Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Hey buddy, just went through the ziplock bag that came with the boots, and found the clear sticky patches. It would make sense if moisture was coming in via the rivets on the buckle ladders as that is where they are quite wet. But I recon it is mainly via the hinged tongue, and to a lesser extent the at the rear near the walk mode hinge. Once water is in it wicks along the Intuition liner outer fabric. Boot packing in slush gets these boots really wet inside the shell. This really is not a big deal unless you are sleeping with your liners in a tent.
    Life is not lift served.

hohes - the moisture is getting in thru the hinged tongue. I tried putting some gorilla tape in there but it doesn't help much. I think the walk mode is actually letting in more water. Really noticed it booting up isothermic schmoo

On another note I've now had about 10 days on the Maestrale RS and (bad timing) got late season Dynafit Vulcans so put 4 days on them and think I've had enough feel for both boots to preliminary opine so here it is. Putting it out there because I think both boots are logical competitors

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...97#post3623897

Like other ski boots, I'm finding my orange Maestrales a bit too soft in warm spring temps. Would the RS plastic be more or less sensitive to warmth?
    Life is not lift served.

whatever it is, the RS nylon seems to be less temperature-sensitive than pebax...

bump for questions

bump for a great review from Lou on WildSnow on the quality and key details that make the Scarpa Maelstrale RS what it is - one sweet ride. If you are earning your turns there is not a better boot right now, for me anyway.

http://www.wildsnow.com/8225/scarpa-maestrale-review-3/
    The Passion is in the Risk

Anyone know how stiff the RS is vs the Factor? My Factors are due to retire.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by buildakicker View Post
    Anyone know how stiff the RS is vs the Factor? My Factors are due to retire.
    Very close

cannot wait to get mine on snow.

feel great in the living room.

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Bump for Marshal's actual review, and my own, carpet-testing thoughts:

I bought these off of Bent Gate the day I read Marshal's review (right before their sale ended), and got them today. (None of the local shops are stocking them yet, and I figured I’d return them unused if they didn’t fit.)

Normal boot is a 27 Full Tilt, so I ordered a 26.5. While the Full Tilt is slightly lower volume, the 26.5 RS is a good fit. Maybe even great — almost too good, actually, for an out-of-the-box fit. I punched my Full Tilts in the 5th met head region, and probably won’t have to do that for these. Additionally, I would probably need a punch in the navicular region of the 26.5 Lange RX wide, but probably won't need anything with these. Probably one of the only boots I've tried that doesn't seem to need a punch but still feels pretty snug everywhere. I’ll probably try on the 25.5/26 RS just to see, but it’s probably going to be too small. Interestingly, didn’t notice much of a difference in fit between the new, stock liner and the packed-out powerwraps from my Full Tilts. Also tried them back-to-back with the Cochise 120 I used last season — I tried the Cochise on with the stock liners that I never used, so basically an out-of-the box fit there also. The RS is much lower volume than the Cochise, and they had MUCH better heel hold. But obviously I need to compare them to the 26.5 Cochise for it to be a fair comparison.

Interestingly, they felt noticeably stiffer at the 11.5 deg forward lean. Which is what I prefer anyway, so that’s fine. With the powerwraps, they felt a little softer than the Full Tilt #10 tongue (same liner) and another increment softer than the Cochise 120. I’d probably call them a FT #9 tongue. Agree that they’re about a FT#8 with the stock liners. But the flex is very similar in progression. They felt considerably a bit softer than what I remember the Cochise 120 feeling with powerwraps (different, bigger pair). But I could barely flex those at room temperature with the powerwraps installed and buckled tightly enough to take up the volume around my shins, even with a tongue eliminator shim in. Simply too stiff for my foot shape.

I need to go try on the Cochise Light in a 26.5 and the Vulcan/Mercury, but I’m pretty stoked on how the 26.5 RS fits. I’d prefer if it were just slightly stiffer, but it’s pretty decent as it is.

I don't know if this is helpful to anybody, as I haven't actually skied them, but it might help you decide you really ought to try them on.

