Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Tried out the G3 Districts Maestrale RS combo today. Snow quality was acceptable as was the gear

first day on my RSs yesterday. (inbounds only)

whole new set-up (188 Wailer 105 Pures w/ Plums).
    stoopid light (<4.5#/ski+binder).

was very impressed with how they transfered power to the ski.

i skied my alpine set-up for the first half of the day (Kastle MX98;STH16;Dalbello Scorpion SF130); which i thought was fairly demanding.
    switched to the touring set-up at lunch (188 Wailer 105 Pure; Plum Guide; Maestrale RS).

about 4# lighter per foot!

i've read that the lighter one's set-up the more precise one has to be; i definetly found that to be the case.
    the touring set-up was muuuch more demanding on the WROD.
    apply power to the ski, or it will apply power to you.

first run was a bit squirrelly, felt like i was turning only on the downhill ski.
    second run i think "knees forward!"; better.
    third run i make sure to make more pronounced pole plants; better yet.
    fourth run i admonish myself: "HANDS FORWARD, BITCH!!!" and proceeded to apply some nice forward pressure to those tips.

after that i emitted a few whoops of delight as many turnshapes became easy to make.

I need to move the top buckle over as i was maxed out (chicken legs?).
    And I'm going to put in a WC Booster strap.

... And I'm also going to throw them in my STHs to see if there's a gap between the bottom of the toe and the AFD; it would be nice to try these in the alpine set-up to see how they do.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

What alpine boot are you coming from?

Sending it from NorCal
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

hey play with the buckles. I wonder if you find what i did; that the boots felt really different with adjustments to buckle tension. Also finding that the RS feels quite a bit more progressive than the mango maestrale

Trying them on in the shop, I could feel the difference in the flex between the two, the rs feels similar to me old factors. However the plush mango ones really got me thinking about comfort. How's the walk compare between the two?
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    What alpine boot are you coming from?
    Dalbello Scorpion SF130 with the upper stiffening bolt removed.
    That might make them 120?
    Not too sure, but with both bolts in I didn't feel like i could drive the boots with my shins and ended up in the back-seat too much.
    (i suppose any is too much, but ..).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    However the plush mango ones really got me thinking about comfort. How's the walk compare between the two?
    Both the same. Both very very good

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I wonder if you find what i did; that the boots felt really different with adjustments to buckle tension.
    What exactly do you mean by this? I found that they were much stiffer when I buckled the top buckle and power strap quite tightly. Is that what you're talking about?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    What exactly do you mean by this? I found that they were much stiffer when I buckled the top buckle and power strap quite tightly. Is that what you're talking about?
    Pretty much. That you could tune the boot for feel really easily just by adjusting buckles

Having difficulty adjusting the cant. I'm slightly bow-legged and am unable to turn the canting mechanism clockwise far enough to lock in to a setting canting even one position outward, due to the ankle buckle being in the way. Anyone else have this issue and/or a solution for it? I'll try to post a pic this evening for clarification.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    Having difficulty adjusting the cant. I'm slightly bow-legged and am unable to turn the canting mechanism clockwise far enough to lock in to a setting canting even one position outward, due to the ankle buckle being in the way. Anyone else have this issue and/or a solution for it? I'll try to post a pic this evening for clarification.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maestrale RS 1.JPG 
Views:	446 
Size:	479.0 KB 
ID:	127645

Name:	maestrale RS 2.JPG 
Views:	367 
Size:	388.7 KB 
ID:	127646

The pics as promised. In the current set-up I cannot turn the mechanism either clockwise far enough to lock into the next setting (due to the buckle being in the way) or counter-clockwise (due to the mechanism not allowing me to turn it that way) so my boots are currently not canted and appear to be unable to be canted. I want to cant my boots outward, for my damn bow-legged-ness, but obviously am strugglling. What am I missing here?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Can anyone tell me the BSL of the 28 size?

The 26.5/27 is a 306, so I assume the 27.5/28 is a 316...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Hey guys, I'm stuck in NYC for awhile, rebuilding my parents' after Sandy, but I got an update about the RS from my lady yesterday, so everything that I'm telling you here is second hand.

First of all, she is psyched about the boots. She has four days on them, with a couple of them being very short early season backcountry days, so we're talking a total of probably 15 runs at the most. Something odd happened yesterday, and she's not quite sure how it occurred. She is guessing that something in the walk mode broke (perhaps the pin that holds the bar in place?), and the upper part of the shell got pushed forward to the point that she couldn't get it to move back. She took it to the local shop where we bought them, and initially they were also unable to move the shell back into place. It appears that the shell is messed up to the point that she will need a new boot.

So, hopefully this is a fairly isolated incident, and they'll get her sorted out quickly. I just wanted to throw a heads up to everybody -maybe take a look at those walk modes, and especially the pins that are at the bottom of the mechanism.

kevino, 27.5/28 shell has a 314 bsl

thanks auvgeek and doc.

yo auvgeek, you working friday?

^^Unfortunately yes. Tons of work and grad school applications have me super busy. Prolly not even gonna be able to get out this weekend.

