Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Swim Sets

Swim Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I think my times were fairly even, but this place has no legit clock. Just a 12 inch diameter institutional wall clock mounted on the side wall up high. I don’t think it has a second hand. Place is bush league, all 6 lanes were occupied, but all the other people were walking/dog paddling. Complete beaters. This is small town northern Wisconsin, most were fattys, but at least they were trying. I was King of the Pool for that hour. I asked about a Masters program, no one on the staff had ever heard of Masters Swimming. Couldn’t believe it.

4matic is a swimmer ? Can’t believe it never came up when we skied together in Big Sky.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Small college all America in freestyle. I was probably better at water polo relatively. No one swam with the ball faster and I had arm like a cannon from Baseball. I also played #1 for the college tennis team my senior year.

I don’t use pace clock. I time my swims in songs. My goal is 10 songs before I stop.

Also. I work a lot on alternate breathing and balance. Probably half my swim. It’s a huge help for balance and breath control.

A lot of strong dedicated swimmers are fatty. It’s not necessarily unhealthy fat. I think some of it is the cold water makes you retain a little fat. Like a seal..

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    A lot of strong dedicated swimmers are fatty. It’s not necessarily unhealthy fat. I think some of it is the cold water makes you retain a little fat. Like a seal..
    Not summer sanders. I used to shower with her,

On the pool deck.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Segway: Did anyone catch Katie Ledecky's 1500 free on TV on Sat.? Holy Shiite!!. She finished a good 30 seconds ahead of the second place finisher. She is on another planet.
    That sounds like torture to me at 49.

It’s only the last few yrs my swimming has sucked. Range of motion etc. I’d love to get back into masters shape one day, but it has to be an out door pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Stroke drills. Maximum distance per stroke. #1 advice for any non swimmer triathlete learning how the fuck we swimmers glide like we do.
    Body position in general. If I gave lessons to anyone who didn't have a competitive swimming background the absolute first thing I'd work on would be body position. Reducing drag is easier than increasing propulsion. If your body position sucks you'll always struggle.

This morning I did a fairly short rest aerobic set as my main set. I haven't done much of this lately, so it was a good change of pace:
    (25 yard pool)
    150 IM no free on 2:10
    2x150 free on 2:00
    3x100 free on 1:20
    4x75 free on 1:00

I was holding around 2:00 for the IM and 1:10-1:12/100 pace on the free.

I swam D1 in college, but I wasn't good. I would have been a good D3 swimmer, but not outstanding. I'm sure I'd make finals at D3 Nationals, but I certainly wouldn't have won anything ( and nowadays D3 is much stronger. There are some really fast swimmers at that level).

At one time they were cheap. Now a good waterproof iPod setup is $250 new. I have a new 8g waterproof MP3 player. It’s too much trouble for me since I’m ITunes and none of my stuff is MP3. I’ll send it to you for free.

It’s a Syryn 8g.
    PM sent.

Thanks !

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Some good workouts posted here. Thanks AD, nick, 4mat, & others. Right now I am still getting back into the grove, and focused on general fitness not speed, so my workouts are real simple. As time goes on I will get more serious about it and get more creative. I like 4matic’s music idea and I am stoked about the gear he is sending me.

Today’s workout
    5 x 200m (60 seconds rest)
    5 minutes rest
    5 x 100m (30 seconds rest)

I was really slowing down on the last 200 and my form went to shit, so on the 100’s I used a pull bouy.

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Has anyone tried this player?

https://h2oaudio.com/products/sonar-...ter-headphones

Having it all tied together is intriguing.

Swim Sets

Here’s my usual.

200 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull

400 kick with fins.

5x 100 @ 1:45

50 warm down.

Or

400 swim, 10 x 75 kick with fins, 400 I’m lrps. (Left,right,pull swim).

50 warm down.

Or

10 x 100 @ 1:45 then hit then steam room.

Worst set in my life was new yrs day, every yr, 100x 100 meters @ 1:15. Short course meters. We actually had a guy who did them on the 1:05, needless to say he was somebody.

Safe to say everything has been down hill since those days.

Package received from 4matic.

SWEET ! I have a lane reserved tomorrow morning for an hour.

THANKS !

I'm not really a swimmer but I swam in the lake without a wetsuit for the first time this year, just a third of a mile but it was nice not feel my feet and not need earplugs.

Package received from 4matic.

SWEET ! I have a lane reserved tomorrow morning for an hour.

THANKS !

Sorry no earbuds with it. Buried somewhere in storage. I have a bunch too..

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I'm not really a swimmer but I swam in the lake without a wetsuit for the first time this year, just a third of a mile but it was nice not feel my feet and not need earplugs.
    I've heard both the lake and sound are warming up quite quickly this spring.

I’m getting some neck pain after swimming. Been going 3 times a week. Doing yoga helps. What is the story with snorkels ? Thoughts/advice wanted.

Name:  Image1619752415.808689.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  21.0 KB

I’m getting some neck pain after swimming. Been going 3 times a week. Doing yoga helps. What is the story with snorkels ? Thoughts/advice wanted.
    I've got the Finis swimmer's snorkel (the exact one in your picture) and love it. I use it almost every workout. If you get one, realize there is a learning curve. You're probably going to feel like you're drowning a couple times before you get the hang of it, but once you get it dialed it it's no problem. I swim almost as fast with a snorkel as without.

As far as the neck pain make sure you are looking straight down at the bottom of the pool. I suspect you're lifting your head a bit and don't even realize it.

