View Poll Results: Drilling and mounting bindings on bench, vise or other?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bench

13 54.17%
  • Vise

2 8.33%
  • Other

9 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Poll: Bench or vise mount bindings?

Do you layout, drill and mount your bindings with the skis on a bench, vise or something else? Why? What do you use to protect the bases if on a bench or other surface?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

I use a vise because I can put a pair on at once, access all around the ski, the height is better and the bases are inherently protected. With access all around, I can use a wider variety of tools and techniques to establish center line measurements and also keep tools handy under the skis:

Name:  DSC05768.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  124.9 KB
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Just mounted 2 pairs on a bench topped with a clean sheet of cardboard. Why, it's what I got and it seems easy enough.

I use a couple of low bar-stools with seats covered with epoxy and ski wax (incidental). They are not hard enough to damage the ski bases, and I can get around them and over them easily. I call it a bench. When I need to clamp them down I pad with rags or thick paper. Also small enough that I can't put anything else on them so I don't have to worry about stray tools etc as you might on a work bench.

Bench and drill press if I have a a choice. Otherwise, whatever is handy. In the shop, I put a strip of old carpet on the bench and use a C-clamp or 2 with a piece of wood to protect the top sheet to hold the ski down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My%u00252520ski%2520shop.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	112856

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	112858
    Last edited by wooley12; 03-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

For layout and mounting I use what's basically a tall sawhorse that I put together with 2x6 and put down climbing skin scraps for padding/protection (<-work great). Spring clamps to secure. I use a drill press with ski bits (3.5 & 4.1) for drilling.

Kind of ghetto but I've probably done 15 pairs this winter, and I'm going to do another set as soon as I'm done typing this.

I do it on the floor, because I have a floor.

I use a bench with skis clipped flat to it with those heavy-duty spring loaded clips, then i clip on the template and measure 10 times before I punch and drill anything.
    Before big games I shoot Rabies, it gives me the edge I need and it’s undetectable. Only idiot losers do steroids anymore...

For those who commented and didn't poll and those who polled and didn't comment, please do so. Good input so far. Thanks!
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i use a vice mounted on a bench
    and unicorn fur to protect my bases
    before i go ski on snow covered rocks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Because you just can't be too careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I use a bench & two clamps with a teacloth on the bench where the clamps go. I remove my vise in order to access the bench as I don't find it stable enough. Paper templates are taped onto the skis.

The home-made wooden blocks shown below, but placed about 3ft apart. Ski positioned so that the spot I'm drilling is directly over one of the blocks. They don't move, it works. I wouldn't drill a ski placed directly on a bench; the ski will flex as you press down on it.

Kitchen counter seems to be working for me so far. Not ideal but it's what I have. I'm not really worried about bases. Is there something I'm missing with that?

I just brush off the bench and put the skis right down on the plywood. I tape templates to the ski for marking and use a drill press to drill. Same whether screwing directly into ski or installing inserts. I've never noticed any damage to my bases but then, I'm not on the WC downhill circuit, either.

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Kitchen counter seems to be working for me so far. Not ideal but it's what I have. I'm not really worried about bases. Is there something I'm missing with that?
    You need to spend, like, way more time thinking about base structure!

How do you even ski? You could totally be going 2-3% faster!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	struktur.gif 
Views:	36 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	112932  

Hah!! You brought back a memory. Every year at the beginning of the season we would drag our skis to the hill, base down, on the bare street to clear off the old wax, dirt, dust and to clean the rust from the edges. DIY base structuring.

Name:	LathamSki.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	112935
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Kitchen table for me.

Dining room table, usually with a sheet of cardboard on it.
    Bench and vises are out in the unheated workshop and I ain't standing out there for as long as it takes me to mount skis when I've got a nice long, clean, flat table inside.

And if you're worried about base structure from crap on your bench how do you actually get around to skiing?
    Must be so fricken nerve wracking like you might possible hit a tree or a rock or heaven forbid an icy patch that'll hurt those precious bases.

The ski is too bouncy in the vise. I like the stability of my benchtop when drilling. I think this whole base structure drama is for all you closet Epicski fags.
    More cowbell!!!

Whatever method you use, just don't let the ski flex when drilling!
    I love my Vermont Torque Testing bench. It allows the skis to be secured in their natural camber for drilling.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

By placing the vise supports under the binding locations, the camber is retained for solid drilling and mounting.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-tools/WM225.aspx

BD shopmate is really good for me cuz I can use it freestanding anywhere and I have used it in 3 houses including a rental ,it also folds up and hangs on the wall but right now its cold out so I bring it inside, I can sit down with my legs under the unit and work on laying out the ski or it will hold a big ski or XC wax form for waxing, I protect the nice floor in a bedroom with a 7$ sheet of OSB

in summer i bolt a Park proffesional grade bike vise to the deck and it goes out in an unheated shop, it will hold a DH bike and you got somewhere to hold tools and parts

since its a bench/vise I voted other

I clamp skis directly to the bench as I don't trust the stability of my vice enough to drill on it. I don't really worry about the bases, but I suppose if I did I would just layer on a thick coat of cheap wax first?

The thing this discussion really has me wondering about is the flex issue... generally when I clamp the skis down I'm virtually decambering them, making the bases sit flat on the surface of the bench before I drill, but it sounds like this is a bad idea. Why?
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 03-26-2012 at 02:36 PM.