Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    FKNA sweetness... really looks like an interesting trip.......put on bucket list for sure.....
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    Thanks for the comments!

Hugh - don't think Simon has done much in Japan/NZ. May be wrong though. He's based in France though although I think he did some time in Scotland back in the day.

Calikid - We did unguided although Simon acted as our guide if you see what I mean.
    I did not ski Karakol personally but my buddy stayed behind to get a couple of days there. From his texts, it sounds ok if you have the time but if (like me) you have limited annual leave from work and are relying on the goodwill of an understanding wife, probably not worth it.
    Supposedly March is the worst time for snowpack stability. We had to play it pretty safe because there were natural slides on most steep slopes. The older snow was basically faceted from top to bottom. April probably sees the pack consolidate through freeze/thaw although I expect it melts out pretty fast once it starts to warm up.
    We didn't get over to Almaty so can't help with beta on the resorts near there.
    Hope that helps
    Arno -

Thanks once again for the photos for the info. If I'm fortunate enough to make this trip happen time will be limited as well but I would like to ski in as many different locations as possible.

Really cool trip. Love stuff like this. Thanks for putting this together.

Wow! amazing stuff.

Looks amazing Ian! And very impressive that you went touring with man-flu. I'd have been sleeping in the yurt.

To be fair, I did get a day or so of sleeping in the yurt before I roused myself to go skiing... I was dosed up on drugs provided by a doctor on the trip, including an antibiotic which had the unfortunate side effect of loosening one's bowels. I was caught short during a ski tour which was a novel experience for me
    Bumped into your buddy Ptor when we arrived by the way. He had been guiding from the yurt but was headed back to spring in La Grave
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob