Angry Smith I/O Sensor Lens Fogging Issues?

Nothing worse than interrupting a powder day to go all the way back to your car to change out your goggle lenses because you can't see a damn thing, but that's what I had to resort to yesterday. I had my Smith I/O goggles up on my helmet and didn't put them over my eyes until I was riding the first lift. So the Sensor lens (yellow-ish and for low visibility days, not the ignitor mirror) was fogged up before I put them on, I guess. Not the normal type of breath condensation fogging that you can just wipe off (which never happens with these), this was between the two layers of the lens and I couldn't get rid of it.

At one point I went into the lodge and they de-fogged after several minutes, but promptly after my return to the mountain they fogged up again. Is there moisture trapped between the lens layers and they're pretty much screwed now or what? Anyone else have this happen? This was on Sunday and it should be noted that Wednesday I was completely soaked by rain at Squaw, so they got pretty wet.

Pictures from my helmet cam...

Yep, that's why I bought the turbofan.
    Goggles $150
    lift $60
    Seeing on pow day, priceless
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I've used this lens on other powder/storm days this season and not had this problem. That's why I mentioned the really wet day at Squaw previous to this - wondering if that's what caused it and if so, does that mean these lenses are not water/rain proof then?

dud you dry the lens out the night before? or store them somewhere damp?

dry them out, and see if it happens again

Did you dry them thoroughly after last use? I hang mine from my rearview mirror with the defrost on when I drive home. If I don't all my goggles seem to fog.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Yes, they were definitely dried out from Wednesday night until Sunday morning.

Maybe you were just unusually warm and moist. Fogging is when water vapor is chilled, yes? Therefore you provide heat, and the water vapor is caused from a combination of perspiration, water from the snow, moisture within the foam on your lenses, and ambient humidity. Obviously one level was higher than normal.

If it's fogging between the lenses, contact smith. Moisture isn't supposed to be able to get in. Either the lenses are coming apart, the little moisture trap thing failed, or you cracked them somewhere. Smith will likely warranty in at least two of those cases.

doughboyshredder Guest
    The comedy it's almost too much to bear

Sent from my PantechP8000 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yes, they were definitely dried out from Wednesday night until Sunday morning.
    Nah, it's quite obvious that they were definitely not dried out after Wednesday night.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 03-19-2012 at 07:15 PM.

I suck that little circle thing on the lens.

::funny joke inserted here::

The foam that separates the two lenses is not completely waterproof; water can get in and out (it might take a while to evaporate, but your lenses are not hosed). I suspect the I/O might be more susceptible to this due to the outboard lens placement. I like to get the cheapest decent Smith (currently using Stance/Fuse) and keep one or two extra pair in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Chowda View Post
    If it's fogging between the lenses, contact smith. Moisture isn't supposed to be able to get in. Either the lenses are coming apart, the little moisture trap thing failed, or you cracked them somewhere. Smith will likely warranty in at least two of those cases.
    This. I had IO goggles, and I treat my goggles correctly but had inter-lens fogging.

Smith said it was a seal defect, sent me new lens, zero issues since then. 100+ days.

Whoever posted about turbofan goggles has no concept of what's going on here.

Call Smith, solve your problem in 5 mins, get on with life.

To clear up some earlier posts, there is no foam between the lenses of these goggles it's a sealant. This moisture actually develops between the lenses and takes a good while to go away. I have had this happen twice to me. Both times it was at Whistler (multi day trips) and both times I had not properly dried the goggles out overnight. I left the goggle in the case or in my backpack. I also did not pull them out until I was up the gondola. The worst part is both days they were fogged were bluebird days (a rare thing). The last time it was a small enough portion of fog between the lenses that I skied with them until they cleared up after a 1/2 day. The first time it was with my Phenoms and I just bought the cheapest goggle they had in the lodge on Whistler. Oddly enough, those never fog up ($40).

I was being serious about sucking the airport hole on the lense.

Been around the block with the IO's and this has always worked for me and everyone else I tell.

I dried out the goggles, but it sounds like my mistake (after talking to Smith) was not actually removing the entire lens from the frame as well, so there's a chance that some moisture remained trapped at the edges of the lens. Anyway, thanks for the feedback - never thought I'd post on here about goggle fogging like it's 1995.

@Ajax - I'll keep that one in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    dud you dry the lens out the night before? or store them somewhere damp?

dry them out, and see if it happens again
    ding ding. this is probably your issue.

i made this mistake once earlier this season and forgot to take them out of my ski bag, where they stayed all night, presumably damp. the gogs fogged up almost immediately the next morning and were a pain all day.

when i'm done each day, i routinely putem directly in their bag, and attach them (along w my gloves) to my helmet chinstrap and hang the helmet etc to dry each night. fogging has not happened once since then.

Definite Fix! - Suck the port on the outer lens

If after examining the seal between the lens everything looks in tact, then I can assure you that sucking on the tiny circular port (in the upper corner of the outer lens), will fix any fogging issue you have with I/O or I/OS lens

I figured it out over the last 6 years... they sent me new ones.

just pee on the lens.