Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Unlikely there will be any Whitewater on this trip. I've spend some time there over the years however and would recommend it. Probably spend one night it Nelson procuring supplies.

How do they even check on this? Is there even some a national data system that they can check or will they have to look at a whole bunch of things if they suspect you. I mean what if someone just forgets to mention it and they really don't know exactly where the person is from. For example what if my homeboy just rolls up with me with his Euro passport and says he is here to go on vacation with me. Do you think they'd check and see his DUI on record in Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    Is there even some a national data system that they can check
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hey FG - this seems a golden opportunity to fly in one-way and then drive back with the crew, no? Bonus is you avoid at least 1/2 of the horrendous drive up to the Canadian Rockies. And if you get denied in Calgary (or Kelowna or wherever) you're the only one impacted and your buddies don't have to leave you at the border.

Recent canada and dui border crossings

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Looks like I'll be crossing in Rykerts

2 couples
    no booze
    Sunday best
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I’ve had the opposite experience. One asshole and you are screwed no matter what though. Or some simpleton not willing to interpreting fuzzy parts of the law.

I forgot my passport and got in thru a real remote border in 2015, guy was just by himself, who would tell him he couldn’t let me in?Just don’t lie for any reason. I’ve always had good luck in small crossings and some bad experiences south of Vancouver.

(And no I didn’t have give him a BJ to get in. )
    Heh, Porthill/Rykerts x’ing was always friendly when I lived in Creston, but I was a regular. Nelway/Metaline Falls always tore my truck apart either direction. Kingsgate/Eastport is the 24hr one and I knew the head guy there - it was a busy x’ing with lots of commercial transport, they followed the book without emotion or prejudice. Got caught behind Rykerts a few times staying too late at the bar or the odd excursion to the Good Grief hotel, and kingsgate officials never hassled a bunch of young scruffies coming through past midnight.

But again, this was over 20yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDead View Post
    How do they even check on this? Is there even some a national data system that they can check or will they have to look at a whole bunch of things if they suspect you. I mean what if someone just forgets to mention it and they really don't know exactly where the person is from. For example what if my homeboy just rolls up with me with his Euro passport and says he is here to go on vacation with me. Do you think they'd check and see his DUI on record in Oregon?
    I've never been asked whether I have a criminal history when I've crossed in BC. I'm guessing they only ask if they come up with a hit on your passport, of if they're profiling you. Get a tight haircut before the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    I've never been asked whether I have a criminal history when I've crossed in BC.
    Have you got one?

Ha! Nope.

Nope.
    Why do you think they don't ask you?

Can shed some info on this...

If you think you may have issues getting into Canada due to past bs you can get an FBI scan of your profile. This should let you know what Canada sees. This is complete bs on the US.gov for allowing CN access to this, but it is what it is. Coming into the US from CN is bs as well. May try to exercise some more rights next time (continuous sensitivity analysis, etc.). Suggest doing this coming and going, at least give a little resistance, practice a little civil disobedience as well. Start small, then escalate if able, but don't over do it.

Ask for a print out of your profile towards the end. After all, it is "your" information.

Why do this? Not everything shows up. You may be gtg. Have your story and be consistent. Make these US gov workers feel bad for what they are subjecting on to you on the way back in. Some do not gaf. Take note of them for future reference, like if you come across them while they are broke down on side of the road.

Questions Canada asked besides the norm:
    Do you have any cannabis and / or paraphernalia?
    Do you have any weapons?
    Do you own any guns? What type?
    Do you own a handgun? What caliber? WHAT CALIBER?
    Do you have any mase?
    Where do you work?
    What company? (One person I talked said they knew his annual income)
    What do you do? Specifically what do you do?

Get used to the interrogation. Play the game. It is real life.

Busy crossings are prob easier.

Notes:
    * they will go though most all your junk, especially if at small crossing (they have nothing to do), but will overlook
    * keep your pocket knives on you or buried in your pack (i.e. they are your "pocket knives" for food / boxes / etc)
    * keep the electronics you take with you to a min and on you (they will check your electronics, my bt radio with sd card did not work after they got done with it, battery would not even charge)
    * don't take efiles with you
    * don't bring fruit or vegetables to / from
    * have bear spray in your gear
    * Carry an axe, shovel, and camping gear

Why would Canuck border officials care about cannabis or related paraphernalia? Edibles perhaps? And FG and co coming through Idaho, not Washington...

Can't bring it in from the USA...

No edibles allowed the guy stated.

Casual convo was, 'thought you legalized it? No, we decriminalized it, but you can't bring it in.'

Huh. Govt selling it for recreational use in Kamloops is only considered decriminalization? I think that official forgot to read the memo. Edibles I can understand, but not bud in the allowed quantities. Must be growing pains...

Edit: you are right. Illegal to transport flower across the border, either direction. Huh.
    https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/cann...ational-travel

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    No edibles allowed the guy stated.

