Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Hallelujah I can walk!

No more fucking crutches; five weeks is a long time.
    Supposed to stay in a boot until week's end.
    Then no more walking aids.

Very nice! Crutches suck big time. I was so happy when I was cleared to walk without them. Congrats!

Good work Pfluf.
    Pullin for a speedy rehab

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Hallelujah I can walk!

No more fucking crutches; five weeks is a long time.
    Supposed to stay in a boot until week's end.
    Then no more walking aids.
    Awesome man!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Very nice! Crutches suck big time. I was so happy when I was cleared to walk without them. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Good work Pfluf.
    Pullin for a speedy rehab
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Awesome man!!
    Thanks guys!
    I just got done picking up marbles with my toes and moving them from one pile to another.
    Surprising how much one can sweat from moving something so small and light.

"Good" to hear others are in the same boat as me.

I'm on my second fully ruptured Achilles tendon, both suffered in ski crashes.

The first, five years ago, happened on my first run of the day at Alyeska, late February. The upper mountain had been closed for a couple of days due to high winds and a storm and I was on the third chair on 6 to the top stoked to ski the 14"+ of 32* mank. The chair was on hold and we dangled a few hundred yards from the top for 20 minutes or so getting cold, the light and visibility was shit as is often the case at Alyeska.

I was on the chair with a cute chick I knew from grad school and considered skiing with her, but I was too jonesy for the untracked goods and did not want to waste the freshies waiting around for her.
    (This decision will always haunt me...)

I was skiing my beloved 195 Line Motherships with Dukes (this was my touring rig for a couple of years...) and in the flat light started cruising mellow turns over to Prospector when out of nowhere I was flying in the air off of 10-15' wind berm.
    -the heavy winds, 80+mph, had resculpted this area of the mountain dramatically, I had never skied it like this before and could not see that it was different as the light was as flat as my 7th grade girlfriend.

I had no idea what was happening until both of my tips penetrated straight down into the heavy "pow" nearly to the bindings. There was no twisting, only a straight vertical heel release, which actually occurred horizontally. My legs and body were stretching to the MAX when finally my bindings released. Both of my calves felt shredded and I was not sure what had happened.

I've skied my entire life and had never been in a Patrol sled and never wanted to be, so I decided that if I could get my skis back on I would ski down to my truck.
    Well, this was a mistake... It took me well over an hour to get to my truck with teeth clenched hard and tears streaming from my eyes behind my goggles, once there I could get my left foot out of my boot, Tecnica Cochise, but I could not get my right foot out without help.

So, I hobbled up to the the Patrol shack and asked for help. Three patrollers helped pry my boot open, then I grabbed my leg just above the knee and yanked my foot out.
    I learned then and there that I had never screamed before in my life, as I SCREAMED for real!
    Whoa Nelly that hurt!
    -I was embarrassed and apologized for screaming like a hyena in heat.

They did a test on my Achilles and I had some flexion still (only about 1cm) so I thought maybe I had just torn my calf muscles and had a high ankle sprain.
    *This was another major mistake that haunts me...

Then I gimped back to my truck and drove my manual Tacoma home, this is exceedingly difficult with two torn calves and a fully ruptured Achilles.
    I went home and did not go to the doctor, hoping it would heal up on its own.
    I medicated with what I had available, but was essentially trapped in my home.
    As an unemployed Grad student and did not know if I had any coverage. (I later learned that I had Medicaid or care, it covered everything with zero out of pocket expense. Thanks Obama...).

After 3 weeks nothing was getting better and my Achilles felt like OJ Simpson was sawing on it with the the little saw tool on a Swiss Army Knife, it felt like this 24 hours a day...

When I finally went to the doc he freaked out and scheduled me for surgery the next day.
    It was brutal and I was in that asshole cast for nearly 10 weeks.
    When I was freed from that hell I quickly realized that all of my leg muscles had atrophied severely.

