Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Cheers
    watch out for snakes

Alright. Super shitty situation.

I’m supposed to lead a celebration of life service for a kid I mentored who took his life a month or two ago. The ask is 20-30 minutes of speaking about the kids life. Which on face value has been gut wrenching.

I have since proceeded to tear my Achilles last Friday. Trying to get in for surgery this week.

What’s the soonest you can imagine public speaking for that duration post surgery? I know there might be complications… I won’t be able to stand and etc. It’s also a six hour drive, which has me worried.

Can anyone who’s had the surgery comment on the first 4-8 days post surgery?

No way could I be in a car that soon out of surgery, the swelling would be to much to bear. Hell I missed a Tool concert two months after surgery. Bummer about the injury. Wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

4-8 days.
    Not me.
    Maybe you, but I doubt it.

Your biggest accomplishment in this time period is likely going to be make it to the bathroom.
    And then a shower (get a walker, turn around backwards to use as a standing/leaning cradle).

That’s good info and kinda confirms what I’ve been worried about here.

Yeah, as someone who's been there you're probably gonna either have to get a wheelchair and fly there (in first class, because that's the only seat that will accommodate you) or, more realistically, as shitty as it is, sit this one out.

You will definitely not be weight-bearing on that leg 4-8 days post surgery, so at a minimum you'll be on crutches and for something like this, you'll need to be in a wheelchair. You'll also very likely still be on pain-killers (or in horrible pain) 4-8 days after the repair, so ask yourself, 'Do I want to give a 20-30 minute eulogy while high on pain-killers and sitting in a wheelchair, after dangerously traveling for 6 hours there and then 6 hours back?' People would certainly credit you for your 'testicular fortitude' in getting there and powering through, but I think there is a very strong case to be made that you should very much NOT do this.

For the record, I was told by my surgeon that for an entire month after the surgery, I was to be lying down, with my ankle above my heart, 20 out of 24 hours each day. And she also added, "Those other 4 hours aren't for going to the bar with your buddies, or eating out, they're for getting to the bathroom and back, eating three protein-rich meals a day, and maybe going to the doctor. No work, no play. Just rest for the first month. I never want to see you about your achilles' again. Don't mess this up. Really do what I'm telling you to do." I watched a lot of TV and played a lot of Call of Duty in my basement. I slept on the couch down there most nights because climbing two flights of stairs on crutches to get to my bedroom was too tough.

I'm sorry. This really is a shitty situation. But please, please, please take care of yourself. The last thing you want is to need another surgery to correct any damage this causes you. I'm confident that your young mentee would understand.

Sorry for this silly question, but I tore my achilles last week. My surgery is scheduled for this Wednesday. It's going to be a lot worse immediately after the surgery than how I feel now?

I'm supposed to testify in Washington DC in late March...so you're telling me no flying across the country either?

Yes. When your achilles is just popped, you can still kinda lurch around, in fact some people never get the surgery at all (if they don't have insurance) and just kinda lurch through life. Once you've had surgery the pain will be quite a bit more considerable for a short amount of time, but you'll be better off for it in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ipmcc View Post
    Yes. When your achilles is just popped, you can still kinda lurch around, in fact some people never get the surgery at all (if they don't have insurance) and just kinda lurch through life. Once you've had surgery the pain will be quite a bit more considerable for a short amount of time, but you'll be better off for it in the end.
    Ah ok - that makes sense. Yeah - I've just been limping around. Haven't even taken a Tylenol. I just am still in shock that this happened...I got hit by a kid on a nothing trail. I just want to get all the way better by next fall...I don't want to have to ski like an old fogey after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post
    I got hit by a kid on a nothing trail.
    Yup. I was warming up on a green (to get over to better shit) when I blew my Achilles'. Saw a pow stash on the side of the trail, tipped in, and my ski went under a big log, and that's all she wrote. I was on a single-black groomer when I got my Tibial Plateau Fracture and torn Meniscus... which wasn't a fun recovery either. Be careful out there.

They always say, tautologically, that you always get hurt on the last run of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ipmcc View Post
    Yup. I was warming up on a green (to get over to better shit) when I blew my Achilles'. Saw a pow stash on the side of the trail, tipped in, and my ski went under a big log, and that's all she wrote. I was on a single-black groomer when I got my Tibial Plateau Fracture and torn Meniscus... which wasn't a fun recovery either. Be careful out there.

They always say, tautologically, that you always get hurt on the last run of the day.
    Did you achilles recover back to normal, for skiing purposes?

Yeah man, you just need to make sure you stick with your PT and stretching and it should be alright. I had my surgery just under 2 years ago, and I'm skiing now the same stuff I was skiing before. It's definitely not a lifestyle-ender!

100%. In fact, my surgeon said that rupturing one achilles doubles the chances that you'll rupture the other one because the repaired one will be stronger (i.e. more scar tissue) than the other one. In terms of skiing? Good as new. My knees are another story, but the Achilles'? Right as rain. Best of luck!

100%. Did mine three years ago and this season I am finally comfortable skiing really hard and fast, getting air etc. As mentioned, stretching and strengthening is key!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    100%. Did mine three years ago and this season I am finally comfortable skiing really hard and fast, getting air etc. As mentioned, stretching and strengthening is key!

Thank you all...well, I'm going to reallly reallly work my best to recover well. Hopefully will be back to normal by the fall...Silver lining is that this is the first thing to really get me to quit my Zyn/snus/nicotine addition after 15 years...doctor told me it would really slow down my healing. So, I quit cold turkey.

My buddy got a nice clip of my last backcountry turns before the collisions a couple days later...which I've been watching a lot the past few days: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bhn7188q03M

Something to look forward to for next fall/early winter. Thanks all for the advice.

Thank you all...well, I'm going to reallly reallly work my best to recover well. Hopefully will be back to normal by the fall...Silver lining is that this is the first thing to really get me to quit my Zyn/snus/nicotine addition after 15 years...doctor told me it would really slow down my healing. So, I quit cold turkey.

My buddy got a nice clip of my last backcountry turns before the collisions a couple days later...which I've been watching a lot the past few days: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bhn7188q03M

Something to look forward to for next fall/early winter. Thanks all for the advice.
    You will not be back to normal for at least a year. Take it easy until then man. You DO NOT want a second surgery on the same one. I was very careful skiing my first season back. It was 10 months after and I basically skied alone for the first two months so as to take it easy. Still skied very conservatively that year. Second season I ramped the speed as my off season training got me more comfortable with it. By middle of second season I was skiing at 90% speed and no airs or nothing very substantial. Full throttle Funky this season. Take it slow man!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You will not be back to normal for at least a year. Take it easy until then man. You DO NOT want a second surgery on the same one. I was very careful skiing my first season back. It was 10 months after and I basically skied alone for the first two months so as to take it easy. Still skied very conservatively that year. Second season I ramped the speed as my off season training got me more comfortable with it. By middle of second season I was skiing at 90% speed and no airs or nothing very substantial. Full throttle Funky this season. Take it slow man!

OK. I appreciate this- it's good not to set the expectations too high. As long as I'm skiing - that's fine. I don't mind skiing conservatively. What's wild to me is how some high level skiers (I think some WC racers, and Nikolai Schirmer) come back so quickly and are full throttle again.