Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I sat for 10 hours at the Lynden border crossing at the end of last May. Nothing to do with a dui but a 15 year old misdemeanor assault. They said as of May this year I’ll be considered rehabilitated and won’t have any more problems. But man that was a painful 10 hours.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    get the record expunged to ensure the best odds.
    I used to do this for money on CO cases. Still do, I guess, just less biz since now the courts will do it for you if your case is dismissed, including by way of deferred. Shameless plug: I can do Mag pricing on everything but the court fees for CO cases. Pretty sure I was already the cheapest game in town. Takes 2-3 months for the whole process.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    I sat for 10 hours at the Lynden border crossing at the end of last May. Nothing to do with a dui but a 15 year old misdemeanor assault. They said as of May this year I’ll be considered rehabilitated and won’t have any more problems. But man that was a painful 10 hours.
    Ive sat a little longer due to work visa issues one visit...word to the wise..NEVER use the word "Work". Always use the word "Meetings" I learned this the hard way. 24ish hours held. Passport taken. Had to stay at the airport hotel until it work visa could be worked out (basically paperwork and $$). Worst experience ever.

No matter where you go, the answer is never work, it's always tourism. Shop for a trinket while you're there if it eases your mind.

You can ask the nice border agent to stamp your passport if you like, usually they'll do it.

I'm still trying to figure out the rules on visit stamps in the EU. Sometimes I fly from Ireland to Geneva, get a stamp. Sometimes not. Friday I flew from the UK to the US, no exit stamp. Only had that hang me up once when a German border agent did not find my most current Ireland entry and wanted to know if I had been in the EU more than 3 months. At least until Brexit though, UK stamps you for 6 months. So if I go through UK to Italy, do I get the 6 months? /sidetrack
    I'm so hot right now!

Quote Originally Posted by hairy asshole View Post
    No matter where you go, the answer is never work, it's always tourism. Shop for a trinket while you're there if it eases your mind.

You can ask the nice border agent to stamp your passport if you like, usually they'll do it.

I'm still trying to figure out the rules on visit stamps in the EU. Sometimes I fly from Ireland to Geneva, get a stamp. Sometimes not. Friday I flew from the UK to the US, no exit stamp. Only had that hang me up once when a German border agent did not find my most current Ireland entry and wanted to know if I had been in the EU more than 3 months. At least until Brexit though, UK stamps you for 6 months. So if I go through UK to Italy, do I get the 6 months? /sidetrack
    "Meetings" works just fine...the word "work" is a nasty 4 letter word. Tourism always works, but when you go 5-6 times a year that can look a little fishy..maybe not if you're close, but coming from Utah it might look a little odd if I didnt have family or something there. Meetings is ok and can be used all the time.

My FWT son and his FWT lady driver got hassled the other day on their way to Kicking Horse. He goes to school in Squamish so has a student visa but wasn't in school since he takes the winter off to compete. They eventually got in. You never know what they'll come up with.

Dan Treadway once told me that other thing you NEVER say at the border is that you're a pro skier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

get the record expunged to ensure the best odds.
    Expunged record does not erase FBI record though so not a sure thing. That said I know a guy with a DUI 30 years ago with an expunged record and he has never had any issues with the Canukistan border gaurds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Expunged record does not erase FBI record though so not a sure thing. That said I know a guy with a DUI 30 years ago with an expunged record and he has never had any issues with the Canukistan border gaurds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    10 years is the forgiveness timeframe on a dui, but i am told they can still choose to enforce it anytime they wish..sure you can put up a stink, and in my one interview that my dui was revealed (26 years ago), I did mention that I checked and their law stated 10 years. This is when I was told they could still enforce it. Maybe it was just a pissy immigration officer blowing smoke cause i pointed out the law, but.....Other than that its never come up...

DUI from 30 years ago often never got entered into electronic records. Found that out with someone who fessed up, only to have the agent say there was nothing on their records check, so welcome to CA.
    I'm so hot right now!

Any update on this? I got a DWAI in Colorado about 12 years ago and am planning on driving into Canada in late March.

What am I supposed to do ahead of time? Anybody to contact of call?

Recent canada and dui border crossings

My recollection is that you must declare the conviction if asked. If 10yrs have passed after the completion of all terms/conditions of the conviction are over (jail, rehab, probation, etc), you have only the single conviction, and your DWAI does not constitute a serious criminal offence (i.e. you killed someone), you may be allowed entry. Less than 10 yrs will likely require applying for rehabilitation status. You probably need the legal discharge paperwork to prove the time period that applies to you.
    I would review the Canada Border Services Agency website and/or a local lawyer who is familiar with the law to make sure your specific case meets the requirements.

Thanks BC. I'll put this here as I start looking into things.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...ction-eng.html

This is a serious main the the ass. Guess I shouldn't have had that 3rd beer at the Rockies game.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ty.html#5312E6

Ya, I think you might qualify under the ‘deemed rehabilitated’ link on the first page you linked. But I am no immigration dental surgeon
    Too late to apply for the rehab if not, so maybe just roll the dice and hope that either they don’t ask, or that the official is receptive to your plea (with your discharge papers, etc, in hand).
    Best of luck!

