Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Heh thanks. I can now go down stairs, foot over foot, no hands, and survive!

I still go downstairs at an angle. Rode mtb. Jumped some curbs. Couldn't help its. Felt great. Cant wait to do it again.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    My PT started taping me like so to keep me from stretching the tendon too much and lighting up the bursa sacs where tendon connects to heel. Seems to make a big difference
    Attachment 287275
    When I tore mine I a few yrs ago had a hell of a time with the inflammation at the base of the incision, and they were taping my arch like that, and I was leaving it on and showering in between as I was in like 2-3 x/week. Got taped up Friday, and I put shoes on and played in the river all day Saturday. Monday back at PT when I pulled the tape off I tore a 1/4" deep chunk of skin off the bottom of my heel. I then proceded to sit in the sun with flip-flops on and only get burned the top of the foot on on the recovering leg. I could barely do anything until almost 4mos and then it came back pretty quick after that, was able to ski just after 6 mos.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

^^^ PT gave me some extra tape so Ms TBS can retape between sessions. He told me to be careful removing the tape - “it’s a great exfoliator” he said. Now I see why

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Rode mtb. Jumped some curbs. Couldn't help its. Felt great. Cant wait to do it again.
    That’s the spirit!

Hahaha... first day after boot off got the grapefruit ankle. Riced it and next day more of a lime. Fucking sucks. Definately taking it easy. I wanted to fish this weekend but probably not gonna happen. Figure I will just drive some screws into the sole call them studs a wade all day

Quote Originally Posted by md81fe View Post
    Hahaha... first day after boot off got the grapefruit ankle. Riced it and next day more of a lime. Fucking sucks. Definately taking it easy. I wanted to fish this weekend but probably not gonna happen. Figure I will just drive some screws into the sole call them studs a wade all day
    M Series Jong you add nothing just suck at life with your black font of shame....

5 months update.
    I had developed tendinitis in the tendons going to my toes that stabilize the foot.
    And had to back off PT for a couple weeks as everything had become too painful.
    That has subsided and I am strengthening hard now
    Single leg calf raises with toe in and out hitting the different heads of the gastrops.
    Picking shit off the floor in different locations while standing on that foot.
    Sidesteps on my toes with a band around my feet.
    Calf is coming back to life and mass is returning very fucking slowly.
    Rolled up on my toes of that foot for about 20 seconds with other foot off ground before the calf gives out.
    Dr sez I am released for durt pedaling as long as I take it easy for next month until I hit the 6 months mark.
    He named some trails not to ride (ones with sweet jumps-Bobsled, Rush, Levitate) until October lol.
    Once at the 6 month mark I am released for all activities with implorement to take it easy and work up to previous levels

STOKED!!!!!

Think I'll go shuttle Levitate after work today and hit some sweet jumps!
    Bunny Don't Surf

Yup I’m on the strength training program too. Semi-one-legged (can’t yet do just one foot) heel raises, two legged heel raises with 60lb kettle ball, homie-pokies (push a small weight forward, back and to side with good foot while standing on repaired side), and tippy-birds. Also doing squats for winter.

Had to back off PT for two weeks when I pinched a nerve in my neck

Still not doing anything with consequences on the bike. See the surgeon on Tuesday.

In a show of optimism I bought my pass in June (without insurance) and bought a new pair of bibs. Will be interesting when the foot goes into the boot again...

It sucks but like you say it’s slowly getting better. Keep it up!

Hello. My name is 2FUNKY. I too tore my Achilles just this Thursday. Surgery is set for next Thursday.
    Reading this thread has me nervous. The down time is going to be my biggest issue.
    The results of some of you is inspirational.
    Definitely doing everything I can to recover quickly and fully before next ski season.

I partially ruptured mine last week. MRI Monday first thing, then discussions with surgeon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    I partially ruptured mine last week. MRI Monday first thing, then discussions with surgeon.

Damn dude, bummer.
    We droppin like flies.

