Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Good sportsmanship!! So many dudes would have just thrown that damselfly in the cooler... Reminds me of the time I hooked a bat and had to do the same thing. I pinned him down on a rock and we were staring at each other while I unhooked his wing. I had the eerie feeling that he was communicating with me - "you better get this damn thing outta me quick or I'm gonna give you rabies!!"

Quote Originally Posted by NMmatt View Post
    Good sportsmanship!! So many dudes would have just thrown that damselfly in the cooler... Reminds me of the time I hooked a bat and had to do the same thing. I pinned him down on a rock and we were staring at each other while I unhooked his wing. I had the eerie feeling that he was communicating with me - "you better get this damn thing outta me quick or I'm gonna give you rabies!!"
    I love bats, so docile. I had one fly in my window and land on my arm while I was sleeping. Scared the shit out of me, but he didn't struggle or try to bite when I helped him back out the window. Same kind of thing, just stared at me.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Sexy stuff SFB! Kessler Looks happy to be o the water.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. Stumbled upon a good one last night. Dropped the lines in the water and had him hooked within about 2 minutes. After the pic, daughter handed him back to me and the dorsal fin punctured an artery in my arm. Damn, blood everywhere, but I got the fish revived and it swam off. Direct pressure is a good thing.

In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Out on the water again this weekend. Caught another 25+ rainbow, this time on this stonefly. I sent a few of them in the traveling fly box...hope it's working along it's travels
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stonefly.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	119015

Name:	Steves honey hole.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	119016

Name:	SM Rainbow 2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	119017

Name:	SM Rainbow.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	119018

Nice little fly...would you mind sharing the recipe?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Nice little fly...would you mind sharing the recipe?
    Resurrected the Fly Recipes thread from last year

Got a chance to spend some time on the water today from 2-5 on a west facing (ie: directly in the sun) small mountain brook. Fish were spooky, but still ended up having a 3 species day. Pretty exciting to see even some of the smaller guys whacking at hoppers and beetles.

go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

^^^
    Now THAT'S fly fishing!

A couple of old buddies and I spent the weekend on Independence pass, fished Lincoln Creek, some alpine lakes, and then did a full day float trip on the Roaring fork. The water was pretty warm...not too warm to fish, and we did not kill any fish, but no pictures of fish our of the water.

The fish fought like crazy...way harder then I am used to on the front range...Colorado, S. Platte, etc...they were actually ripping line off my reel. Props to Taylor Creek Angerls in Basalt. It was my party, so of course I caught the biggest and the largest fish ;-) It was me, my bestman who has lots of fishing experience, but limited fly experience, and two newbies. For some reason my boat was catching fish in the 17 to 19 inch range, with me catching about 12 this size. The other boat with my best man and other buddy caught mostly 12 to 15 inch fish...except for the big white fish. Limited camera work...all fish were from his boat...only picks of my boat are of me and the future brother in law...I have the beard...and he was innocent before the weekend the started.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Gretch - Nice quick TR and congrats on what we can only assume is a pending wedding???!!

Holy shit, Underoos! You are gettin after it all over the place this season.

Soooo awesome Underoos. I am jealous!

Thanks igBand. Yeah, getting married Oct 6...then heading to Fiji and New Zealand for the rest of October. Trying to figure out if I can get any salt action in Fiji...def going to try and chase down some wild browns in NZ.

Congrats Gretch!

Good weekend for the pigs.

Eleven all together over 3 days, two 29 pounders, several more in the 20-25 range, and several in the 14-16 range. 5lb 2oz largemouth.

29 on the left, 22 on the right.
    Friend nailed a 38lb 7oz on Sunday at dusk.

In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Sweet, nothing better than being amongst the fish at dusk or dawn. The journey to be there is a close second though.

Trying not to take it all for granted these days. So many places to have an excuse to spend some time at, life is too short and filled with too many workdays.
    Last edited by tone capone; 08-18-2012 at 03:39 AM.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

You said it. Beautiful country.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Soooo awesome Underoos. I am jealous!

Thanks igBand. Yeah, getting married Oct 6...then heading to Fiji and New Zealand for the rest of October. Trying to figure out if I can get any salt action in Fiji...def going to try and chase down some wild browns in NZ.
    the mrs. and I & another couple will be in fiji the 4th-13th I'll definately be bringin my sticks. Started researchin a bit. seems there are a few charter boats and kind of limited shore ops, but if it's like belize and most island locals a little cash will get ya a local with a boat.
    From a few posts here it seem doable.http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...hing-Fiji.html
    Will shoot ya a pm when it gets closer definately should hook up and fish as no way in hell can I hang on a beach for a week and not fish
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    the mrs. and I & another couple will be in fiji the 4th-13th I'll definately be bringin my sticks. Started researchin a bit. seems there are a few charter boats and kind of limited shore ops, but if it's like belize and most island locals a little cash will get ya a local with a boat.
    From a few posts here it seem doable.http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...hing-Fiji.html
    Will shoot ya a pm when it gets closer definately should hook up and fish as no way in hell can I hang on a beach for a week and not fish
    Sweet...we land in Nadi on Tuesday October 9th, then fly to Savusavu for the week to stay at Namale. We will be at the resort for 6 days/5 nights. Where abouts are you going to be? Biggest rod I have is a 6wt...so I was not sure.

Took a Wounded Warrior, through Project Healing Waters, out fly fishing for Kings here on the rivers.

We had a blast!

http://www.projecthealingwaters.org/

-Look up the program, it's a great way to give back and share a passion with our nation's young heroes

love checking in this thread. Good stuff all! and SFB I need to get out there with you one of these off seasons, great touring with you, I can imagine fishing is just as fun.

Although temps have been great in Northern VT with 40 and 30 degree nights and 60-70 degree days, there has been no precip in weeks, so flows are scary. 3 weights, long leaders, and 6/7x are required if you dont want to send a whole pool running on your first cast.

Rivers only yielding small volunteers(all iphone shots):

Warm Water has been serving up some nice pigs on poppers though