Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Just picked up an expert booster strap for my RS (figured WC was overkill for my BC boot, but that might have been the wrong move). Anyway, typically booster straps are supposed to wrap around the front of the liner, not the front of the plastic tongue, no? If that's the case, how do you that on the RS?? It looks like doing so would cause a lot of weird distortion in the way the tongue lies against the liner.
    Last edited by meter-man; 10-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.

You can do it that way, but 9/10 people put them around the shell as far as I'm aware. That includes me on my last three pairs of boots...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    You can do it that way, but 9/10 people put them around the shell as far as I'm aware. That includes me on my last three pairs of boots...
    Count me in on this method, as well.

Yeah, I've always put them around the shell. The RS is my only boot that I actually don't run a Booster strap on though, the stock strap is actually not completely terrible and it's lighter.

Yeah, Booster straps were originally designed for use as meterman says, but IME enhance the RS when strapped around the shell.

The Booster strap *was* designed to be run on the "tongue" but inside the overlap shell on an overlap boot. On a 3-peice boot like the RS, I've always just put it on the outside. FWIW, I thought the RS with Powerwrap liner and expert booster strap was extremely progressive, but ultimately a little soft—personally, I'd want the WC strap to avoid blowing completely through the flex. Just my $0.02.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 10-28-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thanks for the input all. I run the strap on the outside of my Langes too.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The Booster strap *was* designed to be run on the "tongue" but inside the overlap shell on an overlap boot. On a 3-peice boot like the RS, I've always just put it on the outside. FWIW, I thought the RS with Powerwrap liner and expert booster strap was extremely progressive, but ultimately a little soft—personally, I'd want the WC strap to avoid blowing completely through the flex. Just my $0.02.
    I have the WCs on the my Langes, and I ski like a fat kid, so I might change it out. I've been kinda surprised over the last couple seasons that the RS was not as stiff as I initially thought.... Ah well...it must be morning at work, because I am overthinking gear choices....

You could try Intuition Pro-tongue liners. They're stiffer than most of the other Intuition liners. It'll restrict touring but for a noticeable jump in stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    You could try Intuition Pro-tongue liners. They're stiffer than most of the other Intuition liners. It'll restrict touring but for a noticeable jump in stiffness.
    I've had Intuitions on my tele boots (Ener-Gs from back in the day - I know I know - what is wrong with me, other than my broken binding) and in the RSs, but not in other boots. Do you recommend the Pro-Tongue over the Power Wrap for this boot? Is that because of the 3-piece design?

Dammit, I should search-jong before posting: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...Liners-6557148 It's b/c the tongue-style is easier to tour in.

Nice review too. LL, you write some good ones. BTW, whatever happened to that other master reviewer, Marshall Olson??

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Dammit, I should search-jong before posting: http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...Liners-6557148 It's b/c the tongue-style is easier to tour in.

Nice review too. LL, you write some good ones. BTW, whatever happened to that other master reviewer, Marshall Olson??
    Thanks! Not sure - I know Marshall is writing for Blister

I'm looking at swapping out my old walk mode in my version 1 RS's. If I remember right I had a few issues getting into ski mode last year and I don't want to have the boot hyper extend on me. Is there any difference between the free retrofit kit and this new version of the walk mode. Is the retrofit kit only the walk mode and not the bar as well? If I got the parts for the new walk mode I'd then have to swap the bar as well correct? Is that a PITA?

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Is there any difference between the free retrofit kit and this new version of the walk mode. Is the retrofit kit only the walk mode and not the bar as well? If I got the parts for the new walk mode I'd then have to swap the bar as well correct? Is that a PITA?
    No the free kit is not the new version of the walk mode (call it version 2.0). The retrofit is a revised and improved version 1 walk mode. Scarpa told me the 2.0 walk mode could not be swapped into the older boots. Or maybe they just wouldn't sell me the parts, dunno. Yes the free kit is just the lever assembly, no bar.

After a couple of seasons on the RS at the end of the season last year one of the tongues cracked near the flex point. I got them warrantied and got this years RS (they seem the best fit for me from this years boot selection) Anyone else have that happen? I tried to squeeze one more day out of them but the boot was like a slipper.