I went to PT 5 times a week for months. It was a good rehab, although my achilles and calf have never really healed that well, I have probably lost 30% on the right leg, the calf specifically.
    -I believe this is because I waited so long, too long, and then they really had to root around inside my leg during surgery.

It took me until my second season back to be up to speed and charging around again.
    -I had completely blocked my Achilles out of my mind and I no longer thought about it while skiing.

My five year old Achilles scar, fucking hamburger...bugs me every single day.

Lesson learned, or so I thought...I lowered my DINs a notch and got back to it!

This year, May 1st, I was taking a friend, first run again..., down Christmas Chute at Alyeska. It is pretty dope and steep if you don't know. It had snowed about 7 inches over some refried pock marked chunder (I was not completely aware of how shitty the conditions actually were until I said, "follow me".

Christmas Chute (a couple weeks before the accident). I fell about 100' below this. There were heavy moguls that day.

Uh oh this snow was absolute shit and I was skiing too fast for it. BOOM! my brand new 194 Moment Commander 108's with Pivot 15's missiled straight into a hoary mogul and the tips stuck in place. I flipped over once and my both of my ski tails speared the snow all the way to the heel binding. As my momentum carried me for another flip I could feel that my tails were stuck fast into the snow, as my body folded over in slow motion I thought to myself, "well, something in my body is about to break, Shit..."

I wear two knee braces everyday skiing, so I didn't think it was going to be my knees, ...and POP! I absolutely heard the Achiiles in my left leg snap...

I self arrested, both skis still on at this point and called up to my buddy that I was hurt and had most likely ruptured my left Achilles this time.
    He hiked down, as it is very steep and helped me get out of skis, as I could not do it without taking a big slide.
    I slowly hiked out about 150' vertical and then hobbled over to the Patrol shack at the top of 6, still hoping that the POP I heard didn't really come from inside of me, maybe it was just that old ass piece of survival pepperoni I keep in my jacket pocket for emergencies snapping in two.

This time I accepted that I was hurt badly and took the long ride in the patrol sled down the hill, enjoying faceshots the whole way, but knowing that this was probably it for my season...
    He took me to my truck and I could get both of my boots off on my own (now in 3 piece Dalbello Lupos), Thank Jobu!

I proceeded to drive directly to my surgeons office and had surgery scheduled for two days later.

This time I demanded NO FUCKING CAST!
    Instead I bought the VacOped Achilles boot, it has made such a difference!!!
    and I fully recommend it to anyone who wants the best option to heal.
    -I have had very little muscle atrophy this time around.

Post op, out of the surgical boot

Today, pretty swollen from being on it all day. I still have quite a bit of neuropathy, it is more uncomfortable than the Achilles itself. I know that this will subside in time and I just have to be patient.

Less than 10 weeks post surgery and I am out of the boot completely and wearing a normal shoe.
    I cannot wait to start PT, next Thursday, and truly feel that my recovery is going so much better than the last time.
    But I am going to be careful and try hard to not ride my dirt bike this Summer, (I am not sure if this will be possible, but I will try not to). I will definitely not be on my downhill MTB for certain, way too many offs.

An earlier successful descent of Christmas Chute.

I hope my tale of woe can help other brothers through this shit.
    You will be back on the slopes!
    Fuck those advice givers with their, "too old", "too fast", "too dangerous" bullshit. Live by your own rules, they are just jealous that we are younger than our years let on.

I will be back on skis next season, skiing fast and taking chances!
    It is all I know how to do
    -however, I may do a bit more stretching than I have in the past, and I will try my best to never be in a patrol sled again, but if I am I hope I get some faceshots!
    Last edited by DeathVan; 05-19-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Damn Deathvan, sorry to hear that.
    Nice narrative and pics though; brutal Frankenstein scar.

And agreed:

Fuck those naysaying self perceived alpha male couch captains!

Good goddamn, that is a helluva story DV.

Pocket meats...heh.

I'm approaching old, been going too fast since second grade on the go kart and I like my wimmenz kinda dangerous...I support age, speed and danger fully.

