Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Read this quote today and thought it seemed relevant...

‎"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm going to continue to beat the shit out of my body until I can't anymore.
    Totally! its basic science/our bodies joints are lubricated by movement

Muscles shrivel to 'death' when not used, for lack of better term.

When you work Hard all the time; Hard work becomes easy
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Checking into this achilles thread. Outta tha cast and into the boot. My was at the insertion to the heelbone and they ground off a second heel that formed. Fkna glad to get to 50% weight bearing. OMG I have no fucking calfmuscle left!

Let the healing commence!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190429_150443.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	280602
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Interesting blue lines. My guess-surgeon or asst removed half the stitches (common practice) and drew blue lines to help find the remaining stitches later, since they tend to get buried in the tissue and hard to find. If so that's a clever idea I hadn't heard of, but then I never removed just half the stitches myself. Did I guess right? Heal well.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Interesting blue lines. My guess-surgeon or asst removed half the stitches (common practice) and drew blue lines to help find the remaining stitches later, since they tend to get buried in the tissue and hard to find. If so that's a clever idea I hadn't heard of, but then I never removed just half the stitches myself. Did I guess right? Heal well.
    Lines where there when the bandage came off. All stiches are out and dr applied skin adhesive to incision and layered on steri strips. I just bought a pair of runners compression socks from rei and expensed them to my FSA w dr's script for my upcoming cali trip.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Good luck Fugi - BTW you may want to trade your knee scooter for an all-terrain model with bigger wheels.

Name:  knee scooter.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  7.4 KB

Much easier to get over curb cuts, road imperfections, etc although easier to get a wheel off the ground in corners.

Got my stitches out Tuesday. Dr tells me I can bear 100% weight on that leg - easy in the boot, notsomuch without. Stiff as fuck, Can barely see my ankle for the swelling.

Stepped out of first shower in 3+ weeks onto repaired leg, and spent the next five minutes in agony. Ms TBS said everybody on our block learned new phrases.

2x/week PT starts 5/7

(Not) Sleeping in this boot fucking sucks

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Good luck Fugi - BTW you may want to trade your knee scooter for an all-terrain model with bigger wheels.

Name:  knee scooter.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  7.4 KB

Much easier to get over curb cuts, road imperfections, etc although easier to get a wheel off the ground in corners.

Got my stitches out Tuesday. Dr tells me I can bear 100% weight on that leg - easy in the boot, notsomuch without. Stiff as fuck, Can barely see my ankle for the swelling.

Stepped out of first shower in 3+ weeks onto repaired leg, and spent the next five minutes in agony. Ms TBS said everybody on our block learned new phrases.

2x/week PT starts 5/7

(Not) Sleeping in this boot fucking sucks
    Those are sweet! This one was handmedown from a coach my wife works with. Im straight hauling ass on mine everywhere I go. Steering is fucking twitchy at topend. It could use a slacker head tube angle. He has had 3 achilles surgeries Haglund corrections on each foot then a reado for getting after it too soon and slipping his repair on the heelbone

Im 2 weeks at 50% weight bearing with 3 heel lifts then remove a lift per week (and start pt) then go 100% wb when the lifts are gone.
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 05-02-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

My bad foot still points down a little, but nothing like right after the injury. Kinda weird, especially with all the stifness

My scoote,r, like above in gold is on loan from Gepmeow. But yeah, real twitchy at speed, esp cornering. Ms TBS sez I should wear at least a helmet if not body armor when using it. Agreed it needs more slack HTA, and a taller head tube.

First day of PT today
    Good news - range of motion is excellent - pretty much the same as the good side in all directions. The benefits of splinting at 90 degrees rather than starting with toes pointing down I guess.

Bad news - somebody stole my calf muscles on that side

Working on heel raises - sitting for my repaired side, standing on my good side. PT tells me working the good side trains the bad side. Not sure how that works but there's not much else for me to do right now

First day of PT today
    Good news - range of motion is excellent - pretty much the same as the good side in all directions. The benefits of splinting at 90 degrees rather than starting with toes pointing down I guess.

Bad news - somebody stole my calf muscles on that side

Working on heel raises - sitting for my repaired side, standing on my good side. PT tells me working the good side trains the bad side. Not sure how that works but there's not much else for me to do right now
    Oh man I cant wait for pt. Sitting around is making me nuts. Glad you got good ROM my dr says that will take the longest w mine. Are u able yo move through that rom on your own or with PT pushing and pulling.

I hear you on dissappearing calf muscle. Gone! I wear a sock under my boot and they are legit loose around the calf
    Bunny Don't Surf

I can move thru ROM on my own, no need for outside effort. I was pleasantly surprised.

I hear you on the agony of sitting on my ass doing nothing. Got out for a bit on the knee scooter this PM, riding around in front of the house with the neighbor kids on their razor scooters. “Watch out for the big kid!!!” My LBS is helping me track down a bike training stand so I start pedaling without being a danger to myself or others

I’m using a lightweight Darn Tuff ski sock inside my boot. Provides some compression around what is currently my cankle as well as a barrier for the ice packs.

