Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cement Mixers - Vancouver area ski touring group.

Hello all,

In an attempt to organize some of the local mags around van, I have though that a thread of your touring exploits, proposed missions, meetups and ideas, be born.

I find myself touring the locals solo on a regular basis, mainly out of timing and access. Trying to change this for obvious reasons.

Throw down a reply (or PM an email addy) and we'll get this lifted, assuming there is some interest.

I'm heading up hollyburn today to catch some of the 35cms.

Sounds like fun. I can't today but I'm keen in general. I'll send you a PM. Most of my touring has been up near Whistler/Pemberton but I'd be interested to check out the local possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo View Post
    1. Is this like one of those Meetup.com, groups that are slyly 'not-for-profit' but actually commercial?

2. Are you a certified guide? If so, what certs.?

3. Isn't there a wind warning on the North Shore with lifts closed at Cypress?

4. How is the AVY danger today?

There is already a lot of touring exploits, proposed missions, meetups and ideas on Trailpeak and a few other sites. Also, see the ACC-Vancouver chapter. They are always looking for good trip leaders and they have lots of stuff planned for easy-todificult.

Good Luck! Post pictures!
    Huh?

ACCVancouver <==== handholding of the highest order. Who is this guy?

Still in terrace schemeboat but good name for the group

^^ Ya ya.

Attachment 112136

Great day to do it! and they closed down the lifts at Cypress this morning due to wind!

Just reminded me of Meetup.com and all their groups that look like individuals initiatives but are actually franchised endeavers.

Like I said, there is already a lot of touring exploits, proposed missions, meetups and ideas on Trailpeak and a few other sites. Also, see the ACC-Vancouver chapter. They are always looking for good trip leaders and they have lots of stuff planned for easy-todificult.

I would start there with good experienced guides and people who do a lot of North Shore/Close By trips.
    OK Garbo, seeing as you are likely new to the North Shore, here's a bit of beta:
    1. This a a forum group, aimed at organizing BC partners to explore the area adjacent to the lower mainland. This is not for profit. I am absolutely not even considering using meetup or whatever else is available. TGR has proven to have a great group of coastal ski tourers, and through association, an even larger stable of keen alpinists.
    2. No, I am not a guide, or did i offer guiding services, or even propose a trip (other than MY SOLO MISSION), or really, anything to do with guiding. I recommend, if you have no training or are unfamiliar with the snowpack and/or you are going into unknown avalanche terrain, you hire an ACMG certified ski guide, either privately or through one of the many amazing guiding operations in BC. I am a mere Ops 1, OFA III, Avalanche Awareness Guide and Vollie Ski Patrol on BC, pathetic, I know, I'm only human.
    3. There is likely a shutdown on cypress as it is BLOWING in the city right now. However, I didn't even make mention of visiting cypress (by that you mean strachan and black mtns) I said hollyburn, which, an expert such as yourself would know is a gentle TL/BTL peak adjacent to the two. It hosts some excellent tree skiing, and limited exposure if you have any idea where you are going. Occasionally you can find a partner at the trailhead. No idea if I will actually get some turns in, you know, its tough to assess the snowpack from a window.
    4. The Avalanche danger is HIGH at TL and Considerable BTL. Although, you wouldn't know that from the incorrect bulletin you posted. For anyone who is interested, here's a link to the correct one: http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/bulletin...st/north-shore

Garbo - I encourage you to keep up with the proposed trips and all that good stuff at trailpeak. This is a TGR forum, aimed at providing a group for likeminded Lower Mainland folks to get together and hit some objectives. You are welcome to provide some info about yourself, and if you're as much of an expert as your blind analysis of this group leads you to be, you will likely find a few BC partners out of it! I understand your frustration, another thread in this lifetime of endless threads, but in my searching, a group of experienced BC partners in Vancouver does not really exist (at least one with a similar M.O.). Please - do provide a bit of info about yourself.

This is not meant to divert people away from the ACC trips (member #81600-91146 Sec:WH), they are a foundational organization in Canada, founded by british people who love rogers pass.

D(C) - Awesome, I always catch your stoke on the Whistler page, was wondering if I would ever see you on the north shore.
    Last edited by Schemeboat; 03-12-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    ACCVancouver <==== handholding of the highest order. Who is this guy?

Still in terrace schemeboat but good name for the group
    Cool Lee, glad you like the appropriately and well thought out (friday, skin track) name. Happy Line Hunting up North (how are the roads?).

roads are in good shape till the freezing levels at about 500m or so. Been to warm to get after anything big. Heading back to the south coast today.

Have had a few beautiful morning outings so far on the Shore.

Some great mornings up there late season last year also.

I certainly hope that one must first do a "Cement Mixer" at the bar before gaining entry to the group.

I think this is a great idea. I do a lot of skiing, but I want to start doing more touring, have all my gear, and have already done a fair amount. Just want to leanr more places, and more knowledge from other people.