You ever know a tram mechanic at Alyeska named Denny? Moved there from JH...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pfluff acting like picking up his marbles is some new activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Pocket meats...heh.

I'm approaching old, been going too fast since second grade on the go kart and I like my wimmenz kinda dangerous...I support age, speed and danger fully.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Pfluff acting like picking up his marbles is some new activity.

LOL!
    Cleaning my screen.

Wow DV, what a read. Tearing my other achilles is a big fear of mine now.
    Those incisions are gnarly! I’d be pissed at whoever sewed me up. All that scar tissue will cause you issues for life.

Holy shit, bro! And that chute looks so good! Heal up, best wishes for a full recovery.

Damn DV!
    Re: neuropathy…are you getting nerve pain, like getting stabbed by a thousand sewing needles? If so, get a scrip for Gabapentin - makes all kinds of difference.

Heal up mang.

Damn DV!
    Re: neuropathy…are you getting nerve pain, like getting stabbed by a thousand sewing needles? If so, get a scrip for Gabapentin - makes all kinds of difference.

Heal up mang.
    X2 on gabapentin. only thing that has truly worked for me for nerve pain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

My buddy blew his Achilles same week as I blew my ACL but he healed up fast enough to bike tour 800 miles to whitehorse last summer, he managed to ski > 100 days a lot of it was up hill, he would ride by on his bike with all his touring gear wearing ski boots and tour up for a day of skiing... achilles is much easyier than an ACL from what I could see
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    My buddy blew his Achilles same week as I blew my ACL but he healed up fast enough to bike tour 800 miles to whitehorse last summer, he managed to ski > 100 days a lot of it was up hill, he would ride by on his bike with all his touring gear wearing ski boots and tour up for a day of skiing... achilles is much easyier than an ACL from what I could see
    So far recovery from a ruptured Achilles is much easier than from a ACL reconstruction.
    I was ACL class of 2015.
    Granted I'm only five weeks post-op for my Achilles and in my first week of PT.

Anyone else get percutaneous surgery for their Achilles?

Damn Deathvan, sorry to hear that.
    Nice narrative and pics though; brutal Frankenstein scar.

And agreed:

Fuck those naysaying self perceived alpha male couch captains!
    Thanks pFluff.
    Right back at you!
    Skiing is probably the only activity where I can completely lose the limitations of my compromised tendon(s).
    A new liner baked to accommodate the surgically enhanced heel bulge (speed bump), lock in tight with a performance fit, and forget about it.

Chicks dig scars, right?
    -but not limping...

Luckily I have now brought equilibrium to my limp game.
    When you limp on both legs it looks like a cool gangsta roll!
    -Can a middle-aged white guy be a G?

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

Pocket meats...heh.

I am right there with you Djongo!

Quick Pocket Meat tale:
    I loaned an old ski jacket to a buddy that was going on a trip to Whistler a couple years ago.
    He is a straight lacer and was very concerned about the "possible dooby" that was discovered in the front pocket at Canadian customs.
    -It was a ~10 year old 2 inch desiccated remnant of a pepperoni stick, Ha!

I will always be rocking Pocket Meats!
    -currently have pockets stocked with Alaska Sausage and Seafood Hunter Sticks, the Best!

I'm pretty sure I know the Denny you mean, good guy.
    Alyeska is a small friendly world.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Wow DV, what a read. Tearing my other achilles is a big fear of mine now.
    Those incisions are gnarly! I’d be pissed at whoever sewed me up. All that scar tissue will cause you issues for life.
    Do Not Be Afraid!
    I have found that worrying puts me at greater risk than just getting after it like I know I can do.
    Have faith in your abilities and let your body flow without letting your mind get in the way.

With this in mind, after my first surgery I thought that I should/could probably slow down a bit.
    So, I picked up the Line Sakana and the Line Pescado.
    These skis have a speed limit and perform best at more moderate speeds, or at least you can fully utilize their fun characteristics at lower speeds, and don't need to be hauling donkey ass to bring out their best, like the Line Motherships, Blizzard Bodacious, or Blizzard Quattro Rx that I regularly ski.

