bilirubin in dog urine

Paging hutash.

Scare last week as we thought our dog had blood in her urine. Took sample to our local vet and tests were negative for blood but did show elevated level of bilirubin. Even tho the dog has been vaccinated for Lepto the doc was concerned enough to put her on Dioxocyclin(sp?) Blood work came back fine. Kept her all day and on an IV for fluids just in case.

Took another urine sample in this AM. Just got the call, levels are dropping and seems to be clearing up, no crystals forming, etc. Looking at the 11 listed common presenting symptoms for liver disease (http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/liverdisease.htm) the only one that applies is this: 5. Orange urine. The improper processing of bile results in the excretion of bilirubin in the urine in high amounts, thus orange urine.

Doc is still at a loss for diagnosis w/o invasive procedures. Any experience or ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Dogs dump bilirubin in their urine quite easily, and by itself doesn't mean much, unless at a really high level. (different for cats)

If the blood work is fine and the dog is normal probably not much of a worry.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks man. Doc wants another urine sample next week. And one of my sons went to MSU if you want any more input.

Was there elevated alt or ast? That is a better indicator of liver injury than bilirubin

...but you can have a normal liver and still have bad disease with an increased bili.

Blood work came back fine
    which I assume means ALT, AST, GGT, Alk Phos, Bili, are normal.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by crackboy View Post
    Was there elevated alt or ast? That is a better indicator of liver injury than bilirubin
    Latest sample today still elevated. They want her back tomorrow for a fasting blood draw. Said they couldn't tell from today's' sample whether it was AST or ALT, hence the trip tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guide View Post
    Latest sample today still elevated. They want her back tomorrow for a fasting blood draw. Said they couldn't tell from today's' sample whether it was AST or ALT, hence the trip tomorrow.
    What was still elevated? I don't know what you mean that they couldn't tell ast from alt???

iscariot