Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2011-2012 TGR Maggot POV Contest

Ok folks, for those that doubted: it's time to fire up the editing software and see what you've been doing this winter.

Please read the following rules carefully- for this first year, we kept it as simple as we could. First off: MANY thanks to SkiFishBum for coming up with the idea- we wouldn't be at this point without his initial stoking of the fire.

EDIT: We are rolling up all voting into one big poll. There will no longer be regional voting, at least not this year. Still a maximum of 8 people per team.

How To Register Your Team: The team needs to pick a team leader, who needs to post in THIS THREAD with the following: Team name, region, state, the board names of your team ( each one will be tied to an email address, so TGR will have that on file when you post in the thread to get in touch with you later if you’ve won a prize), and a short team bio.

Important: Each team member must have been a registered member of the TGR forums by April 16.

Please use something like the following format:

Team leader: Southeast Maggot
    Team name: PNW Beaters
    State: OR
    Region: PNW
    Team Member #1: Maggot Joe
    Team Member #2: Maggot Chris
    Team Member #3: Maggot Bob
    Team Bio: 4 people terrible at skiing, but good at yardsales and drinking beer.

and so on. If you do not post in this thread, but upload a video to the submission page, it will not count. This is so that we can keep track of the regions and teams, and assign you a team number. If a region fills up, I will try to catch it as soon as possible and post that the region is full.

Rules/Submission/Prizes/Voting

Submissions:

Submissions will start on Monday April 16th, and will be open until May 22. Edit length is a maximum of 10 minutes. Remember that internet attention spans are short, and if you are going to do a 10 minute edit, it had better be a siiiiick 10 minutes of footage. Or hilarious. Do not submit a video without first posting the team details required above to this thread.

Important: For this first year, we prefer current season footage, but feel free to dig into your archives from previous seasons. We want good entries to get this thing going this year. Also, the footage does not necessarily have to be from a POV camera- this is more about the maggot's Point Of View, not necessarily the camera on your helmet.

Upload and Voting:

Videos will be uploaded to YouTube- apologies if you prefer Vimeo, but YT is easier for us to deal. Please only one edit per team. Your video will need to capture everything- sick skiing, excellent maggotry, and good beaters. That single edit will be the one you use for all categories. Once you’ve uploaded the video to the forums via YouTube embed, please email dev@tetongravity.com with the link to the video, and your forum username.

A SUBMISSION THREAD TO POST YOUR EDITS WILL BE GOING UP THE WEEKEND OF MAY 13-14.

There will be 2 Group Categories, and 4 Individual Categories for prizes:

Group Categories:
    Overall Edit (Prizes for 1st and 2nd place)
    Most Fun

Individual Categories:
    Maggot of the Year
    Maggette of the Year
    Best Line
    Best Beater

Overall Edit and Most Fun Voting:
    There will now be one "Global" poll for voting- everyone is competing against all others for the Most Fun and Best Overall Edit honors. VOTING WILL BE LIMITED TO FORUM MEMBERS WHO JOINED BEFORE APRIL 16. If your join date is after that, your vote will not be counted.

Individual Category Voting:
    Again, there will be one Global poll for individual awards. When we get the submission page up, each embed must be accompanied by the forum name of the individual, as well as the timestamp in the edit to be considered (Ex: Southeast Maggot at 3:53 for Best Beater). Limit one individual submission per team edit. You guys are going to have to figure it out amongst your teams who has the best shot at getting through to the finals.

Prizes:

Group prizes will be given for:

Best Overall Edit - Each team member receives a Smith helmet, goggles, sunglasses, and a pack
    Second Overall Edit - GoPro HD Hero2 for each team member
    Most Fun - Outdoor Research Igneo Jacket for each team member

Individual prizes will be given for:

Maggot of the Year
    Maggette of the Year
    Best Line
    Best Beater – In which no humans were injured in the making of the film

Each individual prize winner will win a pair of 2012-2013 Atomic Skis

Many, many thanks to the sponsors who are making the prizes possible and supporting the TGR maggot community.

Also, we really want to make this an annual thing, but for that to happen we need participation. So fellow maggots, lets get together and put together some kickass footage. I know there's more than enough stoke out there to make this a great contest.

while i'm not film-worthy skier, i am good at watching them
    i'm looking forward to seeing the stoke!

thanks for arranging this, SEmaggot and tgr!!

IMO, All the footage in the edit should be from this season. That is all. Thanks for putting all this together I'm sure there will be some great entries

Sounds fun but our season goes to the end of May with the best skiing and lines happening from now until then. Will try to put something together for next season using footage from the later part of this season for the CDN rockies.

...does it have to be POV??? I've been shooting mostly camcorder footage as everyone and their dog is on the POV wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    ...does it have to be POV??? I've been shooting mostly camcorder footage as everyone and their dog is on the POV wagon.
    nopesireebob8char:

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot
    Also, the footage does not necessarily have to be from a POV camera- this is more about the maggot's Point Of View, not necessarily the camera on your helmet.

wow! some very very nice prizes to be handed out

What about being a one man team? will that fly?

