Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Lock tite. Pretty simple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    Yes, I know. More wondering if others are having the same issue. This is the first boot I've owned that has this particular canting system and first time I've had this issue recurring. Curious whether it is a system issue or just a one-off?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I lost two canting bolts in my orange Maestrale, and skied a full three days without it once. But the RS is apparently using new hardware, so what would I know.
    Life is not lift served.

screws kept getting loose in my orange ones all the time. basically all screws, even after loctiting them (just not as bad anymore) pretty annoying. ive also seem several people on the ski track who had lost the canting screws while skinning and therefore could not use the buckle anymore.
    no issues with the rs so far. most screws are bolts now anyway and canting screws behave like in any other boot...

freak~[&]

I'm now on day 44 with the Maestrale RS. Because I'm paranoid after the screws and fasteners on the Maestrales loosening I obsessively check the fasteners and they're fine.

Shar has the Gea RS and she has about 35+ days and i check those too - no problems. Contrast with the mango Maestrales where the hardware kept loosening. I still carry the repair kit if I'm in the field for a week or longer but haven't used it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I'm now on day 44 with the Maestrale RS. Because I'm paranoid after the screws and fasteners on the Maestrales loosening I obsessively check the fasteners and they're fine.

Shar has the Gea RS and she has about 35+ days and i check those too - no problems. Contrast with the mango Maestrales where the hardware kept loosening. I still carry the repair kit if I'm in the field for a week or longer but haven't used it.
    Lee,
    What do you carry in your repair kit? I haven't had any issues with the cant screw/bolt falling out (yet, knock on wood) but more just loosening and the canting changing as the day goes on. Happens on only one boot so far, but it happens maybe 5min into use every time.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Lee,
    What do you carry in your repair kit? I haven't had any issues with the cant screw/bolt falling out (yet, knock on wood) but more just loosening and the canting changing as the day goes on. Happens on only one boot so far, but it happens maybe 5min into use every time.
    Its a repair kit of bolts, fasteners, loctite, in a ziploc bag that Scarpa NA sent to me after I emailed. AFAIK it was sent to every one in Noram who had a mango Maestrale on request. I don't carry it on day tours. Knock on wood but no problem with the canting mech on the RS

Its a repair kit of bolts, fasteners, loctite, in a ziploc bag that Scarpa NA sent to me after I emailed. AFAIK it was sent to every one in Noram who had a mango Maestrale on request. I don't carry it on day tours. Knock on wood but no problem with the canting mech on the RS
    Thanks. I emailed them this morning requesting a new canting mechanism, figuring it was an issue with the one mechanism as it's only occurring on one boot, but I'll see if I can grab one of those kits as well. Thanks again.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums

My experience with my Maestrale RS. These boots absolutely rock!

Unfortunately on the 15th day or so both boots would not stay locked in ski-mode.

I called Scarpa and they sent me replacement ski/walk mechanisms which they look to have improved significantly.

I found it interesting that both boots failed on the same day. I think this only reinforces the fact the the ski/walk mechanism is significantly flawed. Look at the photo and you can see where the plastic gasket thingy wore and failed on both mechanisms. On the replacement parts this gasket looks to be made of metal instead of plastic which I am hoping permanently resolves this problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130326_122209.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	135415

I would suggest that anyone who has these boots call Scarpa and get replacement mechanisms ASAP. It's only a matter of time until this gasket wears and fails. With the range of motion in walk-mode I can attest that skiing these in walk mode sucks big time.

my 2¢

j

MrsBrit just spent her first weekend in new Scarpa Gea RS (women's Maestrale) She's very happy with them but feels like there may be too much forward lean compared to her Alpine boots..

I haven't spent more than 20 seconds looking for it and there with her skis at the store this week for a mount....but how does the 16/20 degree lean adjustment work on these? Is it similar to the Garmont mode switch that it depends on whether you click by leaning legg backwards or forwards into ski mode... and that she's therefore going to the 20 degree by default?

Want to try and figure it out before she further confuses things by adding some dynafit ramp angle into the mix.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Rob - its the same way. Ie if she wants the lesser fwd lean stand upright then have her click into the walk mode and lean fwd. To get into the most fwd lean have her lean way fwd then engage the walk mode

Rob - its the same way. Ie if she wants the lesser fwd lean stand upright then have her click into the walk mode and lean fwd. To get into the most fwd lean have her lean way fwd then engage the walk mode
    Ah. As I Suspected. But wondered if there was some allen wrenching involved given the bag of parts and tools they came with.

Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgage View Post
    My experience with my Maestrale RS. These boots absolutely rock!

Unfortunately on the 15th day or so both boots would not stay locked in ski-mode.

I called Scarpa and they sent me replacement ski/walk mechanisms which they look to have improved significantly.

I found it interesting that both boots failed on the same day. I think this only reinforces the fact the the ski/walk mechanism is significantly flawed. Look at the photo and you can see where the plastic gasket thingy wore and failed on both mechanisms. On the replacement parts this gasket looks to be made of metal instead of plastic which I am hoping permanently resolves this problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130326_122209.jpg 
Views:	634 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	135415

I would suggest that anyone who has these boots call Scarpa and get replacement mechanisms ASAP. It's only a matter of time until this gasket wears and fails. With the range of motion in walk-mode I can attest that skiing these in walk mode sucks big time.

my 2¢

j
    Good to know, thanks.