Swim Sets

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

As far as the neck pain make sure you are looking straight down at the bottom of the pool. I suspect you're lifting your head a bit and don't even realize it.
    Right, your whole body turns to breath not just turn your neck. Practice balance and floating. The goal is effortless front and back prone float. Eye/head position is very important. Flip turns are measured from the bottom of the pool. If you are swimming freestyle correctly you can’t see the + on the wall.

I've got the Finis swimmer's snorkel (the exact one in your picture) and love it. I use it almost every workout. If you get one, realize there is a learning curve. You're probably going to feel like you're drowning a couple times before you get the hang of it, but once you get it dialed it it's no problem. I swim almost as fast with a snorkel as without.

Right, your whole body turns to breath not just turn your neck. Practice balance and floating. The goal is effortless front and back prone float. Eye/head position is very important. Flip turns are measured from the bottom of the pool. If you are swimming freestyle correctly you can’t see the + on the wall.
    Great advice. I showed up late for my reserved lane today, only got in 1,000 meters. I worked on keeping my head looking down. Turns out my head had been at least at a 45 degree angle looking forward, maybe even more. No neck pain afterwards. Thanks !

I am getting a snorkel. Good recommendation from AD on the Finis. I have been getting my stuff from Swim Outlet dot com. Is that the best site for swim stuff or should I be looking on other sites ?

Swim outlet is pretty good

Yeah, I've found swimoutlet.com to be pretty good.

Snorkel and MP3 are both game changers. Using snorkel has really smoothed out my stroke, and allowed me to concentrate on form. Music makes it not boring. Today’s workout was based on time, not distance or sets. Did one hour with no break. A month ago I could not have done that.

Heh, MP3 player from 4matic came loaded with music. I have skied and drank beer with 4matic, he is a super nice guy, but this music selection is a window into his soul. 60’s motown, 90’s grunge, heavy metal, Parliament/Funkadelic, all kinds of music loaded on this little player.

I’m getting in good shape and feeling good, thanks for the tips, advice, and gear.

60 minute continuous swim is good work. You’ll get fit doing that.

Wish I could have fully loaded it for you. 80’s is my wheelhouse. The Cure, Gang of Four, Joy Division. But yeah, I grew up on Motown.

Great advice. I showed up late for my reserved lane today, only got in 1,000 meters. I worked on keeping my head looking down. Turns out my head had been at least at a 45 degree angle looking forward, maybe even more. No neck pain afterwards. Thanks !

I am getting a snorkel. Good recommendation from AD on the Finis. I have been getting my stuff from Swim Outlet dot com. Is that the best site for swim stuff or should I be looking on other sites ?

If you are lifting, or doing pull ups, you may be over loading your neck. That’s when mine hurts.

Also, don’t forget to alternate breathing to both sides.

Reserved lane? Yellowstone Club pool? Do they dry you off afterwards?

I started swimming almost 3 months ago for low impact exercise. I know how to swim and im comfortable and confident in the water but I had never swam for exercise and haven't had any formal training beyond childhood swim lessons.

I started out barely making it down the 25 yard lane and back so I would do the front crawl down and back and then kick on my back down and back. I started out not even able to coordinate breathing so I just held my head out of the water.

Now I can swim the whole 45 minutes im allowed in the pool. I usually do mostly the front regular swim and then add some back stroke and beast stroke.

I'm pretty sure my form sucks because even if I give it all I've got for just a few strokes the other people pass me like I'm not even moving.

I have been trying to find swimming lessons but thats been hard with the covids. I finally found a group class that has 5 people, 2 of which cannot even really swim at all... its a half hour and pretty useless except I did learn I should be breathing every 3 strokes instead of 2 which has completely messed up my pace/flow, but I'm trying.

I have have watched some YouTube, and I got a kick board which I think I've improved my kicking just by seeing what makes me go faster...

Advice? I dont really want to race or anything, I just want to be competent. Plus I'm really enjoying it, and it made my back stop hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    I did learn I should be breathing every 3 strokes instead of 2 which has completely messed up my pace/flow, but I'm trying.
    Debatable. I think it's worthwhile to learn to breathe to both sides, but certainly not necessary. There are lots of really good swimmers who only breathe to one side.

My advice is that body position is the most important thing in swimming. It's easier to reduce drag than it is to increase propulsion. Keep your head in a neutral position looking down toward the bottom of the pool as much as possible. Kick from the hips and keep your kick small in amplitude (again, the drag thing). When swimming front or back strokes think of your body rotating on a spit. When your left hand enters the water you want to be rolled onto your left side and vice versa for the right.

Debatable. I think it's worthwhile to learn to breathe to both sides, but certainly not necessary. There are lots of really good swimmers who only breathe to one side.

My advice is that body position is the most important thing in swimming. It's easier to reduce drag than it is to increase propulsion. Keep your head in a neutral position looking down toward the bottom of the pool as much as possible. Kick from the hips and keep your kick small in amplitude (again, the drag thing). When swimming front or back strokes think of your body rotating on a spit. When your left hand enters the water you want to be rolled onto your left side and vice versa for the right.
    Thanks! I notice I dont rotate as much to the one side I dont like to breathe on so its probably good to work on it?

I have been pretty much dying trying to breathe every third stoke because I want more air. I could pretty much cruise long doing a flip turn at the ends of the lanes for a long time breathing every other and with every third stoke I can go down do one turn snd then I either switch to breathing every other or die.

I've been working on that some and sometimes not worrying about it and working on kicking.
    My legs definitely want to sink if I'm not paying attention.

I feel like it's time to figure out some structure beyond just go til I'm tired, though.