WWMD: Stripped disc rotor bolt hole

One of the bolt holes on my rear hub is completely stripped (not sure how this happened) to the point where the bolt doesn't even grab the threads. I tried tapping it, but as soon as I tried putting the rotor back on, it stripped again while only putting the slightest tension on it. The hub is a Shimano cup and cone style (Deore level maybe?). Is it okay to run it with only 5 bolts instead of six? Also, I already dropped $25 on the tap set, not looking to spend any more money on this wheelset as I only paid $100 for it in the first place and am planning on replacing it after this summer anyway. I would just go get a new wheelset now, but money is a bit tight at the moment. WWMD?
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

5 bolt is fine. some of the WC racers only run 3!
    - - - - Skiing is for little fat kids - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    I set it up with 5 but can't seem to stop it from rubbing the pads. I've trued the rotor several times and it will be okay for a minute, but after a couple test brake pulls, it rubs just as bad as it did before. Is this related or did I just get a really untrue rotor out of the box?

Did you re-tap to the next size screw or try to reuse the same screw. You need to get new threads cut and a larger screw if you want to use six fasteners.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    I set it up with 5 but can't seem to stop it from rubbing the pads. I've trued the rotor several times and it will be okay for a minute, but after a couple test brake pulls, it rubs just as bad as it did before. Is this related or did I just get a really untrue rotor out of the box?
    Rotors come out of the box a little bent all the time. Especially if its a larger one. Its okay to have a little rub, but it should roll through the caliper smoothly.

WWRD?

If there's room on the hub to drill/tap it to 8mm (there should be), helicoil is your friend:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#helicoils/=gwi1d2

That way you keep the same size rotor bolts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Not sure if it would work but maybe glueing some steel wool in the hole. It works for stripped mounting holes on skis might be worth a shot. Just snug the bolt up lightly.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Quote Originally Posted by ridevt View Post
    +1. I have buddies that ride hard as hell and roll with three bolts on their rotors. AND they do it without any rotor rub, so I don't really think the rub you are getting is a result of missing one bolt. run 5 and forget it.

Azonic Outlaw wheels are $319 at pricepoint.com. Decided to just pull the trigger since I'm planning on replacing the wheels anyway (they have some other potential issues that could be a problem down the road). Thanks for the advice mags.

I only use three bolts on all my bikes but my dh.

It's no big deal. They'll come loose a little easier (why I run 6 on the dh) but it works fine. If it bugs you just get a helicoil. They're cheap.

If you have a warped rotor that doesn't rub when there are 6 bolts, that means you've tensioned the rotor when putting the bolts in. Tighten in opposing pairs. Or just run 3 equally spaced bolts.

I changed my mind about going to the next size bolt. Use a helicoil or a timesert with a standard rotor bolt. I have used timeserts on my motos a few times, but they are pricier than helicoils. Better also, but overkill. http://www.timesert.com/

Gorilla tape.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Either Run 3. if you run 5 on a true rotor if might be slightly out of true around the missing screw. Running 3 more evenly stresses the rotor than running 5.

Or: heli-coil if you can. Not as cheap but a good option none the less.