Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Crossed at Nelway last week with a passenger that had an old DUI. He wasn't asked and we didn't tell.
    Border guard seemed most concerned that I may have weapons. He said he saw my Utah Firefighter tags "and in his experience, firefighters always have guns." After 3 asks and 3 replies of "no weapons," he waved us through with no check.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Crossed at Nelway last week with a passenger that had an old DUI. He wasn't asked and we didn't tell.
    Border guard seemed most concerned that I may have weapons. He said he saw my Utah Firefighter tags "and in his experience, firefighters always have guns." After 3 asks and 3 replies of "no weapons," he waved us through with no check.
    Enjoy! Stability is setting up nicely. N faces are still holding cold snow

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Enjoy! Stability is setting up nicely. N faces are still holding cold snow
    Skied last week at Ice Creek lodge. By far the best skiing I've ever done. Trip report forthcoming after I go through and edit photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Any update on this? I got a DWAI in Colorado about 12 years ago and am planning on driving into Canada in late March.

What am I supposed to do ahead of time? Anybody to contact of call?
    Hey bro, I'm in the same boat. Had a DUI a long time ago and I'm headed up to Canada in a couple weeks. I just read about a new law that was passed in December 2018 that has me stressing.

https://berardiimmigrationlaw.com/ne...ore-difficult/
    This is what has changed... "As of December 2018, a DUI is a serious crime in Canada and such an offense no longer qualifies for automatic Deemed Rehabilitation after ten years. This significant change is due to the Government of Canada implementing new DUI laws that increased the maximum length of imprisonment to a decade. Consequently, impaired driving offenses are now considered too serious to qualify for Deemed Rehabilitation by virtue of time, and an American with a single DWI can now be denied entry at the Canadian border even if the offense occurred more than ten years ago." Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    Hey bro, I'm in the same boat. Had a DUI a long time ago and I'm headed up to Canada in a couple weeks. I just read about a new law that was passed in December 2018 that has me stressing.

https://berardiimmigrationlaw.com/ne...ore-difficult/
    This is what has changed... "As of December 2018, a DUI is a serious crime in Canada and such an offense no longer qualifies for automatic Deemed Rehabilitation after ten years. This significant change is due to the Government of Canada implementing new DUI laws that increased the maximum length of imprisonment to a decade. Consequently, impaired driving offenses are now considered too serious to qualify for Deemed Rehabilitation by virtue of time, and an American with a single DWI can now be denied entry at the Canadian border even if the offense occurred more than ten years ago." Yikes!
    Well shit that's new. Mines more like almost 30 years old. Wonder if there is a new cutoff?.
    Again it's at their discretion. Don't be a dick, be honest, and all should be well.

Crossed into Canada just north of Whitefish on 93. Fully geared out pick up with my dog riding shotgun.

guard: what is your purpose in Canada?
    me: going skiing
    guard: have fun
    me: thanks

Crossed boarder back into the US on 25 north of Spokane.

guard: Where are you coming from?
    me: been skiing
    guard: do you have drugs in the car?
    me: no
    guard 2: What did you say you've been doing in Canada?
    me: skiing
    guard 1: Will you please step out of the vehicle?

They proceed to lock me up in a holding cell with a little window so I can watch them empty the contents of my truck on the pavement. The fun part was watching from the window as they attempted to do it with my 120lb malamute/wolf mix still sitting in the truck. It took a good 5 minutes before they realized they would have to lock him up to. I was released after 30 minutes, the contents of my truck left for me to clean up and all they found was surprise surprise ski gear. Only one other car passed through during my time there so I am assuming they were bored and decided to jack with me.

Given the number of Americans with DUI's the new law strikes me as a backdoor way to keep Americans out of the country, which I get. 10 years for a DUI, sounds like Singapore, although without the caning.

Canada seems VERY concerned with people flooding across their southern border right now. Maybe they will build a wall.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    The fun part was watching from the window as they attempted to do it with my 120lb malamute/wolf mix still sitting in the truck.
    That wouldn't have been fun for me. I'd have been worried they'd shoot him for any aggressive behavior.

If the circumstances were different AD I would be right there with you, I did not get the impression they were trigger happy..........just a little slow in thinking my dog would actually sit there calmly while they ripped his house apart.

You'd sort of think removing animals from a car being searched would be SOP.

Having been skiing in Canada twice for a total of 2 months, I strongly recommend getting DUI history corrected with some sort of proof of rehab... Maybe get documentation of AA meetings or some certificate of rehab completion in hand. It would truly suck to miss out on the best terrain in N America due to not having documentation or proof of “rehab.”

