Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Swim Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Salvelinusconfluentus View Post
    Thanks! I notice I dont rotate as much to the one side I dont like to breathe on so its probably good to work on it?

I have been pretty much dying trying to breathe every third stoke because I want more air. I could pretty much cruise long doing a flip turn at the ends of the lanes for a long time breathing every other and with every third stoke I can go down do one turn snd then I either switch to breathing every other or die.
    Yes, it's good for developing a symmetrical stroke. A couple things you can try: 1. just always breathe to the same side of the pool, i.e. to your left on the way down, to your right on the way back. 2. use a 3-2-3-2 breathing pattern. You'll find it's quite a bit easier than a steady every three.

Swim Sets

I started swimming almost 3 months ago for low impact exercise. I know how to swim and im comfortable and confident in the water but I had never swam for exercise and haven't had any formal training beyond childhood swim lessons.

I started out barely making it down the 25 yard lane and back so I would do the front crawl down and back and then kick on my back down and back. I started out not even able to coordinate breathing so I just held my head out of the water.

Now I can swim the whole 45 minutes im allowed in the pool. I usually do mostly the front regular swim and then add some back stroke and beast stroke.

I'm pretty sure my form sucks because even if I give it all I've got for just a few strokes the other people pass me like I'm not even moving.

I have been trying to find swimming lessons but thats been hard with the covids. I finally found a group class that has 5 people, 2 of which cannot even really swim at all... its a half hour and pretty useless except I did learn I should be breathing every 3 strokes instead of 2 which has completely messed up my pace/flow, but I'm trying.

I have have watched some YouTube, and I got a kick board which I think I've improved my kicking just by seeing what makes me go faster...

Advice? I dont really want to race or anything, I just want to be competent. Plus I'm really enjoying it, and it made my back stop hurting.
    Kickboard can cause terrible habits like picking your head up. If you want to kick, practice on your side with no board. hold your breath so your eyes and torso are facing the side wall. One hand at your side and one out front.

It doesn’t sound like your swim class is teaching much. There is a lot to learn at very slow pace.

Advice is same as before; your eyes need to be straight down at the bottom of the pool. If your head is in the right position your feet will naturally be close to the surface. Head down>feet up.

The kickboard is the only way I can make my legs feel like they are getting a workout, but I will try what you suggest.

Yeah, the lessons are pretty pointless. The poor girl is kind of in an impossible situation. Nobody has any private or adult lessons because of the covids.

The kickboard is the only way I can make my legs feel like they are getting a workout, but I will try what you suggest.

Yeah, the lessons are pretty pointless. The poor girl is kind of in an impossible situation. Nobody has any private or adult lessons because of the covids.
    No, it’s easy to teach swim basics if you can put your head underwater without panic. She just not good which is typical.

You are better off kicking on your back vs using a kickboard. I kick on my back for leg work. Breaststroke kick can help your bad back too.

Kick on your back and don't use a kickboard unless doing breaststroke kicks. You'll work on your streamline (tight behind the ears and it'll pay dividends elsewhere keeping your stroke long and body position right) and you won't develop bad habits like with a board. If you want a better workout break out the fins and do intervals.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You'll work on your streamline (tight behind the ears and it'll pay dividends elsewhere keeping your stroke long and body position right)
    Yes, overlap your hands and squeeze your ears. That's the position you want to practice. No "Superman" position with your hands apart.

I was thinking yesterday of getting into swimming as a non-impact alternative to running in the summer. I'm early-20s and exercise regularly. Also seems good for avoiding the heat during the summer (I can only exercise in the afternoon/night) and building upper body strength, which I want. There's nothing going on up top for me.

How do I get into this? Are there certain pools or search terms that I should use or look for? I live in Salt Lake City.

What swimsuit should I buy? I have no issue wearing tight-fitting clothing (used to road bike), but I don't really want to wear a speedo. Goggles seem mandatory - do I need a swim cap?

What should I be doing to start? Working on technique? Trying to swim for as long of a time as possible? As I mentioned, my goals are to mix up my aerobic fitness activities and build upper body strength.

Do I need a lesson? I know how to swim, but I've never swam in any structured way.

Thanks!

I did 4matics kicking on my side thing, and the hard side to breathe on was way harder so I did an extra one that way. I also kicked on my back with arms outstretched and clasped together. Did work legs without kickboard.

I still struggled with breathing. I worked on what AD suggested and looking down. I feel like I'm relearning.

I realized I developed a voyeuristic habit of looking around at others in the pool... oops.

Any ideas for finding private lessons besides the pools? Right now you have to be a member pretty much everywhere but there is a nice outdoor pool thats now open or opening soon that is open to the public.