Gotta keep them rubber bands attached to your heel bones or else! The recovery time is a mofo. I went insane, found sanity again, lost it then found some semblance of it when I got into the walking boot. 10 months out skiing hard fast and taking chances. Good luck team heal well!
    Bunny Don't Surf

I’m almost back after nine months. Can’t yet do one legged heel raises on repaired leg but that’s about it - and I’m almost there. Skiing 3-4 days per week and 2x at home doing specific exercises. Had to get new liners to accommodate the scar tissue. Quads on repaired side is stronger than the other one.

FWIW I started rehab with a lot of mtb riding - later found that hiking in rough terrain was better for building Achilles strength

Good luck to you initiates.

ETA - HTFB I don’t believe you ever posted a photo of your boot outfitted for wading...

That was an mseries jong. I waited a long time till I could get my foot in waders and boots but used standard hardware to do it.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Hello. My name is 2FUNKY. I too tore my Achilles just this Thursday. Surgery is set for next Thursday.
    Reading this thread has me nervous. The down time is going to be my biggest issue.
    Definitely doing everything I can to recover quickly and fully before next ski season.
    Sorry man, god speed.

Damn, vibes, heal fast and strong, d00d.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Damn, vibes, heal fast and strong, d00d.
    Thanks brother.

I’m gonna ask doc if sit-ski or ski bike are options during boot-time, otherwise I’m going to go nuts.

Dude, completely tore my left one in 14. Pain prior to surgery was horrible, my calf was curling up my leg. After surgery minimal pain. No avoiding down time. Is what it is. A ton of pushups, pullups, airdyne time, range time, and maybe consider taking up crochet or macrame. Get the best PT possible, someone that has one of the zero gravity treadmills. I went with the scooter rather than the peg leg before weight bearing. If they put you in a boot put some superfeet or running shoe insoles in the fucker. I ran mine over with a back hoe after I finally got out of it. I tore mine in May and was back in the treestand by November. I maintained some leg strength and cardio by riding an airdyne with my boot on. If you want it, it's yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Dude, completely tore my left one in 14. Pain prior to surgery was horrible, my calf was curling up my leg. After surgery minimal pain. No avoiding down time. Is what it is. A ton of pushups, pullups, airdyne time, range time, and maybe consider taking up crochet or macrame. Get the best PT possible, someone that has one of the zero gravity treadmills. I went with the scooter rather than the peg leg before weight bearing. If they put you in a boot put some superfeet or running shoe insoles in the fucker. I ran mine over with a back hoe after I finally got out of it. I tore mine in May and was back in the treestand by November. I maintained some leg strength and cardio by riding an airdyne with my boot on. If you want it, it's yours.
    Thanks man, i have an AirCast now. My normal PT is one if the best around. Solid dude. Requesting a scooter during pre op consultation. Good idea on the insoles.

Damn 2FUNKY, sorry to see this. Hope the surgery goes well tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Damn 2FUNKY, sorry to see this. Hope the surgery goes well tomorrow.
    Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    My PT started taping me like so to keep me from stretching the tendon too much and lighting up the bursa sacs where tendon connects to heel. Seems to make a big difference
    Attachment 287275
    Having torn a segment of tendon off my heel mountain biking, I think I've had a taste of that bursa sac pain. It didn't quit until I was looking at the sky while doing a switch eggbeater on a steep slope and that piece popped off the heel bone. I thought I'd taken it all but just that one piece of it ripped off with a cutting torch like burning sensation. Been good since.

You're gonna be gimped but you're gonna be good soon, 2FUNKY.

Thanks, Splat. Can’t wait to get surgery over and start the healing process.

Thanks, Splat. Can’t wait to get surgery over and start the healing process.
    That sucks Funky and here is to a speedy recovery... Not the same injury but I just had back surgery this Monday and as you said I just wanted the surgery over and begin the healing process...! Good luck man...!

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    That sucks Funky and here is to a speedy recovery... Not the same injury but I just had back surgery this Monday and as you said I just wanted the surgery over and begin the healing process...! Good luck man...!

Thanks man. Back surgery, dang man, god speed in your recovery!!!