Casual convo was, 'thought you legalized it? No, we decriminalized it, but you can't bring it in.'
    No, we legalized it. But you can't bring it in.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Why do you think they don't ask you?
    Profiling. No record, newer truck, clean cut, white AF, etc. Shifty hippies and "swarthy types" get the business.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Huh. Govt selling it for recreational use in Kamloops is only considered decriminalization? I think that official forgot to read the memo. Edibles I can understand, but not bud in the allowed quantities. Must be growing pains...

Edit: you are right. Illegal to transport flower across the border, either direction. Huh.
    https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/cann...ational-travel
    Had to keep some level of prohibition in order to satisfy the large population of aging social conservatives up here. Once the USA goes Fed. legal things should change in a year or two and it'll be more like booze I'm guessing.

Profiling. No record, newer truck, clean cut, white AF, etc. Shifty hippies and "swarthy types" get the business.
    Nope.

so i have to ditch my weed AND my pipe?? Not gonna happen.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post

Questions Canada asked besides the norm:

Do you have any weapons?
    Conversation I had once going in

Customs Official : "Do you have any weapons?"
    Me : "Well, I have a knife"
    CO : "Do you have any weapons?"
    Me : "I have a knife."
    CO : " Do you have any weapons?"
    Me : "No."
    CO : "OK, you may proceed. Enjoy your stay."

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Conversation I had once going in

Customs Official : "Do you have any weapons?"
    Me : "Well, I have a knife"
    CO : "Do you have any weapons?"
    Me : "I have a knife."
    CO : " Do you have any weapons?"
    Me : "No."
    CO : "OK, you may proceed. Enjoy your stay."
    shouldve stabbed him with the knife and while he/she was bleeding on the floor ask them if they consider it a weapon now?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    shouldve stabbed him with the knife and while he/she was bleeding on the floor ask them if they consider it a weapon now?
    I had to laugh. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I had to laugh. Thanks
    I mean seriously dude was being honest and CO was being a douche to be a douche. I had a US CO do.this to me once long time ago coming back from tiajuana "what country are you a citizen of?" I had id out in hand. Just repeats question. I try again with ID. Obviously I'm wasted it's 4am. He again repeats question finally I say United States and he waves me through. It's like why?
    I will say most of my experiences with COs has been good, but, like anything, always gotta be fools on power trips.
    Obviously not advocating stabbing COs just thought it semi humorous.

Ah, the good old days, prior to 2007, when Canadian border officials didn’t even have sidearms and relied on calling in the RCMP from the nearest town when border crossing meanies threatened them with violence.

Enjoying all the “ Canadian border guards are dicks and US border guards are dicks” talk. Bottom line, they are charged with not letting malevolent actors onto their soil. So caution is the key. As a tourist or traveller to another country, you have no rights other than those granted to you as a non-citizen in the foreign country. A border crossing, you have no rights, going into the foreign jurisdiction. Many people don’t get that.

I include my wife in that category. Years ago, flying to Palm Springs. She packed a lunch. It included a banana. She ticked off she was bringing food stuffs to US. I had previously said, in the post 9-11 world, we were not to take food or anything across immigration. She ignored me. She had a banana. She had to surrender it at immigration. I asked, “why did you do that?” . But she didn’t listen. A f*cking banana. It was March break and we were travelling as a family. We get down OK.

Return trip. The Great Kumquat Affair begins.....

So, my parents have a kumquat tree out back of their place in Palm Springs. My youngest, grade 2 at the time, has taken a shine to these miniature thin skinned oranges and want to take some to his class for “show and tell” . I say no. Day of trip, wife has gone out with kids and collected oranges, lemons, grapefruits and wants to pack a suitcase of these fruits, plus the kumquats back to home. I say no. It makes questions possible. I say no. Discussion....I say you want to take them back, they are in your bag and you can talk to border guards. I am out. So all in wife’s bag. Of course, at 38,000 feet, on descent, she gets cold feet. So I say to all as we disembark, as my father said to a family of six in a Chevy Malibu classic on a cross country junket in 1978, I will do the talking, keep your mouths shut....that ended badly.... Anyways, family under orders, STFU.

Get to Canadian immigration person. “You have citrus...what have you got...” Me: “ oranges, grapefruits, lemons, maybe limes...”....

From behind me comes the “don’t forget the kumquats Dad...the kumquats.....”.....

Border guard leans way over his counter....tells my son to come forward....8 yr old comes up and realizes he has contravened Dad’s command....but to his credit, looks the Border Security agent in the eyes...He asks...” what, is a kumquat?”....My son gives a description....BSA asks “will this intervene in Canada’s Kumquat industry?” .... son is flummoxed....Agent had had his fun...smiled, you may proceed.

I was livid with wife.... But is is a great family story...Great family story...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk