instep was swimming. Maestrale RS was medium in the forefoot, with lower volume instep, and medium-narrow at the heel, with better, more 3D cupping of the heel. Heel is still a tad big for me, but not so much to cause any problems, especially when that center buckle/strap is engaged on the descent.

Intuition liner is way better on the RS than the stock Dynafit, but that's not a surprise. I could also wank off about the hybrid-cabrio design, and the rockered vibram sole (but no alpine sole block), and the great flex and ROM, but I won't. Wank complete.

The Maestrale RS was leaps and bounds better for me, and a huge improvement over my first-gen Adrenalins. Highly recommend this boot!

And for good measure, here's a very different opinion from papatroller who sold me the Titan ULs:
    I skied the Red Titan over 100 days in Chile last summer and they ski like a dream stiffness and flex wise. The fit on the Titan UL seems about the same but a little bit more plush (better liner), and the flex seems more progressive and maybe a tad stiffer (carbon). I would say they are a pretty average fitting boot for those used to high performance boots. They are not foot crushing at all, probably around a 101 last. They a cozy warm. The only thing I would say is if you have a very, very high arch I would expect them to give you a little pain over the in step. However, that could probably be said for many shoes and boots. Perhaps a molded liner would take care of this but I just tried them on and that is my opinion. The have excellent heel hold and fit like a glove for my medium arch, pretty standard athletic foot. However, I have so many boots they have to go. I would suggest titans run maybe a half size small (meaning I size up) but that could just be my imagination.

Overall, a great boot for average to flatter, fatter feet. I would stay away from this boot if you are looking for a super tight plugish race boot to ski front side or if you have a very high arch.

Just wanted to BIG UP scarpa customer service. I got 2 new walk mechanisms quick after an email and a short message to them. Nice to have them in my pack.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Bump

Picked up a pair of these in 29.5-30 shell. BSL = 331mm. evo BSL chart (usually reliable) says 336mm. What's going on? Did Scarpa shorten the shell for 2013-14?

that's weird.
    i have a 25.5-26.0 and it's a 297mm.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

26.5-27.0 is 306mm which is the same deal as the orange Maestrales. I bought mine last spring though.

Now that these have been around for a season or more, can anyone comment on using the tongues in an old orange Maestrale?

If it's a good way to stiffen them up a bit,
    are they available separately yet?

I just picked up a pair of the old ones from gearswap, but am a little concerned with the flex..

I'm currently in Typhoons as an everyday boot and in variable snow I find that they fold under me a little more often than I'd like. (Size 24.5, Intuition wrap around liners, 3 band boosters, I weigh 170#)

You can't get the tongues separately. Scarpa doesn't have them as a SKU. Maybe in Europe but I don't know. Now on 70+ days on my pair. No broken parts.

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    Just wanted to BIG UP scarpa customer service. I got 2 new walk mechanisms quick after an email and a short message to them. Nice to have them in my pack.
    If I were you, I'd install the new walk mechanisms before you hit the hill. I removed my walk mechanisms to see if I have the old or new version, and despite being careful I stripped half of the screw heads, which are very shallow and made of soft metal. (I didn't bother heating up the screws to loosen the Loc-tite, since I wanted to see if they could be removed with nothing but an allen key.) Had to drill off the heads and twist out the studs with a vice-grip; not something you'll be able to do in a pinch.

I replaced the factory screws with stainless M4 x 14mm socket head screws, which take a larger allen key and have a much deeper socket. The weight increase is negligible.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

I just picked up a pair of the old ones from gearswap, but am a little concerned with the flex..
    All the talk of soft Maestrales had me concerned, too. However, I've been very impressed with my mangoes, and never yearned for a much stiffer boot (Praxis Protests and BCs).

I did one stupidly simple mod, which has worked really well: Take a piece of approx 5mm EVA foam - 3 x 5" or so - and stick it between shell and tongue, ankle to shin. It makes the flex even more progressive, and to me feels stiffer rather than softer. Go figure.