I heard you got hurt TBS, I had no idea on you issue.
    That looks nasty, heal up well

Looking for a pic of a carbon fiber ski brace that someone posted

Went to doc today. Im down to one heel lift and 100 % weight bearing. The biggest thing I can sleep without the brace. Holy shit!
    Bunny Don't Surf

^^^ Very Cool Fugi. When do you start PT?

Had my 6 week post-op visit today. Like you, was told I don’t have to wear the boot at night any more - which is good because I stopped that five days ago.

Plan now is “aggressive” PT. Est return to bike = four weeks for road, six weeks for MTB. Driving is still 3-4 weeks away, when I’m out of the boot full time.

^^^ Very Cool Fugi. When do you start PT?

Had my 6 week post-op visit today. Like you, was told I don’t have to wear the boot at night any more - which is good because I stopped that five days ago.

Plan now is “aggressive” PT. Est return to bike = four weeks for road, six weeks for MTB. Driving is still 3-4 weeks away, when I’m out of the boot full time.
    I was cleared to start immediately but the first opening at pt the surgeon recommened is next week. Sleeping witout the boot I sleep much better and have been allowed back in the marital bed lol. My whole heel is still numb but doc sez itll come back with pt massaging

Glad u are moving along quickly TBS! I just reupped my short term disability for another 5 weeks! Wooohoo Getten paid for nothing. I could get used to this
    Bunny Don't Surf

Oh and no driving? My right foot is in a boot but Ive been driving w my left for a couple weeks. All my wips are automatic so thats in my favor.
    Bunny Don't Surf

I drive an outback. There’s not enough room between throttle and brake pedals to get that boot in there. Or use left foot on throttle and brake. And right foot not strong enough yet for a hard stop - like when avoiding deer.

With the fugitive on this one.

Need to advise doctor that you will not drive as I believe they are required to report if you say you will.

Assumption of a risk I deemed acceptable.

Oh man I get it. Ive mostly been driving my Tundra seat back wheel up and rfoot against seat w my butt turned like 10 deg r . It has lots of footroom in the drivers seat so yay! I wouldnt want to go too far but for
    around town Im good. Rock the handicap dangler with no shame
    Bunny Don't Surf

Oh and have not properly notified authorities about switchfoot driving they didnt ask i didnt tell
    Bunny Don't Surf

Two month update. Today’s highlights
    - rode my town bike for 20 min on the stand without the @#$&* boot - only minor pain at top of stroke
    - climbed a flight of stairs without the boot - foot over foot no less
    - descended a flight of stairs without boot and survived. Had to step down with repaired foot and follow with good one, and hold the rail, but I’ll take it.
    - drove myself to LBS for a beer

Next step is riding bike on street without the stand. And sleeping in my own bed.

Two month update. Today’s highlights
    - rode my town bike for 20 min on the stand without the @#$&* boot - only minor pain at top of stroke
    - climbed a flight of stairs without the boot - foot over foot no less
    - descended a flight of stairs without boot and survived. Had to step down with repaired foot and follow with good one, and hold the rail, but I’ll take it.
    - drove myself to LBS for a beer

Next step is riding bike on street without the stand. And sleeping in my own bed.
    Fk yeh TBS! Keep it up

12 weeks post op. Pt in shoes with 2 heel lifts for a couple weeks now. Up n down steps no problem. No pain everything bueno. Went to doc today shit looks good OUT OF THE BOOT! !! FKNA! Still have 2 months till I can run and jump and cut and get crazy but hoooooboy am I stoked. Released to pedal my MTB up n down the street with flats. NO DIRT MR FUGI! Released to fish from a boat if wading rocky rvrs gotta wear the boot.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Good to hear Fugi, esp getting back on the bike. I was also told “no dirt” but my PT & I negotiated a low-consequence singletrack route he’s OK with. That and some gravel roads.

Do take it slow and steady on the rehab. First week out of the boot I was charging hard. Then my foot swole up like a balloon, the surgical scar started weeping, I couldn’t turn the peddles without agony, and pain in heel was intense. Had to dial it way back for 10 days. Just now getting back at it. Figure I will be in decent bike shape by ski season.

I gotta see pics of you wading in a boot over waders. Maybe glue some carpet to the sole?

Hahaha... first day after boot off got the grapefruit ankle. Riced it and next day more of a lime. Fucking sucks. Definately taking it easy. I wanted to fish this weekend but probably not gonna happen. Figure I will just drive some screws into the sole call them studs a wade all day
    Bunny Don't Surf

My PT started taping me like so to keep me from stretching the tendon too much and lighting up the bursa sacs where tendon connects to heel. Seems to make a big difference
    Name:  IMG_1267.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  128.9 KB

Achilles tear in ski crash?

Happy to see you progressing...