Quote Originally Posted by drail View Post
    What about being a one man team? will that fly?
    We actually talked about this- the whole point of SkiFishBum's original plan was to get mags to meet other mags, so for the purposes of this contest a team is defined as 3 or more people. Maybe post up in one of the BC conditions threads and see if there are a couple other folks willing to combine their powers with yours?

Team Fardrift

Team leader: Carson Meyer
    Team name: Team Fardrift
    State: Wy
    Region: Northern Rockies
    Team Member #1: Sawyer Thomas (sawyerthomas)
    Team Member #2: Sam Schwartz (skifreejh)
    Team Member #3: Skyler Everitts (soeveritts)
    Team Member #4: Shea Fischer (sheafish)
    Team Member #5: Carson Meyer (jhskiers)
    Team Member #6: Otto Wieters (Octavio1)
    Team Bio: 16 year olds ripping up Jackson Hole

Red Mountain Criminals

Team leader: Darryl Hunt (drail)
    Team name: Red Mountain Criminals
    Province: British Columbia
    Region: Canada
    Team Member #1: Darryl Hunt (drail)
    Team Member #2: Brace (btucker)
    Team Member #3: Duncan Browning (BobTheRussianGarbageMan)
    Team Bio: Some Rossland based drinking bums with a serious skiing problem.

Team Leader: Heather Buckingham (Heather Buckingham)
    Team name: The Outfit
    Province: BC
    Team Member #1: Haley Wright (HailStorm)
    Team Member #2: Eliot Brooks
    Team Member #3: Jared Kesteven
    Team Member #4: Graham Henry
    Team Bio: part-time students, part-time skiers, full-time tomfoolery

what about pictures edited to a movie? (we are in general not interested in looking like stupid narcissistic nerds, so no go-pro-ing).

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Buckingham View Post
    Team Member #2: Eliot Brooks
    Team Member #3: Jared Kesteven
    Team Member #4: Graham Henry
    Is the rest of your team registered for the forum? If not, get them to register right now- the cutoff is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    what about pictures edited to a movie? (we are in general not interested in looking like stupid narcissistic nerds, so no go-pro-ing).
    I don't think there's a problem with that, as long as you think you can compete with video.

Is the rest of your team registered for the forum? If not, get them to register right now- the cutoff is today.
    If not all of them register, can we still enter as a team? Or do we have to cut out them out of the film?

Swashbucklers

Team leader: Alpendude
    Team name: Swashbucklers
    State: WA
    Region: PNW
    Team Member #1: Alpendude
    Team Member #2: Teague
    Team Member #3: freedomboy
    Team Bio: A term developed in the 16th century to describe rough, noisy and boastful swordsmen. It is based on a fighting style filled with much "swashing and making noise". Today the term "swashbuckler" has changed, and refers to the riding style employed in heavy cascade powder.

Team Member #2: Eliot Brooks (ebrooks23)
    Team Member #3: Jared Kesteven (Suppadingles)
    Team Member #4: Graham Henry (ghenry)

When does the voting start? And how is it being judged?

Quote Originally Posted by jhskiers View Post
    When does the voting start? And how is it being judged?
    Voting starts as soon as the upload period ends- vote happens via forum polls for members registered before yesterday. No trolling Facebook for votes this time- if you joined after April 16, your vote will not count. We really want to make this about the maggot voice.

I thought it was a maggot contest...alot of these people don't even have posts...or 2 posts???

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    I thought it was a maggot contest...alot of these people don't even have posts...or 2 posts???
    This is tricky- we had to put a cutoff somewhere. If we put it before we announced the contest, that would mean existing mags only, but then what do you do with a team of 4 maggots who ski with a 5th guy who wants to be on the team, will join the board, and maybe become a contributing member? It was a tough call, but we figured we would give people a single week after the contest announcement to pull in any friends they might have.

FYI- if you have a team, please try to get yourself posted in this thread sooner rather than later. At some point we will have to call if off if we can't get enough contributions. All you need is to get your team together and figure out a leader/name/bio.

To be fair, I didn't know what "maggot" meant until after I entered the contest. Now I have 4 posts, and more to come. Stoked to see these videos!

Quote Originally Posted by Heather Buckingham View Post
    To be fair, I didn't know what "maggot" meant until after I entered the contest. Now I have 4 posts, and more to come. Stoked to see these videos!

I want to join your team, I can get 1000 posts by May. It has been done.
    [/

Quote Originally Posted by vdRONdripper View Post
    I want to join your team, I can get 1000 posts by May. It has been done.
    [/
    Hello fellow tele-skier! I'm sorry, but we've already finished editing our movie... maybe next time!