Is okay to ski my maestrales in first gen marker dukes? I have read in a couple different places that it's fine, but when I put the boot in the binding the binding digs into the plastic on both the toe and heel. This has created slight indentations in the toe and heel of the boot, which worries me regarding release characteristics.

The AFD is engaged by the sole of the boot, but if the binding is pressed into the toe and heel of the boot with enough force to leave indentations it makes me wonder if the binding will release as it's supposed to.

Also with the forward pressure worm screw flush, as it should be, it takes significantly more force to enter the binding relative to a din soled alpine boot. Any feedback would be appreciated, unsure as to whether or not I should strictly ski the maestrales with my tech mounted skis.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    Is okay to ski my maestrales in first gen marker dukes? I have read in a couple different places that it's fine, but when I put the boot in the binding the binding digs into the plastic on both the toe and heel. This has created slight indentations in the toe and heel of the boot, which worries me regarding release characteristics.

The AFD is engaged by the sole of the boot, but if the binding is pressed into the toe and heel of the boot with enough force to leave indentations it makes me wonder if the binding will release as it's supposed to.

Also with the forward pressure worm screw flush, as it should be, it takes significantly more force to enter the binding relative to a din soled alpine boot. Any feedback would be appreciated, unsure as to whether or not I should strictly ski the maestrales with my tech mounted skis.
    Marker Duke features adjustable toe height. Your AT boots have a thicker sole, so you'll prob need to lower the AFD plate to give yourself more room for the thicker toe.

Duke heels are beefy and will chew up soft boot heel blocks. This is unavoidable, and not a big deal. Make sure your forward pressure is correctly set. (See: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ukes-or-Barons )

I spent one season on the 1st Gen Dukes and the Garmont Endorphin and both the toe and heel were chewed up very badly. The toe had deep grooves worn in from the rollers on the binding and the heel was also mangled. I have seen the same thing happen on many boots at the shop I work at. Even when they are set correctly many boots will be affected by Dukes and it does impact the release performance of the binding. I would recommend replacing the binding with a newer one or a model from another company.

Quote Originally Posted by RARSki View Post
    Even when they are set correctly many boots will be affected by Dukes and it does impact the release performance of the binding. I would recommend replacing the binding with a newer one or a model from another company.
    Well I have tech bindings on a different set of skis, so that's not the issue. I was just curious as to whether I could jump on another set of skis that I have mounted with dukes without changing my boots.

If it's going to fuck up the release characteristics, like you say, and keep me in the binding when I should release I'm not going to do it.

Does anyone else have opinions on whether or not a duke with properly adjusted toe height will release normally with a maestrale.

Well I have tech bindings on a different set of skis, so that's not the issue. I was just curious as to whether I could jump on another set of skis that I have mounted with dukes without changing my boots.

If it's going to fuck up the release characteristics, like you say, and keep me in the binding when I should release I'm not going to do it.

Does anyone else have opinions on whether or not a duke with properly adjusted toe height will release normally with a maestrale.
    Yes, I have had several pairs of them tested. They test out to release fine. Some pairs are a tiny bit snug on the AFD clearance out of the box, but after the sole wears even the smallest amount, getting proper clearance is no problem at all.

Any comparison with the mobes in terms of skiing ability?

^ comparable in my opinion. Maestrale RS is probably a touch softer but the fit makes up for it for me. Mobe has a wide forefoot but also a large heel pocket. I much prefer the RS.

The RS is noticeably softer than the mobe in my opinion, however the fit is significantly better so overall downhill experience is improved. I did find that adding a booster strap improved the RS skiing characteristics. I think if the mobe provides you a perfect fit then you would notice a large decline in downhill performance going to the RS. Just my opinion from owning both.

