More help need...bachelor party, cigars, scotch, and good fishing.

Maggots, I need more help. I am tying the knot this year in October and it is time for a bachelor party. I was going to do the whole Vegas thing, but after toalking to my best man and him talking to the other guys, we think it would be more fun to do a fishing trip with everyone.

I was hoping someone could make some good suggestions for towns and rivers and guides. It would be a 3 day weekend trip with probably 6 to 8 guys.

Ideally, I would like a cabin that we could sit by a fire, drink some scotch in the evenings and BS. It needs to be within driving distance of Denver as we have some guys from other states flying in. Timing is July/August. We would like to do a day of floating and a day of wading. Access to private water would be killer, but not mandatory, and a small town with some food and dive bars would be a big plus.

Would like something outside of the Front Range, which I get to fish all the time. Pagosa Springs? Durango?

Thank you as always!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Didn't someone just post a Maggot bachelor party TR ? I remember being pretty impressed by those pics. I'd find and duplicate...........
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Didn't someone just post a Maggot bachelor party TR ? I remember being pretty impressed by those pics. I'd find and duplicate...........
    Wasn't that a skiing and snowmobiling bachelor party? I was impressed with that as well!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Any thoughts on Grey Reef in August? Hopper action? Float it for two days?

Roaring Fork Valley maybe?

http://www.vrbo.com/234165

No idea how close it is to a town with dive bars (Lake George?) but it looks like a cool place with just over a mile of the Tarryall. Closest float fishing would be on the Ark (1-2 hours?). Fish for 4-5 hours the morning then break out inner tubes and float it with a beer in your hand. Guessing you would likely need to bring in strippers from the Springs.

For cigars, go to Palma on Larimer between 22nd and 23rd. Buy the ones dipped in Cognac and Grand Marnier. My old man's been smoking for years, has expensive taste, and said these were some of the best he's ever had. Run about $6 each, but probably get a deal on a box of 20.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Wasn't that a skiing and snowmobiling bachelor party? I was impressed with that as well!
    Yeah, and I do believe I saw some girl on girl action mixed in .......... strictly for educational purposes I'm sure.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

A two day camp and float trip through the Gunnison canyon would be so sweet....but it is $1200 per person, and sounds a little extreme for a bachelor party.

Grey reef in August can be slow. They often have to let out big flows that bump up and down on an inconsistent basis. Although, if there is ample rainfall and/or a late summer it can be stable. Stable = real fucking good!

Personally, I'd stay in CO that time of year or maybe hit the north platte close to the CO/WY boarder. The NP is an incredible and overlooked river In that area. Fishing slows due to hot weather and river temps but the area is fucking awesome and you can still rip plenty of lip. Cheap too. As for CO I dont have enough experience to weigh in on specific places.

Thanks Schwerty....I guess we will stear clear of Grey Reef...don't want to risk it for the out of towners.

As for the North Platte at the border...shshs that is a horrible place to fish. ;-)

I actually get back there every year a couple times as long as the water temps don't get too bad once run-off starts. The river can be wide, flat and shallow in a lot of places.

Thank you.

I was gonna say NP. Saratoga and Encampment have good small town bars. The Gunny Gorge is a pain in the ass but it is the fucking gorge. Do you have any rowing experience? We always laugh at the guides choads down there. I know you fish there a bunch but Grand County could be good, float the upper, plenty of private water, I can turn you on to some guides. Oh...the cabins, fires and drinking thing we got covered. The White? Ark? San Juans? 6-8 dudes is a lot for a fishing trip.

The Fork and Pan...Aspen. That's a good call.

Either Roaring Fork Valley, staying in Carbondale for the Pan or Fork or head to Steamboat and fish the Yampa and Elk Rivers. Great fishing in both spots, scenic and cool towns plus Both towns have weekly rodeos which is a good way to start an evening of drunkeness in the mountains. If in Steamboat and you want private water, look into the Rocky Mountain Angling Club, although the concept is lame, could provide some unique experiences for a weekend.

Have a buddy who has guided in Aspen for several years, PM me if you go that route and are interested.

Best idea ever!

We did the exact same thing up here last September long weekend for my good ski/fishing buddy. We went to Fernie, British Columbia which is as good of a fishing area as it is known for skiing. Pick a good theme to declass what ever town you roll into...We went with offensive t-shirts and cutoff jean shorts. No cameras where allowed, but the mental images still haunt me...fishing was good too...I think

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I was gonna say NP. Saratoga and Encampment have good small town bars. The Gunny Gorge is a pain in the ass but it is the fucking gorge. Do you have any rowing experience? We always laugh at the guides choads down there. I know you fish there a bunch but Grand County could be good, float the upper, plenty of private water, I can turn you on to some guides. Oh...the cabins, fires and drinking thing we got covered. The White? Ark? San Juans? 6-8 dudes is a lot for a fishing trip.
    Can't go wrong with Toga/Camp,,,,, Take a look at Dutch John and the Green - BYOB....
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^^ no bars in DJ unless you road trip 1 hour to vernal or rock springs. An a b c river camp/ float would be doable or maybe to late in the season but there are a couple of cool lodges/ranches outside Duschene in Altamont, lc ranch, falcons ledge, six lakes. Six lakes has a pretty good affordable campin option and a nice 8-10 person cabin. Dive bars under 1/2 hour drive from ranches.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

This really has nothing to do with colorado fishing, but pretty sure the guys at RO boats have a boat sitting around that the rear seat pulls off and can mount a stripper pole. just saying....

for my buddy's bachelor party we went to Yakutat. Unfortunately we could find no strippers
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

i dunno, sfb's boat and another boat, and a few cases of good beer, a case of whiskey, a bag of somethin' or other on the A and B sections sounds pretty awesome to me. strippers might be a problem though. lifelinksplit is onto somethin' though.

if you really want colorado though, look into the rio grande below creede. or maybe the animas.

Thanks. It does not necessarily have to be Colorado. Strippers really are not a priority on this leg of the trip, and I think it will be more like 6 guys rather then 8.

I wish we had some boats....guides are expensive!

That time of year - this season - I would make Glenwood Springs my base and go from there. Multiple river options Maybe just south of town to avoid too many tourists and others that may not approve of rowdy times.

Grey Reef is one of my favorite float and wade spots, but the scenery is kind of ugly compared to some other options and the crowds are getting worse. But there are some gigantic fish.

I'd consider New Mexico. You could float the San Juan. You can wade fish the San Juan, and there is a lot of amazing water like the Chama. Then you could drive north into Colorado and fish the Upper San Juan, Delores, Rio Grande, or Animas.

Gunnison Gorge is worth it. The Roaring Fork Valley is pretty hard to beat for float and wade options.

And the Vail Valley might not be what you are looking for, but there is a lot of really nice water and there are float and wade options.