Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Thread revival...

New Maestrales are out. Any thoughts? Someone has must have skied them by now...
    I think they recently started shipping so I doubt anyone has time on them yet unless they are skiing not in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Thread revival...

New Maestrales are out. Any thoughts? Someone has must have skied them by now...
    Julia D. at Wildsnow has been on the the Gea RS (same boot with orange buckles) since last spring, with a couple big trips. Try posting on her thread here:

https://www.wildsnow.com/21704/women...oots-20172018/

Love my very well-worn 2013 RSs and will likely pick up the new ones. It sounds like they are lighter, stiffer, and have a much better walk mode. So I'm in.

The one thing that concerns me is that the fit has apparently changed a little, which might suck because the old RSs fit me very well with minimal modification.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Love my very well-worn 2013 RSs and will likely pick up the new ones. It sounds like they are lighter, stiffer, and have a much better walk mode. So I'm in.

The one thing that concerns me is that the fit has apparently changed a little, which might suck because the old RSs fit me very well with minimal modification.
    Scarpa says they fit the same, but I recall older Scarpa boots with the same last but different buckle configurations fitting quite differently than each other.

I remember trying Maestrale's in 2013 and they didn't fit my feet very well... Can't remember the width, but I remember it was tight as hell on the instep.

Ended up pulling the trigger and picking up some new maestrales. Width is perfect and instep is feeling great. Overall fit is pretty much perfect, and I probably won't need to punch anything. Looking forward to getting them molded and getting out...

I thought I read somewhere that the fit had changed a little--maybe in the instep? I assume it'll be easy to mod if needed though.

Any strategies for getting these babies at a discount between now and, say, January?

I thought I read somewhere that the fit had changed a little--maybe in the instep? I assume it'll be easy to mod if needed though.

Any strategies for getting these babies at a discount between now and, say, January?
    the Blister review suggested that there were some changes to the fit, most notably a wider heel pocket. Because of that I'm going to hold off on a new pair for now. http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...a-maestrale-rs
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    the Blister review suggested that there were some changes to the fit, most notably a wider heel pocket. Because of that I'm going to hold off on a new pair for now. http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...a-maestrale-rs
    Wider heel pocket?

Too bad about the heel pocket thing - at least for me ;-) The previous generation was on the wide side for me, but still workable.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 09-20-2017 at 06:29 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Has anybody ever had their Maestrales resoled? How much did it cost and was it worth it?

My Vibram soles are pretty much worn down to the plastic. As mentioned previously, I'd like the new RSs, but I may just wait to the pull the trigger until Spring when I can get them on sale. Maybe that doesn't make sense though. I'm still thinking it through.

I've toured a couple days now on the new maestrale rs. I've decided to do the future of my feet a favor and begrudgingly bump up a shell size in all of my boots. Nonetheless, I'm getting great heel hold in a 27.5 RS (havent gotten around to molding yet). I like the new forefoot buckle a lot. Plenty of pressure even with the bigger shell size. The RS feels reasonably light by any standard, and very light for the performance it delivers. Walk mode is not rando-good, but its still good enough that the boot will probably see pretty consistent use from me on more casual-paced tours. If you thought the old maestrale walked well, the new will feel awesome. Alien RS + Maestrale RS seems like a really sick 2-boot quiver IMO.

The updated RS is definitely a sick boot. There's a comment on the blister review that the heal pocket isn't really that large at all, and that's consistent with Trogdor's input. I am taking the smaller shell / downsize approach on these and hope it works out.

Point of my post is I wouldn't rule these boots out based on the blister review claim of a large heel pocket. They don't seem crazy spacious in that area to me, and the instep buckle is magic.

Has anybody ever had their Maestrales resoled?
    No, but try Rubber Room in Bishop - they might do it for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    No, but try Rubber Room in Bishop - they might do it for ya.
    Chris at Tahoe Gripworks just did my climbing shoes, so he'd be my potential go-to. Think global, resole local, dude. ;-)

Scarpa UK sent me a pair to test at the end of last season, but I only managed to get one day in before the snow ran out - and that was very(!) sticky snow after the bushwhack in took longer than expected and the May sun did its work.