I've seen a few mentions of a Cochise foot vs. a Scarpa foot. Could someone elaborate on this for me? I'm currently in Cochises and thinking about new boots for this season - wondering if I should try these bad boys on.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    I'm looking at swapping out my old walk mode in my version 1 RS's. If I remember right I had a few issues getting into ski mode last year and I don't want to have the boot hyper extend on me. Is there any difference between the free retrofit kit and this new version of the walk mode. Is the retrofit kit only the walk mode and not the bar as well? If I got the parts for the new walk mode I'd then have to swap the bar as well correct? Is that a PITA?
    I have also had a lot of issues with the walk mode in my version 1 RS's. Got the mechanism replaced once, hoping to get the improved one with a steel bushing instead of plastic. Just got the same plastic crap again. It lasted for some days but eventually one boot developed a lot of play. So It got a pair of Vulcans instead :-).

Visited ISPO here in MUC in Jan, so I took the opportunity to ask Scarpa if I can retrofit the new mechanism to my boots - Yes they said! So I got in contact with Scarpa Germany this autumn to get hold of the new mechanism. Unfortunately they could not send me a new one, they told me to order one from my local Scarpa dealer.

The mechanism should include bar, bar axle, metal spacer for the bar, mechanism, 4 screws and plate with threaded holes. There's no part number, they just refer to it as "Mirage Pro Ski-Walk Mechanism".

I just got it all mocked up tonight, so I can definitely confirm that it fits!

/H
    Last edited by hegge; 11-07-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Following up on my prior q's about the booster strap....the boot feels WAY stiffer with the expert strap. I'd say I tested it out on Saturday, but it was more scraping snow off of rocks than skiing out at Carson Pass. But I did garage-test side-by-side and the booster make it way better.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Auvgeek, any issues with boot/liner interface with the RS/Powerwrap?? Which thickness of the PW do you have? Stock (medium)? https://intuitionliners.com/the-liners/powerwrap/ Trying to decide between a Protongue and Powerwrap, and will likely play with some liners somewhere in the Truckee area this winter...

I've had Intuitions on my tele boots (Ener-Gs from back in the day - I know I know - what is wrong with me, other than my broken binding) and in the RSs, but not in other boots. Do you recommend the Pro-Tongue over the Power Wrap for this boot? Is that because of the 3-piece design?
    you should tele more....

Auvgeek, any issues with boot/liner interface with the RS/Powerwrap?? Which thickness of the PW do you have? Stock (medium)? https://intuitionliners.com/the-liners/powerwrap/ Trying to decide between a Protongue and Powerwrap, and will likely play with some liners somewhere in the Truckee area this winter...
    Given our offline exchange on this and my mentioning that I'd thrown PWs in my new RSs, I'm surprised you didn't ask me. Medium thickness interfaces fine in mine. Obviously haven't skied them yet, but they fit in the shells and the buckles close well without any trouble. Thicker than the OEM liners, but fine.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Given our offline exchange on this and my mentioning that I'd thrown PWs in my new RSs, I'm surprised you didn't ask me. Medium thickness interfaces fine in mine. Obviously haven't skied them yet, but they fit in the shells and the buckles close well without any trouble. Thicker than the OEM liners, but fine.
    The answer, young Skywalker, is clear - you haven't skied in them yet!!

Do you have to ski in them to be able to tell that the shells close just fine and they flex well--just like any other boot with Powerwraps? I could also have told you that without even putting them in there. You're overthinking this...

Do you have to ski in them to be able to tell that the shells close just fine and they flex well--just like any other boot with Powerwraps? I could also have told you that without even putting them in there. You're overthinking this...
    This is tech talk - isn't overthinking the point??

This is tech talk - isn't overthinking the point??
    I'm hoping this wins me the Hugh Conway post of the week award:

Over posting does not equal over thinking.

Scarpa Maestrale RS

Have about 5 days on these boots now and love everything about them except for the removable tongue-- I cannot get it to stay attached for the life of me. Anyone have a good picture of how it is supposed to be secured? Because I have searched, can't find any and feel like I have tried every single possible overlapping method of the velcro thingie and orientation of the slot on the bottom of the tongue and nothing works. It slides way up the front of my shin while the boot is loose in walk mode and I have had to take the boot off at the top of a skin track to fix it multiple times now.
    Last edited by couloirman; 01-11-2015 at 04:33 PM.