Having said this I ended up skiing full tilt boogie about half way through my first season back and wishing for a Sakana with metal, it is one helluva fun ski!
    I did get the Line Blade in an early release two seasons ago, what an absolute Blast that ski is!
    I have skied it a lot, but it is not damp enough for beer league races and the megafat tips can act weird in cut up snow and bumps, otherwise it is a Ted Ligety hip-dragging machine!

This season I said Fuck It! and went back to my metal skis full time, picking up a pair of the reissue OG 196 Bodacious in black along with the new 194 Moment Commander.
    Both Excellent!

-Wish You Were Here (limited edition).

I figure next season I will start out on the softer rides again and then work up to my preferred metal endowed tools.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Holy shit, bro! And that chute looks so good! Heal up, best wishes for a full recovery.
    Thank you Splat!
    I will absolutely head straight back to that Chute when it opens next year and redeem myself.

Alyeska has terrain that can be better than a heli day when the conditions are right.

Damn DV!

Heal up mang.
    I appreciate it and am getting better every single day.
    My issue is mainly with impeded blood flow and numbness (midfoot exterior up through the heel and up the scar to the calf, I do get the stabbing tinglies but kind of like that feeling when I am rubbing on it.
    -That is the feeling of healing!

In fact when people ask me about my injury I let them know that I am not injured, I am healing.
    -this reframing helps me keep my mind focused on what I am/will be capable of, not what I have lost in the short term.
    I do not care if this is a psychological trick, it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    That's cool to hear XXX!
    -I've done that ride on my motorcycle a few times (full AlCan), those roadie folks are true steel.
    I hope you and your buddy are shredding again soon.
    Fingers crossed that my knees stay together in my braces. I refuse to get an MRI on my knees as I am 100% positive it would lead to a surgical recommendation.

Pain is only in the mind, right?
    Strap 'em up tight and rip!
    Last edited by DeathVan; 05-23-2021 at 12:33 AM.

I drove my manual transmission WRX today for the first time in two months!
    Even a couple of rev matches and a heel- toe.

Hurray!

Got smoked today in an impromptu race down the driveway with three year old nephew.

Pretty damn sore.
    In my defense, I'm not cleared to run for another two months.

How you feeling DV?

I joined the Achilles tear club 6 weeks ago playing soccer. Had surgery a week later so I'm now 5 weeks post surgery. Cast came off last week and I'm in a boot but no weight on it at the moment. Start PT on Wednesday.

The goal is to be skiing and playing soccer again by the end of the year. Not sure how achievable this is but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darra View Post
    I joined the Achilles tear club 6 weeks ago playing soccer. Had surgery a week later so I'm now 5 weeks post surgery. Cast came off last week and I'm in a boot but no weight on it at the moment. Start PT on Wednesday.

The goal is to be skiing and playing soccer again by the end of the year. Not sure how achievable this is but I'm going to give it my best shot.
    You should be good.
    Sounds like the targets are jogging at four months, running/cutting movements at six.

Did you get percutaneous surgery or open wound?
    I was in a splint for just two weeks post-op and then into a boot for two more (was still no weight bearing though).
    Weight bearing in the boot at week five; weight bearing in normal shoes at week six.
    I think I got lucky that my rupture was low down in the tendon which (may?) help make percutaneous a viable option.

I just haven't talked to anyone yet who has it other than myself.

You should be good.
    Sounds like the targets are jogging at four months, running/cutting movements at six.

I was in a splint for just two weeks post-op and then into a boot for two more (was still no weight bearing though).
    Weight bearing in the boot at week five; weight bearing in normal shoes at week six.
    I think I got lucky that my rupture was low down in the tendon which (may?) help make percutaneous a viable option.

My surgery was open wound, not sure if percutaneous was an option as it was never mentioned.

