Spinning Rod Question

So my parents bought a condo in Vero Beach between the Indian River Lagoon and the Atlantic Ocean. This is fishing central. I recently visited and while there I got my Dad re-hooked on fishing. He's wanting to get a new spinning set up and I'm totally retarded on that stuff. I was using a 9wt fly rod which seamed about perfect. We were catching sea trout, lady fish, popanno, jacks...pretty much the whole aquarium. Average fish seemed about 3 lbs. Obviously, a quiver of rods is the best but what would be the spinning equal to an 8/9 wt.?

He was looking at this as he has a coupon. http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shim...00070mh2s.html

What say you?

Thanks

He'll replace that setup after his first nice fish.
    As retarted as it $ound$, look at this-
    http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shim...ing-reels.html

or at the least, the Spheros- which is 3 ball bearings, but actually built for saltwater abuse.

paired with this-
    http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/tidemaster-inshore

Go for the 7'6" or 8' 10-20.

Pair all that with Dark Power Pro 20 lb, and a really good pair of line cutters, and he'll never miss a fish, break a rod, or blow up a reel again. This is a lifetime setup.

That first one would be similar to foam filled beginner skis. I would gear up my boat with that setup, cause it is cheap, and I wouldn't care if it got broken.

Also look at Redbone Rods. Probably my favorite cheap rod.
    http://www.redbone.org/hurricane-spinningrods.htm

you can find these in any shop in FL. 8-17 7'6" is money.
    Spend on the reel- almost the exact opposite of Fly Fishing out West.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    He'll replace that setup after his first nice fish.
    As retarted as it $ound$, look at this-
    http://shimano.fishing-store.us/shim...ing-reels.html

or at the least, the Spheros- which is 3 ball bearings, but actually built for saltwater abuse.

paired with this-
    http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/tidemaster-inshore

Go for the 7'6" or 8' 10-20.

Pair all that with Dark Power Pro 20 lb, and a really good pair of line cutters, and he'll never miss a fish, break a rod, or blow up a reel again. This is a lifetime setup.

http://www.redbone.org/hurricane-spinningrods.htm

you can find these in any shop in FL. 8-17 7'6" is money.
    Spend on the reel- almost the exact opposite of Fly Fishing out West.
    I have 2 of these exact set-ups, great all around saltwater rods.

Thanks for the info. That Redbone site in how I remember spinning sets ups...what # test and what weight lure?

Warthog...yes starter rods for the boat. Better shit for personal use. My Dad's taking his Whaler down so I think I'll be fishing in FLA a whole lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagamoron View Post
    I have 2 of these exact set-ups, great all around saltwater rods.
    Which one- the St Croix with the Stradic or the Redbone?

I have an old wood handle Stradic. Hands down my favorite reel. It is on the last surviving non Korean 8' Crowder that I own.

I have an unnatural love for my St Croix.
    It is an 8' 17-40 Heavy Action

paired with this beauty in the 5000-

My go to Bass or Trout rod is the 7'6" Redbone.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Thanks for the info. That Redbone site in how I remember spinning sets ups...what # test and what weight lure?

Warthog...yes starter rods for the boat. Better shit for personal use. My Dad's taking his Whaler down so I think I'll be fishing in FLA a whole lot more.
    What size Whaler? I had a 13 down here for years, but brought it back up to Moodus, CT for the kids to use in the summer.

Indian River is a sick place to fish. The Snook are monsters down there. Consider at least a 10-20 rod.
    There are 3 keys to catching Snook, at least over here.

1. Power Pro or any good braided line. Don't use mono. Snook are smart enough to find the nearest structure and break you off pronto.

2. Flouro leader( I like Sea Gar)- 20 lb should be fine, but have all sizes up to 40 lb in your bag, just in case you see a monster near some docks. Anything over 40 (and most of the time- even the 40) will be too visible to them. They will not bite a line they can see.

3. Leave the triangle weights in New England. I love fishing out on the piers over here. We catch fish after fish, and the gapers with their surf rods don't even get a nibble. They almost always have way too much weight on there. Snook and Redfish are really smart, and they are hunted year round in these areas. They hear those weights hit, and won't go near.

Get a good selection of split shots. All you need is enough to get the bait down to the bottom. Put the split at the top of the know between you Power Pro and your flouro.
    Use live shrimp, and let the weight hit bottom, then pick it up gently- over and over. The Power Pro really lets you feel the bottom. You will feel something like you snagged bottom- pull up HARD. Hold on. 1st Snook, you will be done.

I smell a FL mini in the making. Frizzo- you reading this?

Steven St. Croix's.
    Don't see much redbone up in these parts

Get a good selection of split shots. All you need is enough to get the bait down to the bottom. Put the split at the top of the know between you Power Pro and your flouro.
    Use live shrimp, and let the weight hit bottom, then pick it up gently- over and over. The Power Pro really lets you feel the bottom. You will feel something like you snagged bottom- pull up HARD. Hold on. 1st Snook, you will be done.

Wow intersting information thnx all those gays who response here and give some sugagations

Spinning Combo

I wouldn't get caught up on quality if you're just getting started and you want to catch whatever's biting on the lake.
    A few light bobbers, a pack of bright-colored jigheads (mall ones for the panfish, bigger ones for bass, walleye, etc, and a dozen crawlers. Pinch your crawlers in half and use a bobber for the panfish. String a whole crawler on the bigger jigheads and reel them in nice and slow when going for the bass, don't need the bobber.
    Last edited by me8507; 11-20-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: full comment