Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: Mammoth Jan 29-30th w/ Pow picts

So Friday was a great, wet, snowy pow day which we knew meant Saturday was going to be excellent!

Awoke early and got everyone piled into the car early. Pick up Mrs. Comish's virgin Teledaddy's at the shop and roll to Ch2. Arrive at 8:15 and am booting up when Mrs. Comish asks where her 2nd boot is. DOH!

Shit, its still at the shop. A little too pumped that when I traded the beer for the skis I forgot the boot. Next thing we realize she had forgotten her poles as well. Double DOH! So now its not totally my fault which is nice, but still feel like shit as she didn't get any of the freshies on Friday due to being my sugarmama and that work thang. Being the amazing wife and knowing it was a pow day, she left me on the side of the road and drove back to collect her gear. I hop in line and promptly leave our two other friends. Oops. The friend's wife commented to Mrs. Comish later that "Doug is a little selfish about his skiing" She just doesn't know the "no friends on a pow day" rule that I have long since ingrained in Mrs. Comish.

So, now I'm solo and supposed to meet Bullet and team Rodent-roadtrip. Well I hop in line at the Mid for the gondi at 9am. Didn't see or hear any potentially nickels changing so hop in the gondi and score about the 6th or 7th car up!!!!!!!! Bullet unfortunately for him was on Ch5. I make a beeline out of the gondi for roadrunner and tuck it out to the Paranoids. Sweet, only 1 person ahead of me. He goes for P2 and I get the first virgin deeep freshies down P1!!!

Cruise down to the lower Gondi and walk on for round 2. Excellent, the LA hords haven't showed up yet. Go for a repeat, but instead score freshies down Monument!!!

The day has already been made. Amazing! Catch up with Mrs. Comish, Bullet, and Tarkman. We preceed to get deeeeeep face shots for pretty much the rest of the day in stash ###

Bullet getting some.

Now remember this is 6foot+ Bullet on Big Daddy's. Who said Sierra snow was heavy???

Tarkman

Also good to meet up with Mattitude for a few laps at the end of the day. Skied 8:30 - 4:30 with our last lap that ended with us walking down the road back to the hill. An amazing day! Definitely a top 5 day of the year. Glad Team Seattle-roadtrip got some this day! Sorry we didn't hook up, just figured I would wait inside Mid for the gondi

Sunday was another sunny day. We were a little slow to get to the mountain. Hook up with CS at Mid at 10am. He then preceeds to do a nice huck into the soft fluf from the day before. We head back for another lap and I take his camera. We are sitting there waiting, hear a "droppin" and the next thing he is flying through the air head first. Holly shit, he pulls a schweeeet front flip and nearly stomps the landing.

Changed some nickles with Pura vida in Stash ##

Finally meet up with team-seattle-roadtrip and Vets around noon. The posse is up to 8 people. We take a fast fun lap down the soft in the Paranoids which was getting nicely wind sculpted and should soon be trademark Mammy windbuff.

A great weekend. Great to ski with Bullet and Tarkman in some of the best pow of the year, cool to meet the road trippin team (sorry about my crack-smoking-PM typing skills on my cellie), and CS wins sick bird award of the weekend. (Here's hoping the picts turn out).

Mammoth has definitely gone off this year and Maggots were there!
    Last edited by comish; 01-31-2005 at 02:23 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Sickness! Add Mammy to potential March vacation location.

Couple more picts.

Tarkman aka Mr. Wrongway!

Tarkman has perfected the art of going away from the photographer rather than toward him.

Bullet about to Huck and ragdoll upon landing in the Avi debris:

Great pics, the place looks deserted and that was on a weekend, I thought Mammy was crammy?

totally fucking sick bird.

nice!!!
    really really really nice

Deserted? The place emptied out after Bullet was spreading disinformation. He kept telling anyone who would ask that the snow was mashed potatoes and the lift line down the bottom was really big. His recommendation to go to other lifts was well received by many parties. He managed (me too) not to erupt with laughter when he was thanked for his wisdom.

We still have to work on Bullet's directions. I turned right towards him in that picture, until I saw a new stash. Well, I headed right towards the fluff and sacrificied the photo op. Oh well.

Thumbs up

TFSB
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Comish is living a charmed life this season. Maybe I should fly down to LA and drive with him to Jackson since wherever he goes, the snow seems to follow. Well, except for the Utah mini.

comish - Those are sweet shots. In the first photo I think that is Snowman from Mammoth coming down skiers right from your tracks. He has a similar photo at his site. http://mammothsnowman.com/

Nice shots of Tarkman and Bullet

Great great weekend. There were freshies for all.

Bullet you going to share your photos?

That is a nice pic Comish! I am the kook on the way down. That was a sweet session on Friday also!!! Nice to meet ya on 22.

Here is what P1 looked just moments later.
    Just the truth from Mt. Mammoth!
    www.mammoth-snowman.com

So as Comish stated, it was ON this weekend at Mammoth. Made it up Friday evening to friend's rubbing it in what a good day it had been. Top didn't open so I knew there would be plenty for me the next morning Woke up early with only a few clouds in the sky and knew it was only a matter of time before it went full on bluebird. Lagged a bit getting to chair 2, but still managed to score first chair. They had a little bit of trouble getting chair 2 turning, so got beat by a couple chairs on chair 1 getting in the gondi line. However it ended up being no big deal and scored third car up the upper gondi. My parter in crime Nikki (ripper chick who needs to hook up w/ some maggetes) and I head out to Drop Out 3 and get a creamy line down to Chair 23. Just after we get in line, 23 starts loading and we made our way out to the noids. Score a good line out there, not as deep, but still stoke. From there decided to hit up the backside, getting a short, but sweet line down the Hemlocks. The rest of the day was spent making laps in some deeper stashes... yes it was good. Sunday was spent tracking out the few spots that weren't trashed and fooling around with the camera with a non-mag friend. Felt the maggot vibe and asked for change and sure enough it was Comish and crew. It was good meeting you and we should make some turns sometime. Good to see maggots out there killing it!