I was in a splint for 10 days post-surgery then into a cast for 3 weeks before moving to the boot last week with a couple of wedges to keep my foot angled. One wedge is to come out each week so that my foot is neutral by next week and I should be able to then start putting weight on it with the boot - which will be 6 weeks from surgery.

The plan is to then transition to weight bearing with no boot or crutches at week 8.

Got smoked today in an impromptu race down the driveway with three year old nephew.

Pretty damn sore.
    In my defense, I'm not cleared to run for another two months.

How you feeling DV?
    There are some speedy quick 3 year olds out there, no shame.

I am enjoying the Myofascial Release torture at PT and have crafted my own Gua Sha scraping tools for home entertainment purposes.
    It has decreased the nagging irritation in the swollen and numb areas and I am getting more overall flexion.
    -The PT was surprised that I had so much movement already and that my calf is really engaging, Good News!

I am probably over doing things with playing frolf everyday (with a crossover step drive), as I swell up and my ankle feels like it has a 5lb lead sheath strapped to it, but that's why there are frozen gel packs and compression socks.
    Gotta Move!

What percent of Achilles was ruptured?
    Mine have both been full rupture, 100%

This is the Percutaneous stitching technique.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	achilles-percutaneous-repair-0.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	376315
    https://www.stoneclinic.com/achilles-tendon

I was split open both times but I am not sure which stitching pattern was used.
    -no option for your less invasive procedure, hmm...
    What I do know is that the repaired tendon did not rerupture in this last crash and it faced the same eccentric tendon forces as the one that did.

I have one of these, I will need to ask about which one.
    -I believe it is the middle
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  10.8 KB

coronal running horizontal suture repair;
    consider a simple running horizontal matress stitch made in the coronal plane (medial to lateral) so that none of the sutures face the surgical incision;
    in the case of wound break down, the core suture will not be exposed lessening the chance of infection;
    Krachow whip stitch, along each tendon edge, using No 5 Tycron or Ethibond on a Non Cutting Needle;
    running "Tajima stitch" which provides good strength but does not create the overlying prominent sutures;
    Becker suture technique:
    Singer et al (1998), the core suture technique was the most important element in establishing both strength and stiffness of the repair;
    repair consists of criss-crossing running suture using a double armed needle;
    https://www.wheelessonline.com/muscl...endon-rupture/

I am putting a new starter on my big bike and will be ripping around on it in a couple days!
    Can't get hurt on a motorcycle, right?

Interesting to hear the comparison in achilles vs. knee surgeries.

Keep healing!
    Last edited by DeathVan; 06-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

I have one of these, I will need to ask about which one.
    -I believe it is the middle
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  10.8 KB

coronal running horizontal suture repair;
    consider a simple running horizontal matress stitch made in the coronal plane (medial to lateral) so that none of the sutures face the surgical incision;
    in the case of wound break down, the core suture will not be exposed lessening the chance of infection;
    Krachow whip stitch, along each tendon edge, using No 5 Tycron or Ethibond on a Non Cutting Needle;
    running "Tajima stitch" which provides good strength but does not create the overlying prominent sutures;
    Becker suture technique:
    Singer et al (1998), the core suture technique was the most important element in establishing both strength and stiffness of the repair;
    repair consists of criss-crossing running suture using a double armed needle;
    https://www.wheelessonline.com/muscl...endon-rupture/

I am putting a new starter on my big bike and will be ripping around on it in a couple days!
    Can't get hurt on a motorcycle, right?

Interesting to hear the comparison in achilles vs. knee surgeries.

Keep healing!
    The description and quick drawing that my surgeon gave me looks pretty similar to the middle diagram. I also had a full rupture, or "a proper rupture" as the surgeon described it.

I lost a ski in December at Monarch.
    It never turned up.
    Two days ago I went back and hiked up about a 1000' vertical and back to look for it.
    Slow and methodical with trekking poles.
    Make your own switchback + minor bushwhack.
    No ski but it was a psychological win; first big outdoor day in 12 weeks!

Vibes for the lost ski but it's awesome that you were able to get out there and bushwhack around the mountain!