Been a few years since I tried the previous version, which killed me over the instep. No problems there with the new version.

I have them in the same size (26.5) as my Cochise 130 DYNs. The RSs are definitely a little wider than the Cochise, but more the forefoot than the heel.

Crazy light and slipper-like going uphill. I've previously mostly toured on the OG Cochise, Cochise Pro Light (inc some big days - Elbrus 5642m for example) and now 130 DYN, and unsurprisingly the RSs are a vast improvement uphill.

Downhill they're obviously not quite as good - plenty of power and support, but the flex definitely isn't as progressive (duh). Definitely 'more than good enough' though; assuming you're skinning for untracked snow I can't imagine anyone would have to hold back at all due to this boot.

Looking forward to getting more time on them for sure. Our glaciers are bit too... hungry... for touring atm though.

Found a Euro-based deal on the new Maestrale RSs: $642.55 shipped. (Note: The order will make it appear to be less in dollars, but you have to convert the Euro number to get an accurate total.)

The seller, Backpacking United, is based in Germany. I did a little online digging and it seems to be a reputable site. I'm guessing it will take 10-14 days to receive the boots, which is fine given the time of year. I'm ordering the same BSL size as my 2013 RSs and hoping it fits. But the site appears to have a 14-day return policy that seems to include shipping. Fingers crossed.

Found a Euro-based deal on the new Maestrale RSs: $642.55 shipped. (Note: The order will make it appear to be less in dollars, but you have to convert the Euro number to get an accurate total.)

The seller, Backpacking United, is based in Germany. I did a little online digging and it seems to be a reputable site. I'm guessing it will take 10-14 days to receive the boots, which is fine given the time of year. I'm ordering the same BSL size as my 2013 RSs and hoping it fits. But the site appears to have a 14-day return policy that seems to include shipping. Fingers crossed.
    Good find, I took a screenshot of the price for my taxes :-)

Mine showed up earlier this week. Wish I would have had them for Chile, they are crazy light.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Good find, I took a screenshot of the price for my taxes :-)

Mine showed up earlier this week. Wish I would have had them for Chile, they are crazy light.
    Did you size yours the same as the earlier Maestrales (if you had the earlier ones)?

Trog's comments have me a little concerned.

Did you size yours the same as the earlier Maestrales (if you had the earlier ones)?

I have never had Maesrales, but picked the size I used for all my past Scarpa boots, 29.5. Seem to fit fine in the house, although that isn't much data.

Now I am hoping my RS's wear out faster. I love the fit and walk in them, they ski well, but the new ones sound even better. Odds are I will be in my present pair for awhile. I do really like them and can walk, hike and skin in them all day.

Just an aside...I never used the laces on the liners, but decided to start to get the benefit of the increased stiffness. Couldn't figure out why they were giving me blisters, which were never a problem before, no soreness at all. It finally dawned on me that it all started when I began using the laces. I stopped...problem solved. Go figure?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I dont think the sizing is much different. I've been trying to ski 27s for many years now in all of my boots, but I've just had to give up because either my feet are getting longer, or my pain tolerance is lower. In the past, 27s were always doable, but but quite tight. Seemed worth it. After some long days last year, and lingering foot pain well into summer, I decided I needed to switch it up. Basically, by the end of last year, all of my 27s felt a bit too small (Alien 1, Alien RS, F1, Old RS, Freedom SL). So this year, I may stick with the 27 Alien 1.0, but I'm doing the Maestrale RS in 27.5 (28 shell) and the Alien RS in 28.

Thanks, Trog and 406!

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    I'm doing the Maestrale RS in 27.5 (28 shell) and the Alien RS in 28.
    how does the shell fit of the 2 boots compare? Is the Maestrale longer inside compared to the same shell size in the Alien RS? How about width?

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    how does the shell fit of the 2 boots compare? Is the Maestrale longer inside compared to the same shell size in the Alien RS? How about width?
    Alien RS is smaller all around. F1 is somewhere in the middle

Got an email today that they don't actually have my size in stock, although they might get some in mid-November. Oh well.