Hit me up next time you're on the westside. Can usually take a day off work if the snow's a fallin'. And I'll try not to forget my ski crampons next time!

photos

Meastrale RS boot Failures

Just got back from 4 days of touring in the Escalades. We had two separate incidents where the Maestrale RS boot hyper-flexed forward and locked in that position. In the first incident the skier went through a compression and both boots hyperflexed. The boots were in a tech binding set on 8. The bottom plastic boot (white part) overlaped the black plastic. The boot was unusable in its condition. In order to try and make the boot workable we removed the canting bolts at the pivot. We could get one boot back into position but with the other boot we had to remove the steel bar at the back completely so that the boot could be toured back to camp. At camp the boot was disassembled and The steel bar put back in place. It looked like a small dimple on the steel bar is supposed to run up against a plastic stopper in the heel assembly and stop the boots forward lean. The hyper flexing was caused when the dimple went beyond the plastic stopper. Unsure as to the extent of damage to the plastic stopper in reassembling the boot.

A nearly identical incident happened the next day with a small compression in bad light. One of the skiers boots hyper-flexed and locked into position. The skier was on Dynafit Tech set at 8 din and the boot didn't release. Once again a pivot bolt was removed and the steel bar forced back into position.

I think 6 guys had the Meastrale RS boots on the trip. Lots of guys were getting big drops on the boots and generally skiing hard. But with two failures of the same type there might be a problem. Pictures attached:

Name:	Hyperflexed boot overlap small.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	128042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hyper-flexed boot rear view small.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	128043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyperflexed boot side small.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	128044
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hyperflexed boot.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	832.7 KB 
ID:	128041  

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeler View Post

Just got back from 4 days of touring in the Escalades. We had two separate incidents where the Maestrale RS boot hyper-flexed forward and locked in that position. In the first incident the skier went through a compression and both boots hyperflexed. The boots were in a tech binding set on 8. The bottom plastic boot (white part) overlaped the black plastic. The boot was unusable in its condition. In order to try and make the boot workable we removed the canting bolts at the pivot. We could get one boot back into position but with the other boot we had to remove the steel bar at the back completely so that the boot could be toured back to camp. At camp the boot was disassembled and The steel bar put back in place. It looked like a small dimple on the steel bar is supposed to run up against a plastic stopper in the heel assembly and stop the boots forward lean. The hyper flexing was caused when the dimple went beyond the plastic stopper. Unsure as to the extent of damage to the plastic stopper in reassembling the boot.

A nearly identical incident happened the next day with a small compression in bad light. One of the skiers boots hyper-flexed and locked into position. The skier was on Dynafit Tech set at 8 din and the boot didn't release. Once again a pivot bolt was removed and the steel bar forced back into position.

I think 6 guys had the Meastrale RS boots on the trip. Lots of guys were getting big drops on the boots and generally skiing hard. But with two failures of the same type there might be a problem. Pictures attached:

oy that sucks. That happened in some of the earlier Scarpa Rush boots when the white plastic part wasn't high enough. I'll ping Scarpa about this

Pretty sure this is exactly the same thing that happened to my lady.

Pictures show boot is in walk mode? Did the skiers forget to switch modes? I have done it and could certainly see if you were in walk mode how this happened. Not trying to be a wise ass just asking? Bummer.

FWIW, I had my first day on my RS boots and loved them. Lift served. Everything I loved about the orange pair but stiffer. Flex so buttery smooth. I did have a big compression myself when airing it out over rollers and landed short of one - hit so hard that blew both my Plum heel pieces to smithereens! But boots did not experience this ^^^. Hope they do not. Looking forward to enough snow here to start touring! Since winter just showed up that might be next week!

Good luck.
    The Passion is in the Risk

I don't think the skiers were in walk mode. The photos were taken after we tried pushing the the bar back in place, so the ski/walk toggle was flipped to see if it might help.

We also had lots of big airs with no incident, but both of these happened on flat terrain with a surprise compression.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    . . . the upper part of the shell got pushed forward to the point that she couldn't get it to move back.
    . . . Maestrale RS boot hyper-flexed forward and locked in that position.
    Contagious. Any history of this happening with regular orange Maestrale? I saw this happen on a different boot a few years ago; can't recall what boot, nor whether it was tele or AT.

I don't think the skiers were in walk mode. The photos were taken after we tried pushing the the bar back in place, so the ski/walk toggle was flipped to see if it might help.

We also had lots of big airs with no incident, but both of these happened on flat terrain with a surprise compression.
    I checked in with Scarpa. They said they had 2 incidents this year that they know about and both booths were replaced. Hoping you were one of them. warranty@scarpa.com is who to contact.

Weird - i checked my boots and a pair of Gea RS. The white part of the boots is high enough that it'd be possible for this to happen if you basically force the boot so far forward that it almost blows through the walk mode bar. I can't force it with my hand to do that but this shows it'd be possible to do that with the whole body.

Hope its isolated. Per Scarpa they said its isolated but only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Contagious. Any history of this happening with regular orange Maestrale? I saw this happen on a different boot a few years ago; can't recall what boot, nor whether it was tele or AT.
    Nothing like that for mango Maestrale. Lots of exploding parts but not that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Nothing like that for mango Maestrale. Lots of exploding parts but not that.
    Well, that's reassuring

One season (and a bad one in California) with no issues on my mango's. Mostly resort days on both dynafits and Barrons.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot