Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: McConkey

Pioneer and Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    just got tickets for the Oct 5th show: anyone else going?
    Quite likely. Will post when I know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Fantastic film. Tells an amazing story about an amazing guy. Download it now. Its on itunes
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Keystone is the new Snowbird

Who else made it out to Squaw for the premier? What a turn out!
    That film made me feel like like I needed to quit my office job, quit being a bitch and spend every day in the mountain.

Saw the film at last night's Seattle showing. Loved it.

Biggest revelation: McConkey's dad and Zoolander's dad are basically the same guy.

If anybody has a line on a ticket to the screening at the Palace on Monday, this idiot neglected to buy one because he thought he was going to the show at Squaw last weekend. Fail. I know. PM me, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

The movie was really well done. I suspect at any screening there won't be a dry eye in the house.

The amount of old footage was pretty amazing and really brought the whole thing together. It's one thing to have people talking about way back when, it's another when there's actual video.

Attended the Seattle premier.
    Packed house, with more familiar faces than I could shake a stick at.
    The contrast between the entire hall laughing at Shane's antics and the silence
    during which, you could have heard a pin drop in the auditorium, at one point near the end was telling.
    We lost someone special, however this film is a fitting tribute and a reminder to explore the edge of our own frontiers.

Great film!

McConkey was, and is still, my favorite ski movie character. I grew up idolizing the man and it's been good to see him as a real person on film and not just a ski movie star. The movie does an excellent job of giving us a picture of his entire life's work.

After watching that, became clear to me that Shane HAD to die the way he did. I mean, think how wrong it would be if he had a car wreck or cancer or missed a landing and ended up quadriplegic.

Like many of you, Shane has always been my inspiration for going bigger or partying harder or pushing limits further. But before this I had always assumed he lived a charmed life. This movie turned me upside down. That guy navigated some major bullshit growing up and earned everything he got and then some. Shane should be the poster child for anyone who struggles with a world that only gives a shit about a select few...fuck em, do what makes you happy. Then do it harder, faster, and naked.

Why can I only buy it on iTunes??? I don't want a 3 pack.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    Why can I only buy it on iTunes??? I don't want a 3 pack.
    First. World. Problems.

If anyone has a spare ticket (or two) for tonight's show in SF, please PM me. I'd love to go, but apparently sold out. I could pick it up on the Peninsula, east bay or at show.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Watched it friday night ATT on demand. Really great movie. Inspiring and sad. A real picture into details of his life I wasn't familiar with. Watching it with a completely unfamiliar GF was fun too. She was blown away by everything he did.

Definitely recommend to anyone

My copy showed in the mail today... a must see for anyone that "grew-up" skiing in the past 20 years. MSP did a great job showing/honoring someone as inspiring as Shane.

Njord
    "I'm looking pretty good, don't you think?" - the other says "watching you ski is like watching a retarded monkey rollerblade on a gravel road"

www.majesticheliski.com

Very inspiring. You have one life, live it
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

What an epic tale with the most tragic of endings.

The historical footage and perspective is awesome and put together so well.

Gentlemen,

You've made a fitting tribute to one of our heros.

Thank you.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

MSI and Red Bull Media hit a homerun with this one. The Jackson, WY premiere last night was incredible! "His biggest fear was getting a 9-5 job" so awesome...

Hard to believe it's been 10 years.
    Rage on Shane.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Legend. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    He was my hero.

RIP

I'll never forget the day I got a poster tube in the mail from Shane, and it was loaded with a signed poster and a bunch of other cool stuff. Volant Machete era, summer of 2000. Poster is up in my kid's room now.

That summer I had tagged along with my dad at masters race camp in Mount Hood and spent alot of time with Shane's mom, Glen. She was awesome, and I think the "no way, you're Shane McConkey's mom!," gave away my admiration for Shane. Never asked for anything from him, but later in the summer all the stuff just showed up one day. Class act. RIP and love to his family.

I will never forget my one encounter with him. It was mid-May in 2002, I lived in Tahoe at the time. Squaw had reduced their operations to just a few lifts, with Granite being the only one with good terrain. Like usual, I hiked Direct Chute on Granite Peak 4-5 times, then made slush turns down Corkscrew for a few laps when it softened up. Then I took Shirley up and hiked up the Palisades. It was a long hike from Shirley, I was going to hit Tube Chute, bank skier's right and use reverse traverse to access the Light Towers, ski down and hike out the bottom. I had been doing that regularly at that time.

When I was about halfway to the top of the Palisades I looked back and noticed another skier making the hike. He was a ways back from me. I kept looking back at him and noticed he was absolutely flying. He was hiking FAR faster than any human I had ever seen, and I was hiking Granite 4-5 times a day at that point so I thought I was in pretty good shape. I got to the top and relaxed for a bit. When he got there my jaw dropped, it was Shane McConkey, my greatest skiing hero. He had his chute and was going to ski base the Palisades on stealth, no one was aware. He was super cool and friendly, he just asked that I be a bit quiet about this. I dropped the Tube and hooked left to go to the Light Towers. I waited for a bit, but then decided I did not want to do anything to draw attention to what he was doing. I skied the Light Towers down and hiked out the bottom, still starstruck over seeing my hero. It was one of the most amazing moments from my time in Tahoe, and I will never forget it.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Giants have walked amoung us.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    He was my hero.

RIP
    X2

It broke my heart that day, to return home from skiing birthday pow only to learn of his passing.
    RIP Shane, and thank you for your influence.
    Last edited by ACH; 03-26-2019 at 04:10 PM.