Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Got an email today that they don't actually have my size in stock, although they might get some in mid-November. Oh well.
    I was told a bunch of stock is arriving early November.

Thanks, Gman. I was told the same thing.

New issue . . .

My 2013 RSs are 28.5. They fit perfectly.

But I tried the new RSs in a 28.5 at REI last night. The toe box on the right foot felt pretty tight and uncomfortable. The 28.5s felt fine on my left foot, which I learned is now slightly smaller than my right foot. The shell fit was pretty good, but definitely more on the side of performance than comfort (maybe a finger).

They didn't have the 29.0 size, which is the same shell size as the 28.5 but with a roomier liner. The 29.5s felt fine on my right foot. I can't say if my feet might swim around a little after the liners pack in though. Also, I didn't have my custom cork insoles.

I'm tempted to go for the 29.0, since a slightly-too-small shell can be blown out but a too-large shell cannot be shrunk. If the 29.0 is still tight around the toe box, I can have it blown out slightly, right?

New issue . . .

But I tried the new RSs in a 28.5 at REI last night. The toe box on the right foot felt pretty tight and uncomfortable. The 28.5s felt fine on my left foot, which I learned is now slightly smaller than my right foot. The shell fit was pretty good, but definitely more on the side of performance than comfort (maybe a finger).

They didn't have the 29.0 size, which is the same shell size as the 28.5 but with a roomier liner. The 29.5s felt fine on my right foot. I can't say if my feet might swim around a little after the liners pack in though. Also, I didn't have my custom cork insoles.

I'm tempted to go for the 29.0, since a slightly-too-small shell can be blown out but a too-large shell cannot be shrunk. If the 29.0 is still tight around the toe box, I can have it blown out slightly, right?
    I had my old RS's worked on substantially. Held the shell work well. YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm sure this has been discussed, but can someone please explain the difference between half and full size Scarpa Intuitions? Been trying to make the right call on the new RS. The 27 is tight and the 28 is a pretty good performance fit but the stock liner even unbaked feels way too roomy already. Logic says downsize to the 27.5, but since it's the same shell size as the 28, what is that 275 liner actually achieving? Is it a higher volume foam?

yes.

I go on the 1/2 size to get higher volume liner then heat mold to pack it out.

The Intuition guy splained to me that Scarpa has a liner made by intuition to Scarpa's spec and so the Scarpa liner is slightly different than what intuition would sell me aftermarket

But I still think that's pretty damn good and I would buy Scarpa's if only they worked for my foot

I agree with Kalisto ... get the higher volume liner
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Try a shell fir first also. Figure out how much room is around your foot before the liner. Liners can be heat molded and will pack out. AKbruin, stay with the same sized shell as before. One advantage is the same BSL. But as long as the heat molding helps your toe space. They can put a foam cap over your toes when heat molding to give you a little more room.

Just received my 27.0 Maestrale RS boots today from Backpacking United. They really are the best all around touring boot I have seen. Great engineering, very stiff but progressive flex and very lightweight. Ended up being $630 something with shipping. The 27.0 feels about the same fit as my previous Dynafit Mercury’s in 27.0 which fit me great. Maybe a slightly roomier fore foot, but about the same length even though Scarpa 27.0 is supposed to be a 26.5 shell. FYI I wear a 27.5 Lange LV boot, no way I can do 26.5 with Lange. Also I have a relatively low volume foot. I have a 1.5 finger shell fit with these Scarpas and it feels just a touch short before molding so I figure that if I put the toe caps in molding I can get a good fit, maybe will need a toe punch but might be just right.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

New issue . . .

I also had my shells worked on a decent amount (forefoot punch) and they have held fine for 3 seasons, I actually find them pretty damn comfortable to wear all day. Still using the stock liner as well, likely around 50 days on the boots total, sole is holding up very well as I don't do much rock scrambling at all, pretty much only tour for powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Solesides View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed, but can someone please explain the difference between half and full size Scarpa Intuitions? Been trying to make the right call on the new RS. The 27 is tight and the 28 is a pretty good performance fit but the stock liner even unbaked feels way too roomy already. Logic says downsize to the 27.5, but since it's the same shell size as the 28, what is that 275 liner actually achieving? Is it a higher volume foam?
    The one liner is just a bit thicker then the other. Get the shell that fits first. You can make a tight boot looser, but can't make a loose boot tighter. I would be concerned that once the 27.5 liner packs out you will have too loose a boot. The 27 shell can be punched out a bit if need be, assuming it is just not too small a shell to begin with.

I also question how the 28 can be "a good performance fit", and yet feel way too roomy???

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I also question how the 28 can be "a good performance fit", and yet feel way too roomy???
    Thanks for that, and it's a good question. Roomy, as in the entire toe box area feels airy in the 28; the overall length feels pretty good, and not like there's too much space between toes and shell (I had used Scarpa's fit stick to determine "performance fit", but question whether I'm getting a good reading on it or not). I will be trying the 275 soon for comparison. The 275 liner packing out and creating the same problem down the road is definitely a concern. I do not want to band aid the situation with higher volume footbeds and shims between the liner, although that is something that has worked to dial in a better fit in my TLT6s as the Intutions packed out overtime (that is also my argument that a loose boot CAN be made tighter, it's just not ideal)

Just molded the liner on my Maestrale RS2 27.0 and it created a lot more room in the toes. I️ think they will be good. I️ have a “performance fit” with these, a 1.5 finger shell fit.

Performance fit probably means different things to different people, but for me "performance fit" is for resort boots. I'm looking for a "comfort fit" when it comes to backcountry boots, all day comfort and warmth as a first priority. I obviously want them to ski well but I'll typically go a half to full shell size larger than compared to an in bounds boot.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Performance fit probably means different things to different people, but for me "performance fit" is for resort boots. I'm looking for a "comfort fit" when it comes to backcountry boots, all day comfort and warmth as a first priority. I obviously want them to ski well but I'll typically go a half to full shell size larger than compared to an in bounds boot.
    Yes agreed, that’s why “performance fit” goes in quotes. I️ would like to size up a shell size but going up a shell size also increases the volume in the forefoot and heel and having a low volume foot I️ would be swimming. Sure they would be comfortable on the way up but a compromise on the way down that I️ wouldn’t want to make. It seems that these and most all other backcountry boots are built with a roomy last, a comfort fit so that you don’t have to size up. There aren’t many LV options on real touring boots (not counting the cross over boots like Lange Freetours).

Campsaver has these in stock and strangely is running a sale on a few sizes. Plus I just got an extra 20% off coupon which knocks it down from $509 to $407 with free shipping and no tax if you live outside of Utah.

Here are the sizes on sale:

The code is: TWENTY20

I’m completely chapped at the moment that I have super common sizes feet. Someone get after this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by tharmor View Post
    Campsaver has these in stock and strangely is running a sale on a few sizes. Plus I just got an extra 20% off coupon which knocks it down from $509 to $407 with free shipping and no tax if you live outside of Utah.

I’m completely chapped at the moment that I have super common sized feet. Someone get after this deal.

I’m completely chapped at the moment that I have super common sizes feet. Someone get after this deal.

Holy shit, thanks for the PSA! Just bought a pair of 29s. Must be a mistake that they put the new ones on sale, but hopefully they'll honor the purchases. What a steal!

Nice work! My pleasure.

Nice work! My pleasure.

You guys got a link? All I see is last year's model on sale: https://www.campsaver.com/s/scarpa-maestrale-rs

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    You guys got a link? All I see is last year's model on sale: https://www.campsaver.com/s/scarpa-maestrale-rs
    select that and look at the inventory

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    select that and look at the inventory
    I did - I only see last year's model in 25.5 on sale.

This year's model (all sizes) are $795. 20%off that is nice, but not $407. HALP!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I did - I only see last year's model in 25.5 on sale.

This year's model (all sizes) are $795. 20%off that is nice, but not $407. HALP!
    I still see this:

Some of the larger sizes are more expensive, maybe that's what you're looking at?

I only see the 2.0 on sale on my phone. On my computer, I don't see them on sale.

That said, I just nabbed the 26. The 26.5 was a little roomy in the shop. Hoping I can make this work. If not, I'll pass on the good vibes to someone with slightly smaller feet than me who missed out as long as you make me whole on shipping.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Perhaps this is a mobile only glitch

Perhaps this is a mobile only glitch

Interesting, I placed the order on my PC this morning. Maybe they're in the process of patching this up and have only fixed it on PC so far?

Get in quick guys!