Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Glen at Excess Backcountry did the initial punching, he's good.
    I then upgraded to a Surefoot liner and got them to do some more tweaking.
    I'll write a review once I'm satisfied with the overall setup. The boots are good, feel better with the new liner. Right now I'm looking at options on reducing the ramp angle/forward lean on the Dynafit Radical FT.
    I wish I could just swap the walk mode pin in the boot with one that's a bit more upright.

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    ^^ Personally I like the one closest to the toes. I could see how folks would like to ditch the "over arch" buckle.
    Agreed. I would consider that but I like them just the way they are right out of the box. No mods yet but want footbeds and possible small pinch on left foot around navicular bone. Just like my orange pair but better bcuz they dont get soft n squishy in warmer temps. RS is now the best AT boot I have ever put my feet in. Amazing. Yesterday did a s 2 mile skin in and ski out and climbed n skied approx 4500 vert. Just awesome.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

what's the last on the maestale? can't seem to find it, but then, I also haven't gone through this whole thread yet
    "Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." -Warren Miller
    Ephesians 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    what's the last on the maestale? can't seem to find it, but then, I also haven't gone through this whole thread yet
    101mm If I remember right.

If you are looking for widths check this link I compiled them all last year. http://powdergangster.blogspot.ca/20...ghter-and.html

Quote Originally Posted by Karl May View Post
    Both maestrale and the rs are 101mm

Has anyone ground the soles down on these to fit into a salomon guardian? While these fit great, I already have the guardian mounted and they don't take a rockered AT sole. (Wish I had known that before) I am buying a dynafit set up next year, but I am looking for a boot that I can tour with easier this year that will go well with a new set up next year. If I did grind the sole to fit, would that throw of any of the skiing or walking cuff angles?

so did anyone take the top buckle of to replace it with an old maestrale buckle? i do not like the new buckle so much, the old one was way easier to stay half-closed in the widest open position, which does not work so well in the RS...

freak~[&]

I have been thinking about chopping the bottom buckle. Just flaps for me.

Maybe some mods this summer.

The clasping of buckles when icy has been a challenge

Sent from my SGH-I727R using TGR Forums

Has anyone put a lot of days on the RS and can comment on their durability so far?
    I had 2 pairs of Maestrales, and would pretty much break every buckle, hinge, and moving part after around 50 days of use.
    I'm guessing that the RS is the same (which is why I didn't buy it), but would love to hear any evidence to the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by llyon View Post
    Has anyone put a lot of days on the RS and can comment on their durability so far?
    I had 2 pairs of Maestrales, and would pretty much break every buckle, hinge, and moving part after around 50 days of use.
    I'm guessing that the RS is the same (which is why I didn't buy it), but would love to hear any evidence to the contrary.
    take a look at this, might help you taking some conclusions, 50 days reportposted here a while back

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...eoshell-jacket

Llyon, my experience exactly with the Maestrale boots. I was told that the RS has all improved hardware. I'll still hold off the RS until I see some 100+ day reviews by people who do not work in the review business.
    Life is not lift served.

i havent skied the rs a lot, but can probably comment on the changes a bit. the hardwar has been changed, dunno if really improved. i never had issues witht he two lower buckles on my orange maestrales, except that they were not really doing anything. on the rs the position is changed a bit and they actually do reduce the volume a bit if closed. i dont really like the two upper buckles or the rs so far. not as suitable for skinning and overall a bit wierd (maybe because im so used to thw old buckles though). theyre bolted now not screwed as in the orange maestrales, which mean they will not keep getting unscrewed and fall off all the time, but i think the bolts might just bend over time and develop some play or break at some point.
    the powerstrap on the orange maestrales was nicer, think i might put old ones to the maestrale rs.
    i still think the way the tongue is attached is quite stupid. never liked that opening to the side thing which isnt good for anything and nothing really changed there from orange maestrales to rs.

freak~[&]

I removed the lower buckle on mine, did nothing. Also got rid of the static powerstrap, didn't like the way in changed the flex. I've been digging the boot so far. It is the best of the touring boots I've owned (Tornado, Lazer, quest propebax w/ the faulty tech inserts, Radium) Good friend of mine just broke his walk mode up at Chatter. Said he hit a drop and then no more skimode. Figure the pin has sheared off. But for me so far so good.

Anyone get an extra ski/walk mechanism in case of field breakages? After reading that last post, I will. I broke way to many factor mechanisms to not have one... Im sad to hear it is happening on the RS.