I work at a shop that sells them and I got a pair for my self as well. They tour very favourably with the orig. Maestrale but ski much better. They are distinctly stiffer and drive big skis, like the G3 Empire 127, with authority.

At our shop I have seen 2 sets of broken tongues and a few (3-5) broken walk mechanisms.

When mine came in I skied them once or twice and then ground out every rivet on the boot and every cuff screw with a flange, and put all new screws and hardware on (with locktite). I also put an expert Booster strap and added a custom paint job.
    I like have screws for all my buckles because I do believe it is stronger, and if I break a top buckle, I want to be able to take one of the useless tow buckles off and use it to get down.
    Rivets can fail just as bolts can loosen and come out. I like bolts because I can maintain and replace them in the field.
    Many of the bolts on the boot are aluminium and I find that their hex keys don't always fit. I like to replace the bolts with steel and I only use a proper set of hex keys or the hex bits for my Leatherman to work on them.

^ AT boot gear modifications have reached a new low..... now it's custom graphics too.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ^ AT boot gear modifications have reached a new low..... now it's custom graphics too.
    With your Mercurys changing color( and the color change accelerating almost daily) perhaps you should consider this. It's getting embarrassing man and you need to do something about it.
    My Vulcans are still perfect and not changing color.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

I think that if I am going to have a pair o boots custom fit, and modified for increased performance, a custom paint job is a nice way to finish it off. It's not like Scarpa hit it out of the park with their graphics on the things.

RARSki, do you do vagazzling?

Quote Originally Posted by Rimwalker View Post
    RARSki, do you do vagazzling?
    Leave the guy alone...he's got an addiction to baby dill pickles and likes to paint his boots....tolerance man, tolerance.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Leave the guy alone...he's got an addiction to baby dill pickles

Pickle lube in blue bottle behind dill jar?

that reminds me of back in the day when my 4yr old did a custom job on my vetta corsa bike helmet with a purple crayon ... the art was so crude it was cool
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Here are some thoughts after riding the RS mostly slackcountry this season.
    I initially tried the stock liner but wasn't getting the fit I wanted so I put in a surefoot liner (X3).
    Tours nice and is stiff enough for what I'm using it for. The bigger buckles are great for quickly clamping down for the descent. If you're using the last teeth on the top buckle, move it to one of the next holes, it makes a difference on the leverage point and feel of the boot. I just figured this out this season on my alpine boots also.

I use them to drive Squad 7's with Dynafit Radical FT. The biggest issue I had was the ramp angle of the binding. It didn't feel right to me so I finally got around to adding the B&D toe shims and what a difference. Now the whole setup feels much better, I don't feel like I'm flexing the tongue towards the ground anymore, but driving the ski. Steeps also feel better without all that forward lean/ramp angle. Long cat tracks feel better as my quads are more relaxed. Skinning feels fine with flat terrain having a nicer stride and feel.

I've had them punched several times for my wide feet and so far shell holding up. I can't comment on durability since I don't have that many days on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumi-Jakke View Post
    So 2 weeks now and boots are still with Scarpa / no information from Scarpa. Send an e-mail to warranty department, no reply. They havent replied voice messages either.
    Since I´m skiing almost daily, rental costs are adding up...
    I know this is France, but this is getting ridiculous.
    Update.
    After waiting almost three weeks, got my old boots back fron Scarpa. According to Scarpa they have been repaired and ready for use.

Now after two days of skiing, I was going to tour on Les Marecottes backside, when heelpiece came off again ! On top of that, other heelpiece was loose and getting ready to pop off. This is dangerous stuff. I wonder what Scarpa thinks about their customers safety ?

Boots are back in local bootshop and they are calling Scarpa tomorrow. Ofcource I`m asking for refund.

Any ideas how can I make Scarpa accept their responsilibity about their own products and refund or atleast replace the shells ?

Update.
    After waiting almost three weeks, got my old boots back fron Scarpa. According to Scarpa they have been repaired and ready for use.

Now after two days of skiing, I was going to tour on Les Marecottes backside, when heelpiece came off again ! On top of that, other heelpiece was loose and getting ready to pop off. This is dangerous stuff. I wonder what Scarpa thinks about their customers safety ?

Boots are back in local bootshop and they are calling Scarpa tomorrow. Ofcource I`m asking for refund.

Any ideas how can I make Scarpa accept their responsilibity about their own products and refund or atleast replace the shells ?
    Dude! Sorry but you are way too nice. Channel the inner grizzly bear and demand some action. Call Scarpa directly / post on their facebook page / whatever it takes! Grow a pair!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Scarpa finally refunds me. Now waiting for the payment to my credit card. Might aike awhile I believe...
    Meanwhile bought Chams last pair of Mercurys, out of stock everywhere and same goes for Vulcans...

Scarpa finally refunds me. Now waiting for the payment to my credit card. Might aike awhile I believe...
    Meanwhile bought Chams last pair of Mercurys, out of stock everywhere and same goes for Vulcans...
    Start Haus still shows a few sizes on the Mercury on their website.