Mailing a full Snowpulse airbag cylinder - anyone with experience in this?

I'm headed to AK and may need to have a full cartridge for my Snowpulse Guide 30 airbag pack shipped there because I won't be able to have it filled upon arrival, mostly due to timing issues. Anybody have any experience in sending them full, and the best way to do that from CONUS?

I did some searching already, didn't find anything specific to Snowpulse or AK.

It would have to go as a hazardous good by ground if they will take it at all.

That sounds expensive and long - not the answer I was hoping for. Thanks for the info though.

guess you could skirt the system by just lying??? Totally unethical but hey...just hope whatever plane they put it on doesnt blow up.

Sounds like a great way to end up on a watch list, or in jail.

This will answer your questions: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...mon_items.html

I believe there is a $25 surcharge and the box has to be labeled hazardous.

All shipments to AK have to be sent overnight or 2nd day via UPS. no ground.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Can't most of those cylinders be filled up at fire stations who fill SCBA bottles. Do some research on your model, call the a station where you flying into. Show up, bring something cool thats not alcohol, because they're on duty (ice cream is great, structure guys love fat kid snacks)

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    Can't most of those cylinders be filled up at fire stations who fill SCBA bottles. Do some research on your model, call the a station where you flying into. Show up, bring something cool thats not alcohol, because they're on duty (ice cream is great, structure guys love fat kid snacks)
    You may want to look into an adapter, too.

http://store.northshorecompressor.co...l-adapter.html

Thanks for all the info and feedback. I did check into mailing and yeah, it's a hell of a hassle and you basically need to be certified in hazmat or find someone that is if you want to mail a full canister legally - anything over 180 psi makes it a major deal. My issue is I'm headed from Anchorage to Cordova after a few days on Thompson Pass. I can get it filled when I land in Anchorage at Dive Alaska, and PNH has a filling station at the local fire department in Cordova but their access to that seems to be pretty limited and the canisters they have are for Snowpulse 1.0 systems and their rental program with those bags - I have a 2.0. We're headed out first thing the next morning after we arrive for their heli-assisted touring program and the limited time I have in Cordova seems to make it pretty tough to get'er filled. It's possible they might be able to make something happen, not sure yet. Their bag rental program is mainly for the heli clients so we'll just see how it plays out.

Seems like the easiest way to have your canister filled heading into Cordova, if you're spending time in Anchorage first, is to fill it at Dive Alaska and then take the ferry to Cordova. Speaking of, is anyone taking the ferry to Cordova for the 4/8 arrival?

Bottom line is it seems they might be able to hook it up in Cordova, but might not, and so we'll just see, not sweat it too much and let ya'll know how it plays out.

Can you mail the empty canister to one of these places, have them fill it, and drop it off with somebody who holds it for you to pick up? Even if you have to pay extra for the service and buy somebody a case of beer for their trouble, that seems likely to be cheaper and much less hassle than mailing a full canister.