I'm going to have to agree with Matt on this. The Mobe's toebox and forefoot in particular are pretty big volume

Finally got my RS's on the snow about a week ago, and am really liking them. Was initially worried that they would be a no-go with my high instep. Molding didn't create enough instep room, so I removed the tongues from the liners, opened the stitching along one side, peeled back the nylon inner surface, and took a 4" flap wheel grinder to the foam. Ended up removing about 1/4" layer of foam from bottom of each tongue to the "lower" indent (where the shell tongue fits), and feathered it out to the sides. For reference, with the liner tongues removed and my foot in the boot, my instep is flush with the slot in the shell - so the lower section of the tongues has to be thin. (Not using insoles would help with the instep height, but I like the support.)

Still pretty snug across the instep, even with the bottom two buckles as loose as possible, but it's all good. Might remove the #1 buckle to save weight, since it's not doing anything on my feet. No doubt the boots will fit even better as the liners pack and ball and heel sink into the liners. Definitely liking the flex for my weight (168 lbs bare), and am glad I risked taking the grinder to brand-new boots. The shells are a tight fit and were a bit of a gamble with no more than one finger behind my heel (size 9 street shoe, size 26 shells). My last boots were 26.5 Skookums, which were comfy for hiking/skinning but just too big for the down.

Thanks Scarpa, another fine boot.

Side note: In Baron's the AFD has to be almost completely lowered to fit the RS rockered sole. It fits fine though, just bottom out the AFD and then come back up a hair.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 12-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Spoke with Scarpa today about getting some spare parts, and found out there was a running change to the RS shell tongue. The 1st-gen gloss black plastic tongue was updated to a matte black plastic tongue, which is said to be a slightly softer flex.

Maybe they thought the RS was too stiff for the target user (or was competing with the new Freedom), or they were trying to make it better in walk mode.

side note: most of my quiver and skiing is NTN tele, but I have a couple of skis mounted dynafit & recently mounted some newish 191 Mantras with the Marker Lords. Really liking the fit of the Maestrale RS's, although I was surprised to find I needed a 29.0 (in Scarpa boots I usually find a 28.0 works). PLenty of room for my high instep/med width foot. Heel pocket is reasonably snug but may need a thin L pad.

The AFD on the Markers is moved all the way forward and yet there's barely enough clearance for the RS sole. Rubber mallet testing shows reasonable return-to-center but I may dremel off a little bit of the boot sole to provide a less tight fit. Had one day on the RS/Lord/Mantra combo on refrozen kirkwood conditions and was pretty happy with how well these boots drive the skis. My only concern is the upper metal hinge on the tongue, which protrudes out and behind the ball of foot area; on my fattish AT skis (lotus 120s) I'm pretty sure that hinge is going to get ground down over time from edge hits from the other ski. Hypothetical issue at this point.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Anyone else notice some upper cuff play/slop in ski mode? I noticed it today on the bench while adjusting the forward pressure on some tech binders.

Basically when the boot is locked in ski mode the upper cuff rattles back and forth a bit, maybe a half inch or so. It's not subtle. Anyone else have this play? I'm presuming it's not normal, but maybe I'm wrong and it's been there all along.

The screws on the back of the boot near the walk mode lever are tight. I can't disassemble the damn walk mode hardware because those small metric screws stripped pretty much immediately trying to loosen them.

This is season 2, probably about 60 days on them now.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    Anyone else notice some upper cuff play/slop in ski mode? I noticed it today on the bench while adjusting the forward pressure on some tech binders.

Basically when the boot is locked in ski mode the upper cuff rattles back and forth a bit, maybe a half inch or so. It's not subtle. Anyone else have this play? I'm presuming it's not normal, but maybe I'm wrong and it's been there all along.

The screws on the back of the boot near the walk mode lever are tight. I can't disassemble the damn walk mode hardware because those small metric screws stripped pretty much immediately trying to loosen them.

This is season 2, probably about 60 days on them now.

I don't have much to add other than YES I have experienced the play in ski mode as well (maybe not a half inch but definitely noticeable). I had 50 days on mine. All 4 of my cuff hinges broke so Mountain Gear gave me a new set of shells yesterday. The new shells are tight w/out play. Perhaps the ski/walk mode pin hole gets oblong?? Not sure...I didn't do any investigating myself.