Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Proud of your kid?

Have you ever been so proud of your kid you got teary eyed and felt compelled to share it with a bunch of (mostly) complete strangers?

Yesterday, my son Hillel, (who turns seven in a few days) and I were flying back from SLC to Philly. On our first flight from SLC to Chicago, the plane had three seats on each side of the aisle. I was in the aisle seat and my son was in the middle. Next to the window was a teenage boy with downs syndrome (he also stuttered really badly).

I could tell Hillel was nervous at first (I think b/c the boy "looked" different). Hillel took out his DS and the boy said, “I have one too” and started playing Mario Cart on his DS3D. My son handed me his DS and started watching the boy play and commenting on the game. When the boy “died,” Hillel said “Can I play?” The boy gave him the DS; Hillel and the boy shared the game back and forth several times. As they played the game, they yelled at the game, talked about their respective trips, and shared info about each other.

Because of the boy's stutter and the plane noise, he was difficult to understand. When he didn't understand, Hillel would ask him to repeat what he said or he'd turn to me for translation. Once he understood the boy, they went right back to their conversation.

As we exited the plane, Hillel said to the boy, "It was nice to meet you Chris."

I felt that the situation could have been awkward or Hillel could have just ignored the boy, but his actions made me proud.

Plus he's a pretty rad dude; Hillel at the tram:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Utah 2012 Pt2 012.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	112302
    and at the airport:

Name:	Utah 2012 Pt2 026.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	112303

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Have you ever been so proud of your kid you got teary eyed and felt compelled to share it with a bunch of (mostly) complete strangers?

Yesterday, my son Hillel, (who turns seven in a few days) and I were flying back from SLC to Philly. On our first flight from SLC to Chicago, the plane had three seats on each side of the aisle. I was in the aisle seat and my son was in the middle. Next to the window was a teenage boy with downs syndrome (he also stuttered really badly).

I could tell Hillel was nervous at first (I think b/c the boy "looked" different). Hillel took out his DS and the boy said, “I have one too” and started playing Mario Cart on his DS3D. My son handed me his DS and started watching the boy play and commenting on the game. When the boy “died,” Hillel said “Can I play?” The boy gave him the DS; Hillel and the boy shared the game back and forth several times. As they played the game, they yelled at the game, talked about their respective trips, and shared info about each other.

Because of the boy's stutter and the plane noise, he was difficult to understand. When he didn't understand, Hillel would ask him to repeat what he said or he'd turn to me for translation. Once he understood the boy, they went right back to their conversation.

As we exited the plane, Hillel said to the boy, "It was nice to meet you Chris."

I felt that the situation could have been awkward or Hillel could have just ignored the boy, but his actions made me proud.

Plus he's a pretty rad dude; Hillel at the tram:

Name:	Utah 2012 Pt2 012.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	112302
    and at the airport:

Name:	Utah 2012 Pt2 026.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	188.9 KB 
ID:	112303
    Quality moments in life don't come along like that every day, Big props for your son.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Good work, Dad (and Mom!)

Good kid, probably because of a good dad. Hope my kid acts similarly later in life.

He sees his parents act politely torwards others that are different so he does the same.

Keep up the great parenting.
    The best things in life aren't things.

People are people.....props to your son for knowing it all along.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

good stuff..I think kids, when young, look past all that. Its as they get older, get into "cliques" with kids that are not soo accepting and then the real shit hits the fan.
    Exposure to "people with disabilities" at an early age helps.

Apparently you're doing a good job as a dad...keep it up.

Good job Dad, and kid.
    I hope you told him what you told us.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Yes I have.

And I'm proud of your kid too. This is a tough world and only getting tougher. We need more kids like yours.

Hillel

Small world... I was on your plane flight back. Glad you guys enjoyed your trip and nice job to your boy. You could tell he had a good time. You were in the sling right?

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Small world... I was on your plane flight back. Glad you guys enjoyed your trip and nice job to your boy. You could tell he had a good time. You were in the sling right?
    Yep...that was me. I had a great time too (that was some fabulous Spring skiing). I didn't get hurt till Sunday afternoon (and Monday morning didn't look so great), so I only missed about an hour of skiing.

sounds like you're doing a good job or are just lucky
    either way, good on ya!

(sigh) i remember getting dressed in sunday best to fly...looks like you're keeping the tradition

Iceman wears his pride on his jeans

I have no kids. but i do applaud the little guy that broke through a condom in college and almost gave me a heart attack, that fucker had a mission! thankfully the girl had it "taken care of"

The world and TGR is obviously changing for the better. When I was a kid we always used to make fun of the spastics.

Warning people. Don't leave your computer unattended when logged into this place.

Thanks dickhead.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    The world and TGR is obviously changing for the better. When I was a kid we always used to make fun of the spastics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Warning people. Don't leave your computer unattended when logged into this place.

Thanks dickhead.
    Fuck you, I just blew diet coke out my nose.

As to the OP, sounds like a great kid, I'd buy him a beer.

It is amazing what happens if you let kids be kids.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Congrats on your awesome kid.

I like to tell people about my dog. They really don't care, but I tell them anyway. He's my furkid.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hillel FTW.

well parented kids treat others with kindness.

Must be all that time he spends with the good folks in the Black Line Pub!

Name:	Face crash 001.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	112502
    Last edited by smartyiak; 03-17-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Kids are great from birth until.....we fuck em up.

OP, keep not fucking em up.

Hillel? What in the hell kind of name is that?

Great kid, great story.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    Hillel? What in the hell kind of name is that?
    What business is it of yours, Douche?

To the O.P.: I agree with the what someone here said...it's amazing what can happen when we let kids be kids.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Mazeltov.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident