Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Rob - its the same way. Ie if she wants the lesser fwd lean stand upright then have her click into the walk mode and lean fwd. To get into the most fwd lean have her lean way fwd then engage the walk mode
    Hey, don't lean too far forward...

Yesterday was my first day on my new pair of these boots. I felt like the lean angle wasn't far enough forward, and I tried to make sure I was clicked into the farther of the two positions, same as my Megarides. Snap! On both boots I leaned too far forward and the lower shell popped out from under the upper cuff. Now the plastic is seriously munged up and I think the lock is actually broken on one of them. I'm not sure what to do. I really didn't like the way they were skiing before this happened, although maybe I just needed to get used to them. Now I've got two messed up boots. What a downer.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

^^^ warranty per Scarpa NA. Contact them

One Boot? Anybody using this as one boot or have any thoughts about using the RS as an only boot? I'm 140 lbs, Ski aggressive but no air. Thinking about either this or the Freedom Freeride. Don't need interchangeable soles as I use the Fritschi Freeride at resorts and shorter tours. Tech bindings for backcountry. 70% resorts and 30% backcountry. Most backcountry days are Colorado 14ers in the springtime. Shorter pass tours and sidecountry in winter. Currently skiing in Skookum and looking for something with a better fit for low volume feet and a sweeter flex.

Quote Originally Posted by shaman161 View Post
    One Boot? Anybody using this as one boot or have any thoughts about using the RS as an only boot? I'm 140 lbs, Ski aggressive but no air. Thinking about either this or the Freedom Freeride. Don't need interchangeable soles as I use the Fritschi Freeride at resorts and shorter tours. Tech bindings for backcountry. 70% resorts and 30% backcountry. Most backcountry days are Colorado 14ers in the springtime. Shorter pass tours and sidecountry in winter. Currently skiing in Skookum and looking for something with a better fit for low volume feet and a sweeter flex.
    Was the only boot I wore all winter. Skied it with both W99's and Manhattans. No issues.

i think i could use them as my only boots. i still ski fulltilts/raichles if im using lifts, because i ski better with a progressive flexing boot (maestrale rs are just stiff), but i could live with just the rs, especially if i was skiing mainly good snow.

freak~[&]

They will work fine as an only boot, especially since you are on Fritchies. The boots are not the rate limiting step.

Durability will likely be an issue. Keep tightening that hardware.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    They will work fine as an only boot, especially since you are on Fritchies. The boots are not the rate limiting step.

Durability will likely be an issue. Keep tightening that hardware.
    Exactly. Those bindings can't keep up with those boots.
    39 days last season and 33 of those were in my Maestrale RS boots.
    Totally stoked on these! No issues except the hyperflexing of the walk mode but figured it out by being smoother in challenging spots on the up.
    My favorite AT boot to date.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

The RS really does look like my next buy, despite previous irritation and bitterness at repeatedly breaking/loosing connecting hardware on my orange Mastrales in the last two seasons. And the way the tongue 'flattens' with time and the boot looses fit as a result.

It is light, skis well, is affordable, really easy to get in and out of, especially in a tent/snowcave and COMES WITH AN INTUITION LINER - saving me another $200.

Some Dynafits offer me a better fit, but they are spendy, and have fiddly little buckle clips and thin soles that I would absolutely trash in the 300+ touring days I need from a shell. When I look at the gnarled-up dog-chewed state of previous shells, soles and buckles... then I look at a top-end Dynafit boot, I just can't see them lasting the distance. Great boots that I lust after, but I'm a "poor" daily user, not a weekender with a paycheck. Gear's just gotta last longer. Boots shells gotta last 3 seasons, and if they don't, they have to be $600 not $900. The Radium shell was very durable, though I lost a few buckles. Reckon the Cochise Pro Light AT (what ever it is called) looks simple steamlined and durable as well. Pity about the fit on my foot.

Note: the Scarpa NA Facebook pages is currently offering a 50% off tune-up service. Send boots in, they come back all fixed up ready for winter. I don't live in NA and no way I would ever get that service where I do live. But it still "sells" the brand to me.
    Life is not lift served.

RS shells wont make it for 3 years, i think i can tell that after 1/2 year. im gonna be happy if they make 2. the orange ones just made 1.5 years for me...

freak~[&]

My Orange shells didn't really even last 1.5 seasons without almost complete hardware re-builds - some parts numerous times. (1 season = 100-120 days of use).

Never going to get 3 functional seasons out the RS. I totally agree.

But at least they cost closer to $660 rather than $900, and come with Intuition.

And i do not know of any other slim-fitting AT boots that are more durable anyway.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    And i do not know of any other slim-fitting AT boots that are more durable anyway.
    thats true of course. not even any at boots out there that are really durable, its ok if they are done after 2 seasons, i just dont like it when stuff falls of all the time...

freak~[&]

It is light, skis well, is affordable, really easy to get in and out of, especially in a tent/snowcave and COMES WITH AN INTUITION LINER - saving me another $200.