Edit: My foot: 275 ish mm, 103-104 ish mm wide (weighted). Low arch, low volume heel, ankle, and calf.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 10-24-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Wow that's good fit info data. Thx

Thanks for the info auvgeek, I actually felt they were as stiff if not stiffer than my cochise's. And definitely with a better walk range than the cochise had which was still a step up from my Mobes. I agree on the fit, I have the exact foot you described except longer. Hoping to get them out soon and test whether this is the perfect boot for everyday for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Thanks for the info auvgeek, I actually felt they were as stiff if not stiffer than my cochise's.
    Fully acknowledge that I never got the Cochise to fit my foot right, and that was the source of my complaints with the boot. Tried bontex shims, HV PW liner, etc. For my foot anatomy, Cochise w/ PW felt stiffer than the Lange RX 130 at room temp!

Lee/Marshal - any idea how much these will stiffen up in the cold? I know shell is nylon/grilmid, but the tongue is Pebax which should stiffen up a bit, right?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Good write up, Auvgeek.
    Very curious about how the hell you fit your 276-277mm foot into a 26.5, though? How much room have you got in a shell fit?
    I'm just wondering if the sizing has changed this year (guessing not), as my 280mm foot is very happy in my mango 28.5. Tried the 27.5, which from memory was a super performance fit, but shied away from it; It would probably have skied fine, but I feared for my toenails walking and skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Good write up, Auvgeek.
    Very curious about how the hell you fit your 276-277mm foot into a 26.5, though? How much room have you got in a shell fit?
    I'm just wondering if the sizing has changed this year (guessing not), as my 280mm foot is very happy in my mango 28.5. Tried the 27.5, which from memory was a super performance fit, but shied away from it; It would probably have skied fine, but I feared for my toenails walking and skinning.
    Just using a ruler to measure, so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just did it again and tried to be a little more accurate. Weighted, it measures about 275 *for me*. It might be different on a real bootfitter's measuring thingamabob. Last time I was at a bootfitter, I remember them saying I was a solid 27, but I might could size down to a 26 for a race fit.

Shell fit isn't that bad. About 10 mm. Also remember that scarpa splits on the half size, so 26.5 and 27 are the same size. bsl is 306.

Edit: Marshal's foot is 278 and he fits the same shell, as per the Blister review. If you don't trust my measurements, you can definitely trust his.

photos

No lack of trust implied, I assure you )

10mm sounds good. I'll have to do a close inspection of mine and see how much room I have.

Anyhoo, congratulations on a pair of fine boots. I hope you'll be as happy as I am with mine.

Also remember that scarpa splits on the half size, so 26.5 and 27
    This.

My foot measure for a 27 and the 26.5 shell fits me beautifully.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Well written review Marshal. Indeed.

I am a fan of these boots for sure. Beautiful flex is a perfect way to describe these boots. Silky smooth.

I am 6-1" and 205 lbs and thought the regular Maestrale was stiff enough in most conditions for my skiing so the RS should fill in the blanks and be just about perfect. Especially when it warms up in the spring or the occasional inversions we get up high.

Scarpa is on the right track and I am excited to see what comes next. Me thinks its that cross over boot you mentioned.

Good to be a skier these days.

Snowing yet? Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Scarpa is on the right track and I am excited to see what comes next. Me thinks its that cross over boot you mentioned.
    They've already announced that they will be showing a new line of "freeride" boots at OR/SIA this year. So yes, I anticipate seeing some of the Maestrale/RS technology in a boot with swappable soles.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    They've already announced that they will be showing a new line of "freeride" boots at OR/SIA this year. So yes, I anticipate seeing some of the Maestrale/RS technology in a boot with swappable soles.
    Exciting news! I don't fit Tecnica and not much tech/din options to chose from.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

Lee/Marshal - any idea how much these will stiffen up in the cold? I know shell is nylon/grilmid, but the tongue is Pebax which should stiffen up a bit, right?
    I got to try them in the cold. It was minus 3 so not really that cold but its at least not spring. It's definitely stiffer now than in spring. Not significantly so but still pretty stiff. As a data point I skied a few runs without the heel strap done up tight just to get used to feeling the snow again and the boot is considerably stiffer than my Maestrales. So far, at least for early season Whistler its very acceptable performance for groomed runs and a mid-fat ski (G3 Spitfire - 88mm waist)

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Nice! 123456

My new RS's are finally here and now just waiting for snow. Stoked!

Got my WC boosters installed. They feel a bit stiffer (standing on the carpet) but still have that really smooth flex. Can't wait to get these things on the hill.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

has anybody in this thread skied both the BD Quadrant and the Maestrale RS?