I can see a use for a forum like this, because it's often hard to find capable people to go touring with. Drop me a line anytime, I'm open to trying out some ski tours anywhere.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

Back from a quick lap up hburn. Deep-ish. Lots of cracking on skin up.
    Pit
    30cm pf. S aspect, rollover under sub peak bench (1000m, maybe)
    Top 80 cm is a mix of 4f, 1f, until the 1f/pencil crust.
    Burp got a sp failure on the windslab/morning new snow down 10
    CTE 3 SC down 35
    CTE 9 RP down 65 on crust (variable depth). There is a sliding surface.
    Ski Cuts - Well supported slopes (most) were pretty bomber, little bit reactive on the top layer. Unsupported slopes failed under ANY load very easily, Failures were mostly down 35 (recent storm) Had one spot step down to the crust down 65, but as you moved to a more northerly aspect, the crust was obviously a lot deeper. I didn't venture over the ridge as from what I saw and felt, things were moving. As with hollyburn, lots of little terrain features, propagation won't be large but short rides into big trees or terrain traps will hurt and bury. I would put the lee side stability rating in the poor+ range.

Definitely pay attention to the rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    Back from a quick lap up hburn. Deep-ish. Lots of cracking on skin up.
    Pit
    30cm pf. S aspect, rollover under sub peak bench (1000m, maybe)
    Top 80 cm is a mix of 4f, 1f, until the 1f/pencil crust.
    Burp got a sp failure on the windslab/morning new snow down 10
    CTE 3 SC down 35
    CTE 9 RP down 65 on crust (variable depth). There is a sliding surface.
    Ski Cuts - Well supported slopes (most) were pretty bomber, little bit reactive on the top layer. Unsupported slopes failed under ANY load very easily, Failures were mostly down 35 (recent storm) Had one spot step down to the crust down 65, but as you moved to a more northerly aspect, the crust was obviously a lot deeper. I didn't venture over the ridge as from what I saw and felt, things were moving. As with hollyburn, lots of little terrain features, propagation won't be large but short rides into big trees or terrain traps will hurt and bury. I would put the lee side stability rating in the poor+ range.

Definitely pay attention to the rating.
    Nice. Sounds like fun. I'm hoping to mix some cement at Seymour tonight (in bounds).

I'd be interested in either afterwork or early morning wanders on the locals...

I've probably skinned up Seymour half a dozen times on Wednesday evenings this season with various groups of friends. Mostly for fitness, but we've sometimes done a quick bit of beacon practice at the same time. I'll toss a post up the next time I'm heading that way.

This thread is going pretty good , but I can't help myself ......

Garbo , for profit ??? meetup.com (never heard of it), certified ,ACC ???

What the fuck ?

These are just peeps looking for other people to tour with . Are you someone's mom ?

Seriously , your questions are retarded , I'm surprised people have responded so nicely to you , props to

them .

Do you wear a helmet when you drive ? Do you have a certified navigator/driving partner ? Accident hazard is always high !

It's dangerous !!!!

(Be careful , this may still be some type of for-profit bs ) hahahahahhahahahaaaa

Haha, agree with DDsnake,
    Getting out of Van tomorrow to ski Baker tomorrow, email if anybody is interested in joining.
    And definitely interested in mid week, morning tours wherever.

I find myself touring the locals solo on a regular basis, mainly out of timing and access. Trying to change this for obvious reasons.
    I read that to mean that he was taking locals out on tours, i.e guiding other people into the North Shore mountains, on his own, on a regular basis. That and the fact that he is going today and it is very high avy hazard generate my questions.
    Last edited by Garbanzo; 03-23-2012 at 03:51 AM.

^ alot of the roll call threads are full of people that meet up and ski together on a regular basis JONG (Garguzzler). This thread is a great idea. ACC, Meetup....shut the fuck up.

best name!

Agree w t2c. Garbo you sound scary. Maybe try clubtread. Off to whis. Temps low on shore today

Funny, I was actually going to say go back to CT but what would the odds be? Enjoy the forecast.

Cement mixer = one ounce lime juice one ounce irish cream. do both shots at the same time swish around in mouth thank me later.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

t2c is an obnoxious rude douche - he fits right in. You on the other hand can stick that resume up your ass without lube

That would be Schemeboats resume. I am just a JONG, probably half your combined ages and learning quickly how to get FUTA on TGR by a bunch of WOFM -- without lube.

If someone doesn't mind explaining this to me: what does all this mean: Ops 1, OFA III, Avalanche Awareness Guide and Vollie Ski Patrol on BC."

Is there also such thing as a 'Special Ops'?

While I have my hand up ... one last question ... Is red bad? What happened to the guy who was rating the Alpine? Is this a good day to ski Hoolyburn?

Attachment 112232
    The guy that normally rates the North Shore alpine is too busy looking for guys like you in Aussie Gully.

That would be Schemeboats resume. I am just a JONG, probably half your combined ages and learning quickly how to get FUTA on TGR by a bunch of WOFM -- without lube.

If someone doesn't mind explaining this to me: what does all this mean: Ops 1, OFA III, Avalanche Awareness Guide and Vollie Ski Patrol on BC."

Is there also such thing as a 'Special Ops'?

While I have my hand up ... one last question ... Is red bad? What happened to the guy who was rating the Alpine? Is this a good day to ski Hoolyburn?

Attachment 112232
    I am trying to decide if I'm being suckered into answering a troll or if you're just a knob... The community isn't too bad about newbs, but you just seem to be a confrontational douchenozzle...

Ops 1:http://www.avalanche.ca/caa/training...che-operations
    OFA: Occupation first aid
    BC: Blackcomb

Have you ever been to the top of Hollyburn or Seymour? Look around, you're still at the edge of treeline.