Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    ^^^ dang man, I winced multiple times just reading that account. holy shit that sounds awful. here's hoping you have a speedy recovery; I'm glad you got surgery scheduled so quickly and at the end of the ski season too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Damn Pfluff, sorry bro! Not gonna lie, the next three months are gonna be rough but you got this. Keep the booze to a minimum. Keep your mind active. PT the shit out of it once released.
    You will be solid again in the end man, know that! Feel free to reach out any time via pm for questions and answers. Keep positive brother!

Damn, dog...

Sorry to hear this.

You're tough, you'll pull thru solid and be back at it soon enough.

QFT on good to get cut asap and at end of season. Best case scenario.

Holla for stokageawea anytime...

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^^ dang man, I winced multiple times just reading that account. holy shit that sounds awful. here's hoping you have a speedy recovery; I'm glad you got surgery scheduled so quickly and at the end of the ski season too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Damn Pfluff, sorry bro! Not gonna lie, the next three months are gonna be rough but you got this. Keep the booze to a minimum. Keep your mind active. PT the shit out of it once released.
    You will be solid again in the end man, know that! Feel free to reach out any time via pm for questions and answers. Keep positive brother!
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Damn, dog...

Sorry to hear this.

You're tough, you'll pull thru solid and be back at it soon enough.

QFT on good to get cut asap and at end of season. Best case scenario.

Holla for stokageawea anytime...
    Thanks guys.
    I'm hoping for percutaneous surgery.

sorry to hear it, pluff. gudonya for getting the slicies scheduled so quickly. should be gooder than new in no time.
    swing your fucking sword.

Oh man, vibes!

Good thinking to get the boot off.

Fuck all the non alpha males at work who wish they still got after it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

ski bro tore an achilles the same week as I kacked the ACL in Jan last year, he recovered did a big bike tour last summer & skied this year while I am still rehabbing

If you gotta blow something I would rather kack an achilles than an ACL

you should be good to go next season
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    sorry to hear it, pluff. gudonya for getting the slicies scheduled so quickly. should be gooder than new in no time.
    Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Oh man, vibes!

Good thinking to get the boot off.

Fuck all the non alpha males at work who wish they still got after it

My thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    ski bro tore an achilles the same week as I kacked the ACL in Jan last year, he recovered did a big bike tour last summer & skied this year while I am still rehabbing

If you gotta blow something I would rather kack an achilles than an ACL

you should be good to go next season
    Was thinking the same thing.
    I was class of 2015 for the ACL.

And it's done.
    Super smooth; percutaneous.
    No nerve block, currently very little pain but I'm on light meds.
    Lots of you're young/athletic/you don't look that old comments.

New ​addition to the quiver: pair of ~141cm Crutches.

And we get another member for the club...
    Hang in there Pfluf
    Three takeaways from my experience
    1. Take it slow and steady with the rehab - you can review my and HTFB’s experience (class of ‘19) here for the drawbacks of being a PT overachiever.

2. get a knee scooter for mobility. The “off-road” version with the big wheels. Mo betta than crutches and it gives you a platform to elevate the foot when needed.

3. Walking on hilly, uneven ground is better than a bike for later stage strength building

Will be interesting to see photos of your surgical scars - hadn’t heard of percutaneous surgery for Achilles.

You got this.

I had achilles surgery a few years ago.
    Lost a lot of quad muscle mass, and got it all back in 6 weeks by using a electro muscle stimulator. I used compex, but there are many other.

The contractions are intense. Sitting in a chair, i have to tie my ankles to the chair legs, otherwise they just shoot in the air during a contraction.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I had achilles surgery a few years ago.
    Lost a lot of quad muscle mass, and got it all back in 6 weeks by using a electro muscle stimulator. I used compex, but there are many other.

The contractions are intense. Sitting in a chair, i have to tie my ankles to the chair legs, otherwise they just shoot in the air during a contraction.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/d...12-36cbd28e51b

my buddy ( an old fucker) got surgery in january and by August he was able to do a bike tour to Whitehorse

Post-op check up at two weeks went well.
    Everything looks golden.
    My goal for the next two weeks is to be able to raise my foot to a 90* angle.

Awesome man.

Heal up, pfluff. You still have too many pairs of skis you have to ride to their deaths.