Sending it from NorCal
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Short 60 days report: durability issues !
    Skier: 78 kg
    Style: not aggressive, more like energy saving style

I have been using RS mainly for touring and off-piste skiing. They tour and ski very well, BUT

-heelpiece tech insert broken 3 times. Scarpas local presentative fixed other shell 2 times. Same heelpiece coming loose again. Also managed to broke heelpiece on other shell. Always same issue, screw brokes and other half gets "stucked inside heel" and metal tech insert drops off. This has happened during on pretty big days (at least for me), very annoying
    - hinge that attaches black tongue, broke, very hard to get replacement hinge from Scarpa

At the moment both shells useless. As I`m really frustrated now, contacted Scarpa via local bootshop (great service there). Scarpa wont replace`em without seeing them. So rite now shells being shipped to Scarpa for their inspections and I`m planning to spend some quality time with my old friend, a cold beer.

Conclusions: nice boots, but cant take the heat. Scarpa`s cusomer service big question mark rite now. Will update how things go...

Does anyone have a size 25.0?

Quote Originally Posted by uysy_ View Post
    Does anyone have a size 25.0?
    Take it to Gear Swap, JONG

I dig scarpa boots alot, the fit, the range, the flex, all top notch. This boot was great in all those respects. But the durability was a disaster, I went through 2 pairs and numerous parts before I surrendered and they gave me a full refund. Looking forward to their new free ride series, hoping they are made for my size and frequency of use.

^^Have you tried the Vulcan? Just curious. After tossing an intuition in there, the flex is what I wish the RS' was. (HUGE caveat: This is just carpet testing; haven't had a chance to tour on them yet, so take that was as much salt as you want.)
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    I dig scarpa boots alot, the fit, the range, the flex, all top notch. This boot was great in all those respects. But the durability was a disaster, I went through 2 pairs and numerous parts before I surrendered and they gave me a full refund. Looking forward to their new free ride series, hoping they are made for my size and frequency of use.
    What issues did you have regarding durability?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using TGR Forums
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by Jumi-Jakke View Post
    Short 60 days report: durability issues !
    Skier: 78 kg
    Style: not aggressive, more like energy saving style

I have been using RS mainly for touring and off-piste skiing. They tour and ski very well, BUT

-heelpiece tech insert broken 3 times. Scarpas local presentative fixed other shell 2 times. Same heelpiece coming loose again. Also managed to broke heelpiece on other shell. Always same issue, screw brokes and other half gets "stucked inside heel" and metal tech insert drops off. This has happened during on pretty big days (at least for me), very annoying
    - hinge that attaches black tongue, broke, very hard to get replacement hinge from Scarpa

At the moment both shells useless. As I`m really frustrated now, contacted Scarpa via local bootshop (great service there). Scarpa wont replace`em without seeing them. So rite now shells being shipped to Scarpa for their inspections and I`m planning to spend some quality time with my old friend, a cold beer.

Conclusions: nice boots, but cant take the heat. Scarpa`s cusomer service big question mark rite now. Will update how things go...

So 2 weeks now and boots are still with Scarpa / no information from Scarpa. Send an e-mail to warranty department, no reply. They havent replied voice messages either.
    Since I´m skiing almost daily, rental costs are adding up...
    I know this is France, but this is getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Have you tried the Vulcan? Just curious. After tossing an intuition in there, the flex is what I wish the RS' was. (HUGE caveat: This is just carpet testing; haven't had a chance to tour on them yet, so take that was as much salt as you want.)
    Vulcan is much roomier than the Maestrale (103mm last vs. 101mm.) It's also in a vastly different price range.

Anyone else have issues with the canting screw coming loose constantly? Every time I take them out, shortly after starting to skin I notice that the canting screw has come loose and my cant is always opposite of what I need it. I tighten it as much as I dare, but happens every time. Very annoying.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Anyone else have issues with the canting screw coming loose constantly? Every time I take them out, shortly after starting to skin I notice that the canting screw has come loose and my cant is always opposite of what I need it. I tighten it as much as I dare, but happens every time. Very annoying.
    Lock tite. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumi-Jakke View Post
    So 2 weeks now and boots are still with Scarpa / no information from Scarpa. Send an e-mail to warranty department, no reply. They havent replied voice messages either.
    Since I´m skiing almost daily, rental costs are adding up...
    I know this is France, but this is getting ridiculous.
    Weak sauce. I would not stand for that even in France. Amp up the attitude.