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Crossed into Canada just north of Whitefish on 93. Fully geared out pick up with my dog riding shotgun.

guard: what is your purpose in Canada?
    me: going skiing
    guard: have fun
    me: thanks

Crossed boarder back into the US on 25 north of Spokane.

guard: Where are you coming from?
    me: been skiing
    guard: do you have drugs in the car?
    me: no
    guard 2: What did you say you've been doing in Canada?
    me: skiing
    guard 1: Will you please step out of the vehicle?

They proceed to lock me up in a holding cell with a little window so I can watch them empty the contents of my truck on the pavement. The fun part was watching from the window as they attempted to do it with my 120lb malamute/wolf mix still sitting in the truck. It took a good 5 minutes before they realized they would have to lock him up to. I was released after 30 minutes, the contents of my truck left for me to clean up and all they found was surprise surprise ski gear. Only one other car passed through during my time there so I am assuming they were bored and decided to jack with me.
    I would love to have been in that situation, and have to take a dump. Drive away yelling "I cleaned up your mess now you clean up mine you ignorant fucks". It would be worth not wiping.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Two time loser, made it in no problem thru Calgary customs/immigration. There isn’t much snow up here this spring.

Flew into Vancouver with a 'MERICA! crew last year that included a couple guys with 10+ (closer to 15?) year old DUIs. Nobody was asked about it.

Crossed by car north of Spokane with same crew this year. Nobody was asked about it.

Only difference from last year to this year was our increased awareness that we could get turned back, which made it a bit more "nervy". We were debating best course of action if questioned...deny or be honest. Thankfully didn't come to that. We did think if turned back this year we'd chill for 8-10 hours, then come back and hope for shift change/better results.

The severity of a DUI for Canadians getting one has gone through the roof with MADD campaigns, and a general lack of tolerance for drinking and driving. Teenagers, as a whole now, are very cognizant and they either have a designated driver, or cab/UBER. This isn’t an anti-USA thing at all.

I personally don’t have an issue with the new lack of tolerance. Two neighbourhood teenagers died 6 years ago just as they were headed to university. LAst party of the summer, parents gave every kid a cab chit to get home. The two lads took the cab to one boys car and they ended up racking up at 160 km/hr on a collector inner city street....both died. No sympathy anywhere for their stupidity. The parents of the girl hosting the party were guilt ridden for years. I think in the USA, they’d have been sued. They did not supply the alcohol, and here, drinking age is 18, which they were, so the parents kinda went above and beyond. But the tolerance here for D&D is zero.

But I would agree, if you want free crossing and have a number of years behind you, find a way to get it expunged from your record or otherwise mitigated. As Canadians, we like US dollars being spent here. Give us a reason to let you in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Crossed on Highway 6 in Nelway. I have a DUI from 1987 'plus some'. I didn't even remember most of the 'plus some' but he proceeded to tell me all the bad stuff I did between 1980 and 1987 (from the age of 15 to 22). He said the fact that I had three minor infractions made me inadmissible. However he let me through since the age of the infractions made it impossible to see how the court handled them (whether I was rehabilitated). He let me through but said he had noted my record and I wouldn't be let in again unless I went through the consulate to clear everything up first.

^^^good grief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I think I posted this before, but I worked for the coho ferry between port angeles wa and victoria bc and used to cross a lot. I noticed the main, or I guess only Canadian concern was about me not leaving; and the only US concern was about drugs coming in.

The more frequently I came and went across the border, the less concerned Canada was and the more concerned the US became.

Quote Originally Posted by dufferdan View Post
    But I would agree, if you want free crossing and have a number of years behind you, find a way to get it expunged from your record or otherwise mitigated. As Canadians, we like US dollars being spent here. Give us a reason to let you in!
    A DUI conviction from Washington state can never be expunged, vacated, or sealed, ever. The conviction will be on your record for life. So if it is true that Canada now deems a DUI a serious crime that no longer can be rehabilitated, that means a DUI conviction from Washington State will keep you out of Canada for life.

^i think the key is 'otherwise mitigated'. you have to go through the channels to show that you have met what the requirements in canada are to be rehabilitated for the crime.
    But really, conditions got shitty pretty much right when I crossed the border. i don't see what the big attraction is.

jk - sort of. i really did end up there when conditions were pretty bad. right after everything got warm and all the south slopes started to shit and conditions were at high during my entire stay.
    otoh i had never heard of the okanagan valley. blew my mind.
    I'd love to go back when the mountains can too.