Unfortuntantely my lap top burned up last week so I'm currently technically challenged, so I was only able to upload a few pics on this wheezing machine... enjoy

Heading to the backside

Non-mag friend laying it down

Stoked...

Mammoth was awful sweet on Saturday, windblown duff early, then balls-out goodies off the top once it opened,
    then more fluff in Hemmy, then a small taste of BC over to Tamarack...

Shot of Hole-in-the-Wall and Last Chance Chute

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    Sunday it was off to bag some prime BC above June with Bullet, Tarkman, Joey Bag (aka Spalding), Smoking Fat Bob, & Aaron...
    One of the best runs of the year (about 3000vert, too)...
    I think Bullet got more shots, I was enjoying the rush too much to bother with the camera.

Tarkman and Joey Bag blazing trail

View from ride point

View from ride point

Carson Peak from ride point

Last shot, too much mindblowing action to take anymore riding down...

peace,
    BS.
    Last edited by BodhiSnowdude; 02-01-2005 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Resize pics
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet 2
    Pictures speak more than words.

87 Photos Here.
    Phew, for a second there I thought I would be upset for not being able to go this weekend FUCK!!! Nice shots Bullet!

Hopefully there will be something left this weekend....

pretty nice over there, huh?

Hey guys, you just found some of the overlooked incredible powder skiing in the country. Please, please just be discrete about posting lots of names and directions in this easy-access area- its starting to get a little crowded. Nice people like youselves will find their way.

If you kept goin up the ridge you'd come to this W facing cooler (fun, easy).

and then this spot a little further up (good for lunch)

If you continue up the ridge you'll pass another W couloir or 2, and some good E facing steep tree lines and a gully, and then you reach another high point where you can walk over to the top of Dream Mtn, which is that big AK looking N face you traversed under to get to the ridge you skied.

If anyone's interested I posted a response to Bullet's request for avvy info in the slide zone.

h

Very interesting discussion in the other forum. Thanks for the analysis. I suppose I'm happy with my decision for the day. I'm sure there were safe places out there, but you wouldn't have wanted to fuck it up and get on the wrong slope... I think you made a good call Bullet

Thanks for the sweet Saturday picts!

H-wood I look forward to hopefully hooking up for a few turns later in the winter. Don't worry, I think we are all cool with Stash !?!?!

my bad

I guess I fucked up the image post- here's the next two stops on the way up the ridge.
    w facing coolie
    chill spot

Quote Originally Posted by BodhiSnowdude
    A bunch of ginormous pics

Dude, your pics are sweet, but for the love of all that is holy resize those things.

Pura Vida, nice to meet you for a brief moment. We would've taken another lap but I was gimpin (stupid hucking) and the crazy Washington crew was at the top of 9 when we unloaded (and it was good meeting up with you fools).

Thanks to comish for a place to crash and immediately showing me pics of Saturday and what I missed (bastard). I was just stoked to get my ass away from a desk and in the mountains for an absolutely beautiful day on Sunday. I would have an assload of sweet pics from Sunday if I weren't a photo jackass and underexpose when I meant to overexpose. Oh, and trying to keep up with the Washington crew on one good leg and teleing made me think I might just have to go back to alpine because skiing fast looked really damn fun.

Quote Originally Posted by comish
    Couple more picts.

Tarkman aka Mr. Wrongway!
    I heart that photo.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I'm glad you liked the pict AKPM, but it figures you would heart the pict where Tarkman goes the wrong way.

Bodhi, I gotta agree with CS on this. Please for the love of god, resize your picts. They are great and I dig seeing them, but dude, they are toooo big.

I can't fricken work because I keep thinking of all that pow from last weekend!!!!!!! Damn powder is like crack. I can't get enough!

Some damn nice pictures in this thread, total thumbs up!

BobMc

Quote Originally Posted by msnowmn
    That is a nice pic Comish! I am the kook on the way down. That was a sweet session on Friday also!!! Nice to meet ya on 22.

Here is what P1 looked just moments later.
    stunning! now, I'm wondering, am I the only person that would have taken approximately 2.3 turns down that entire face? If you are a freeheeler, however, I understand.
    Believe.

Thumbs up Sweet!

Great pictures!
    Sweet nipple deep snow... Now, can you please pass on some weather systems to us further east?

Last weekend was unreal. This was the first time I didn't feel like I was utterly gaping it in deep snow, and my exploder fan club membership application is now in the mail.

We pulled the camera out late Saturday afternoon, and I finally got some decent action pics.

shane-o, origin of an addiction:

The mountain was still holding some amazing stashes Sunday afternoon.

sweetwater, to whom I'm eternally grateful for taking the above pics:

The smile says it all:

I recommend utilizing the jacket zipper, however

FKNA! Beautiful shots, sweet terrain. So there's more to Mammoth than terrain parks?! Weird