Thread: Fat Bikes

Fat Bikes

Thinking about getting a fat bike?

I ride everyday, year round in the Chicago area. We don't get a lot of snow, but can have snow cover 6-8 weeks most years. I mostly ride horse trails and they are soft quite often.
    I was thinking it might be nice to have something to smooth out the trails?

So do I try out a Pug first, go straight to a Moonlander or something else?

I'd go pugs or similar for your horse trails. Moonlander is really for the soft stuff. Pugsley, Mukluk, splurge a little and get a 9:zero:7 or Fatback, or splurge a lot and get a custom Ti.

the MTBR forums will fill your head with visions of sugarplums

Pugs is a good first Fat bike. I have been on one for two years now and it gets as much saddle time as my FS Stumpy. The traction these things have is off the scale.

I have my eye on several new frames in the pipe. Probably get 907 in Fall when the frame I want should be available again.

The ML is billed as a Pugs on steriods. Not many need that level of float.
    watch out for snakes

can you just put "thinner" tire on the ML to make it more pug like? Seems like a better bet, as you can't add more to the pug?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    can you just put "thinner" tire on the ML to make it more pug like? Seems like a better bet, as you can't add more to the pug?
    You can, but I would (and did) go with the Pugsley. The conditions that the ML can ride through that the Pugs can't are so unpleasant to actually pedal through that I don't mind missing the extra width (and expense, etc.).
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Some folks have a skinny set of 29" wheels and tires for the summer setup on the fat bikes. That is a lot like wearing the small condom when you really need the XL.

I like to run my 65mm Large Marge rims and Nate tires for summer single track.

You could in theory do the same with the ML.
    watch out for snakes

I just want a moonlander for the sheer decadence of the thing. I really don't need it, just want...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I just want a moonlander for the sheer decadence of the thing. I really don't need it, just want...
    Well if you can afford it...

Some of the kewl things are the smiles you get from folks especially kids, great conversation starter and overall happy machine.

Fat bikes are the monster trucks of the bike world.
    watch out for snakes