Some Dynafits offer me a better fit, but they are spendy, and have fiddly little buckle clips and thin soles that I would absolutely trash in the 300+ touring days I need from a shell. When I look at the gnarled-up dog-chewed state of previous shells, soles and buckles... then I look at a top-end Dynafit boot, I just can't see them lasting the distance. Great boots that I lust after, but I'm a "poor" daily user, not a weekender with a paycheck. Gear's just gotta last longer. Boots shells gotta last 3 seasons, and if they don't, they have to be $600 not $900. The Radium shell was very durable, though I lost a few buckles. Reckon the Cochise Pro Light AT (what ever it is called) looks simple steamlined and durable as well.
    how do the scarpa spec'ed intuition liners hold up for folks cuz I was told they were made to spec for scarpa as opposed to being the same liner you would buy after market from intuition?

still better than no intuition

everytime I play with those fiddly/spindly looking little dynafit clips and buckles I wonder how they could possibly not break but mine didn't and the dynafit shell fit was better for me
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    how do the scarpa spec'ed intuition liners hold up for folks cuz I was told they were made to spec for scarpa as opposed to being the same liner you would buy after market from intuition?

still better than no intuition

everytime I play with those fiddly/spindly looking little dynafit clips and buckles I wonder how they could possibly not break but mine didn't and the dynafit shell fit was better for me
    Shar uses the Scarpa Intuition liner. 2 years now - 50 + days each season and they're still fine. They were the stock Maestrale Intuition liner. Main difference is the foam was thinner at base of the foot so you could stick a footbed in there

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had a middle buckle loop just strip out. Pulled the cable end right out of it's housing. Fortunately if you tear off all the plastic shit there is just a hole in the buckle arm. Double looped some stainless wire through there and you wonder why they had the plastic housing at all. It's the most field repairable buckle I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    I had a middle buckle loop just strip out. Pulled the cable end right out of it's housing. Fortunately if you tear off all the plastic shit there is just a hole in the buckle arm. Double looped some stainless wire through there and you wonder why they had the plastic housing at all. It's the most field repairable buckle I have seen.

good to know,thanx!
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Picked up a pair without being able to try them on first, and the nasty sharp edge on the underside of the tongue (the channel for the center strap) cuts into my instep something fierce. (I have a really high instep.) Haven't molded the liners yet, but they aren't very thick in that area and it's hard to say if molding will be enough. If that doesn't work, might have to add some material to the underside of the tongue on either side of the fin to take pressure off. Can't grind off the sharp edge since there's no material behind it.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 10-02-2013 at 08:10 AM.

No problems with mine in that spot. Can this area be punched? If your issue is not enough volume then padding may not be enough. I had a punch put in my left shell at the navicular bone right where the two shells overlap. No issues with flex.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

I had a similar issue with other Scarpa boots years ago (spirits maybe?). I ended up getting different boots that fit me better.

snowgage: what's your experience with the ski/walk mechanism after the replacement?

Mine are starting to develop a slight play in ski mode, I disassembled the mechanism and found the same plastic gasket/bushing as you described (also stripped the screw heads). Will contact scarpa to get a replacement.

/Hegge

Quote Originally Posted by snowgage View Post
    My experience with my Maestrale RS. These boots absolutely rock!

Unfortunately on the 15th day or so both boots would not stay locked in ski-mode.

I called Scarpa and they sent me replacement ski/walk mechanisms which they look to have improved significantly.

I found it interesting that both boots failed on the same day. I think this only reinforces the fact the the ski/walk mechanism is significantly flawed. Look at the photo and you can see where the plastic gasket thingy wore and failed on both mechanisms. On the replacement parts this gasket looks to be made of metal instead of plastic which I am hoping permanently resolves this problem.

Attachment 135415

I would suggest that anyone who has these boots call Scarpa and get replacement mechanisms ASAP. It's only a matter of time until this gasket wears and fails. With the range of motion in walk-mode I can attest that skiing these in walk mode sucks big time.

my 2¢

j

"really easy to get in and out of"
    You sure you have a Scarpa? Not my experience at all. No favorites here but between Dynafit (Ones and TLT) and RS...I always worry about loosing some blood (seiously) putting on and taking off the RS. Dynfits are a hassle but at least they are a given. Just takes patience. Not he man strength and some skill like the Scarpa. 190# and I found the Intuition liner on the RS packed out rather quickly imo last season. Really noticed it as the temps went up while spring skiing.

Dane, you are confusing me. The entire front of a Maestrale opens up like a barn door with its hinged tongue. It could not be easier to get on/off.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by hegge View Post
    snowgage: what's your experience with the ski/walk mechanism after the replacement?

Mine are starting to develop a slight play in ski mode, I disassembled the mechanism and found the same plastic gasket/bushing as you described (also stripped the screw heads). Will contact scarpa to get a replacement.

/Hegge
    I removed the ski/walk mechanisms from my boots to see if my pair has the plastic or aluminum bushing, and stripped two of the screw heads even when being careful. Had to drill them off. IMHO, the stock screws are too difficult to remove for field repairs (ice in the mechanism, for example), so I replaced the soft, low-profile original screws with stainless M4 x 14mm socket heads. No stripping those, and couldn't weigh more than a few grams more. Haven't decided on Lock-tite or Vibra-Tite for them yet.

To be sure there is no confusion for anyone looking to get into a RS, it is absolutely the easiest boot ever to get into and out of and same goes for the liner. Also, the best boot ever!

Haven't skied the freedom yet but so far think the RS absolutely tops it in pretty much every way: stiffer, easier in/out, walks better, climbs better, better ROM, rockered sole. Only one reason to get a boot like the freedom and that is if you want one boot in bounds and out or for travelling.

That's all.

Dane, you are confusing me. The entire front of a Maestrale opens up like a barn door with its hinged tongue. It could not be easier to get on/off.
    +1.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    If you don't get the flip tongue out of the upper cuff, it would be a bear to get in and out.
    That's true, but that's why they installed the type of tongue they did. Used as it's meant to be, it is so easy.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."