On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

GPS ride tracking for Droid X phone?

It appears my phone using the MyTracks app will not work with the phone inside a pocket or a backpack. Are there any apps that will accurately track a ride (distance, mappable, etc) using a motorola droid x while the phone is inside a pocket/bag?

If not are there bluetooth devices that can be tethered with my phone to track via GPS?

I am trying to avoid spending $400 bucks on a garmin type thing.

I searched here and pinkbike, but I didn't find shit.

Works fine for me in a pack. Sorry. Not a Motorola.

The Droid x and Droid 2 both seem to have gps issues. I am guessing the GPS itself is malfunctioning and not it being an issue regarding your pack. I have the Droid 2 and I can get a lock inside a house but sometimes I can't even see satalites in an open field. If you download GPS test you can get more info on why the GPS isn't locking. GPS airtime is another app that can help. The best thing I did was move to custom rom and that helped a lot.

Sent from my Droid2 using TGR Forums

I've used "map my ride" and Backcountry navigator with my Droid X with pretty good results. Every once in a while it stops recording. I keep it in my pocket on road rides and it seems to work pretty well. Also used it BC skiing with it inside the pack and it worked but sometimes cut out in dense trees or tight valleys (same thing happens to GPSs though).

I don't think that it's the programs fault usually. Most programs use a mix of GPS satellite reception and/or cell tower reception. The only difference is the way they display the info.

Otherwise, search for a bike mount for the phone. I know they make ipod mounts for bikes. Or if you are really cheap, sew a mesh pocket or clear plastic on the outside of your pack.

I use Allsport GPS with my Droid X. Its free and has never failed me. I keep it inside the top pouch of my Camelbak and have never had issues.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanthebold View Post
    The Droid x and Droid 2 both seem to have gps issues. I am guessing the GPS itself is malfunctioning and not it being an issue regarding your pack. I have the Droid 2 and I can get a lock inside a house but sometimes I can't even see satalites in an open field. If you download GPS test you can get more info on why the GPS isn't locking. GPS airtime is another app that can help. The best thing I did was move to custom rom and that helped a lot.

Sent from my Droid2 using TGR Forums

Custom rom? All I know is that GPS has always been crap on this phone. Even standing in an open field on a clear day it will take forever to find a satellite and figure out my position.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Custom rom? All I know is that GPS has always been crap on this phone. Even standing in an open field on a clear day it will take forever to find a satellite and figure out my position.
    A custom rom is essentially a different version of android you can install on your phone. If your not tech savy or don't want to fuck your phone beyond belief, I would forget about it.

You might have luck trying to return it through verizon. I've herd many of the same issues, and I currently have a phone that does this shit. Its not logical when it wants to work and when it doesn't. Most of the time it works fantastically, but I'd say 10% of the time I try to use it it wont give. Restart, pull the battery, maybe...

shrednar... It sounds like you got a good one! I wouldn't say they all have the issue, just enough for moto to avoid a recall I use backcountry navigator as well and it kicks ass. I love being able to download maps and use the GPS in airplane mode when I wouldn't be able to get service anyways.

Sounds like it's more of a phone gps issue than the software but you could try strava. I just switched to it from maymyride and am pretty happy so far. I was getting wierd and inaccurate gps readings using mapmyride and using a gps logger and uploading it seems to be working better (there's no strava app for my blackberry).
    Last edited by jamal; 03-25-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Second Strava although sometimes it doesn't follow the road perfectly. That's a big problem if you're riding on the edge of a canyon. But in general it's a good app with a cool web site for keeping track of all of your rides.

strava is pretty cool.
    Also,
    Download "GPS Status" and do the "repair" or "update" or something similar. Seems to make GPS less shitty.