I did 4matics kicking on my side thing, and the hard side to breathe on was way harder so I did an extra one that way. I also kicked on my back with arms outstretched and clasped together. Did work legs without kickboard.

I still struggled with breathing. I worked on what AD suggested and looking down. I feel like I'm relearning.

I realized I developed a voyeuristic habit of looking around at others in the pool... oops.

Any ideas for finding private lessons besides the pools? Right now you have to be a member pretty much everywhere but there is a nice outdoor pool thats now open or opening soon that is open to the public.
    Good work.

Many private clubs offer lessons to non-members. Check with your local swim team coach or community college.

When I was training with the club team at the beginning of every season we spent time in pairs working on each other’s stroke down to the smallest minutiae. That really helps.

Breathing correctly other than body rotation requires a conscious “poof” to blow air out forcibly and a then a quick gasp.

Another tip. Slow your stroke way down and work on a tight nonstop kick. One arm at a time return to arm extended float.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    How do I get into this? Are there certain pools or search terms that I should use or look for? I live in Salt Lake City.
    Look for lap swimming times. You don't want to try to do training during a family swim kinda thing.

What swimsuit should I buy? I have no issue wearing tight-fitting clothing (used to road bike), but I don't really want to wear a speedo. Goggles seem mandatory - do I need a swim cap?
    Yes, you want goggles. I like the Speedo Vanquishers, but goggles are a personal preference kind of thing. Cap is optional. If you have long hair wear one, otherwise it's up to you unless a pool specifically requires it (which is rare in the U.S.). There are square cut suits that are a good alternative to a "Speedo." There are also what are called "jammers" that look a lot like bike shorts. Either of these is a good option.

What should I be doing to start? Working on technique?
    Yes, get your technique dialed in first. Think about private lessons if you can swing it.

Swim Sets

Dermatologist said wear a cap. You get a lot of sun swimming and again, my derm is not happy about my tan

Speedo Endurance jammer suit is the way to go. It’s hearty, modest and lasts forever.

Today breathing on the wrong side was easier, but still awkward. Thanks for the help! I will continue the private lesson search.

The last dozen posts of this thread about technique remind me about how 15 years of polo fucked up mine... but I like my zero kick free, unsymmetrical breast, heads-up back, and flutterfly...

And a friendly reminder that the fast lane is for fast swimmers... know your ability.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

After work open water swims (wetsuit, lake Natoma) are the bomb. Ive been doing 2000M swims a couple days a week and I love it. I'm struggling to get a sub 2:00/100M pace. Im only turning 25 Strokes per minute which I'm sure is killing my speed. Any other tips?
    Hello darkness my old friend

A lot of triathletes and the like have good things to say about Swim Smooth https://www.swimsmooth.com/welcome

My workout this morning was something I definitely would never do on my own. We started with around 1,500 yards of warmup type stuff and then went into the main set which was 7x50 on five minutes from a dive. Goal was to emulate the first 50 of a 100 race. I actually only had time to get in the first five, but I can tell you it's more difficult than it sounds. I alternated butterfly and free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    After work open water swims (wetsuit, lake Natoma) are the bomb. Ive been doing 2000M swims a couple days a week and I love it. I'm struggling to get a sub 2:00/100M pace. Im only turning 25 Strokes per minute which I'm sure is killing my speed. Any other tips?
    That's a cool place.. 25 as in 50 or full cycles? Wetsuit offers a lot of buoyancy so you probably gonna float whether you stroke or not.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    The last dozen posts of this thread about technique remind me about how 15 years of polo fucked up mine... but I like my zero kick free, unsymmetrical breast, heads-up back, and flutterfly...

And a friendly reminder that the fast lane is for fast swimmers... know your ability.
    If you start swimming again fix your stroke. It's not hard and so much more fun to swim. I really like modern breastroke; hated old style. It's almost like butterfly with a different stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    That's a cool place.. 25 as in 50 or full cycles? Wetsuit offers a lot of buoyancy so you probably gonna float whether you stroke or not.
    Im not totally sure Garmin say 25 SPM I imagine its full?
    Last edited by Dhelihiker; 06-11-2021 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    A lot of triathletes and the like have good things to say about Swim Smooth https://www.swimsmooth.com/welcome
    I think I may give this a go. now apple is going to know my swim insecurities

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I’m moving to the area in September. I can have a look and fix your stroke up.

Upped my game. Did 2,000 meters all 5 days last week. This week the same. Really feeling good. Strong and smooth.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I guess I'll update... I still can't go as far/fast breathing on both sides or the bad side but I've improved a lot.

I got a pull bouy and that helped a lot with working out the breathing. Im still looking for lessons. I would like to get serious about doing sprints or following a program or something but I'm nervous without knowing if I'm doing it wrong .

Tips appreciated.

This thread makes me miss swimming. The closest pool is an hour away.