I tore mine last January. The road to recovery was long, but I was skiing (gently) in October and am now back to 100%. Sometimes I think (imagine?) that the repaired Achilles feels a bit tight, but nothing that’s kept me from doing anything I want to do.

Good luck, pfluff!

Also, getting a ski boot off the injured leg is a bitch. So excruciating. I didn’t dismantle like Pfluff, but needed a friend to pry them open. Soooooo painful.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Post-op check up at two weeks went well.
    Everything looks golden.
    My goal for the next two weeks is to be able to raise my foot to a 90* angle.
    Happy for you dood.
    Do take it easy on the initial stretching. As my PT wrote to my doc "TBS is an overachiever when it comes to rehab".
    I managed to obtain a greater ROM in my repaired foot than my normal one. Not necessarily a good thing.

And on an Achilles-related PSA

I was diagnosed with a kidney infection late last week - Ciprofloxin was prescribed
    When I picked up the Rx on Saturday the pharmacist sez "Tendonitis and tendon rupture are a side effect of this drug. Particularly the Achilles tendon."
    "OK how big is the risk?"
    "I don't know"
    "OK I had one Achilles repaired two years ago. Should I be concerned?"
    "I don't know. You need to talk with your doc."

More reading sez there's a risk during time I'm taking the drug and for "several months after" especially for "seasoned veterans" like me.

Prescribing doc knows I ski a lot and that I ruptured my Achilles skiing.
    We are going to have a chat about cures vs side effects at my followup on Friday

But as it turns out I had an allergic reaction Monday AM and spent 4 hrs in ER puking my guts out, so they switched me to another antibiotic.

Be warned

I was on Cipro for years.....fucking years, for endless ear infections due to a torn eardrum and a couple surgeries. It was during that time I tore my Achilles but not all the way. And I still attribute the amounts I ate to my shredded but still intact shoulder tendons, even thought the falls that splintered them varied in how bad the impacts were, from nothing to hard. And that's why I developed my CBD cream - for those shoulders that wouldn't stop hurting.

The plot thickens

About 10 min after I posted about cipro above, I went to cut a piece of 8lb mono tippet with my 3-blade swiss army knife. Something in my scissor thumb went "pop" and I could not move my thumb at the knuckle.

Just got back from urgent care. Ruptured flexor tendon in R thumb. Appt with surgeon Friday.
    The web sez three month from surgery to 100%. So much for Mtb and fly fishing...

Now I'm afraid to move any muscles. It's not like cutting a piece of leader with a sharp pair of scissors should result in orthopedic surgery.

Bummer ! Don't bother buying lottery tickets

Follow up -
    Yesterday I saw the surgeon who repaired my Achilles. Described the situation about antibiotics above.
    He palpated both tendons a bunch, and said
    “First off, don’t EVER take Ciprofloxacin or any other antibiotic that ends in “floxacin”. EVER.”

Told me the tendons felt fine to him - no signs of problems. Said that since I only had a few doses and a couple of weeks have passed since then, he thinks (with all the usual caveats) I can go back to skiing, MTB riding and hiking along riverbanks without worry of rupture.

PSA FWIW, YMMV

And best of luck to all y’all doing rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Awesome man.
    Thanks Funky!

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I tore mine last January. The road to recovery was long, but I was skiing (gently) in October and am now back to 100%. Sometimes I think (imagine?) that the repaired Achilles feels a bit tight, but nothing that’s kept me from doing anything I want to do.

Good luck, pfluff!

Thank you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Happy for you dood.
    Do take it easy on the initial stretching. As my PT wrote to my doc "TBS is an overachiever when it comes to rehab".
    I managed to obtain a greater ROM in my repaired foot than my normal one. Not necessarily a good thing.
    Hmm, noted.
    Hope your hand heals quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Heal up, pfluff. You still have too many pairs of skis you have to ride to their deaths.
    True.
    Most of them (7 pairs) are yours.

Had my four week post-op check up yesterday.
    Cutter was happy; seems to a strong repair.
    Got my foot to 90*, but the repaired tendon is super tight.
    Next week is bear weight: ditch the crutches, wear a boot and start PT.
    The following week: no boot.

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Also, getting a ski boot off the injured leg is a bitch. So excruciating. I didn’t dismantle like Pfluff, but needed a friend to pry them open. Soooooo painful.

My surgeon said that skiers are routinely sedated to remove boots after tib/fib fractures.
    No way I could have gotten it off alone without dismantling the boot.