The dice roll would be extremely stressful as it will be the day before an expensive hut trip with a truck full of my friends. Sounds like us 'mericans just have to figure it out at the border. Time to go up in the attic and start looking for paperwork?

Deemed rehabilitation
    A Canadian immigration officer will decide if you can enter Canada when you apply for a visa, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), or when you arrive at a port of entry.

You may be deemed rehabilitated, depending on:

the crime you committed
    how serious the crime was and how much time has passed since you completed the sentence imposed for your crime:
    10 years for one indictable offence
    five years for two or more summary convictions
    whether you have committed one or more crimes and
    if the crime would be punishable in Canada by a maximum prison term of less than 10 years.
    Find out about:

Being assessed by a visa office
    Being assessed at a Canadian port of entry
    Travelling without applying for rehabilitation
    Self-assessment for deemed rehabilitation
    Being assessed by a visa office
    You do not have to apply to be deemed rehabilitated, but you should be sure you will qualify before you try to enter the country. Otherwise, you could be found inadmissible to Canada when you arrive at the border. It is in your best interest to be assessed by the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your area. This will help ensure you do not travel to Canada only to be refused entry or be subject to other enforcement action.

Note: If you live in the U.S., Canadian visa offices in the U.S. do not use this process. Please see Being assessed at a Canadian Port of Entry.

To be assessed, fill out an application for Rehabilitation but in Section A, check the box “for information only.” (You should also do this if you know you are not eligible to apply, but would like to find out about possible options for entering Canada. See Coming to, or Remaining in Canada Without Approval of Rehabilitation for more information.)

You will not have to pay a processing fee. An officer will review the form and tell you what to do next. You may be asked for other documents, or to attend an interview.

Mail your application to the Canadian visa office responsible for your area.

Your application and any supporting documents will be reviewed to find out if you can be deemed rehabilitated. Some of the factors that will be considered:

how many crimes you committed
    the circumstances and seriousness of each crime
    your behaviour since committing the crime(s)
    your explanation of the crimes and why you are not likely to do it again
    any support you receive from your community
    why you think you are rehabilitated and
    your present situation.
    If you are not deemed rehabilitated, you may apply for individual rehabilitation.

Being assessed at a Canadian Port of Entry
    If you live in the U.S. you may travel to a Canadian Port of Entry and ask to be assessed. You must bring all documents related to your criminal history in support of your claim of being rehabilitated. See which documents you need [Document Checklist - Rehabilitation (PDF, 33 KB) (PDF, 179.76KB)]. An immigration officer at the port of entry will review them to determine if you can be deemed rehabilitated and allowed to enter Canada.

If you are not deemed rehabilitated, you will have to apply for individual rehabilitation at a visa office. If you are not sure you will be deemed rehabilitated at the point of entry, or if you need a visa to enter Canada, you should apply for individual rehabilitation.

Assessment of deemed rehabilitation at a Port of Entry is a completely different process from applying for rehabilitation at a visa office. Visit the website of the office where you will be submitting your application for a list of requirements.

Note: if you do not want to risk being denied entry to Canada or subject to other enforcement action, you should apply according to the visa office’s instructions before approaching the Port of Entry. A fee is required.

If you live overseas, you may also travel without applying, but be aware that you are risking being turned away at the port of entry. See Being assessed by a visa office above to find out how to keep this risk at a minimum.

Self-assessment for deemed rehabilitation
    You are eligible to apply for deemed rehabilitation at a port of entry if:

you only had one conviction in total or committed only one crime
    at least ten years have passed since you completed all sentences (payment of all fees, jail time completed, restitution paid, etc.)
    the crime you committed is not considered a serious crime in Canada AND
    the crime did not involve any serious property damage, physical harm to any person, or any type of weapon.
    A request for deemed rehabilitation is not guaranteed to be approved.

If you think you are eligible, be sure you have these documents if you travel to Canada:

passport or birth certificate plus photo identification
    a copy of court documents for each conviction, and proof that all sentences were completed
    a recent criminal record check
    a recent police certificate from the country where you were convicted and from anywhere you have lived for six (6) months or longer in the last 10 years.
    If you are deemed rehabilitated, you will be allowed to enter Canada if you meet the other requirements. If not, you are still criminally inadmissible and you will not be allowed into Canada.

If you are not deemed rehabilitated, you will have to apply for individual rehabilitation.

Note: If you are not sure if you can be deemed rehabilitated or want to know if you are criminally inadmissible before you travel to Canada, you should apply as described. You must apply well in advance of your trip as routine applications can take six months or more to process.

Might want to travel in a separate vehicle. So one, if you are denied, your friends remain friends, and two, one of your bros doesn’t inadvertently make an inappropriate quip or other faux pas while the agent is reviewing your case.

My FWT son and his FWT lady driver got hassled the other day on their way to Kicking Horse. He goes to school in Squamish so has a student visa but wasn't in school since he takes the winter off to compete. They eventually got in. You never know what they'll come up with.

Dan Treadway once told me that other thing you NEVER say at the border is that you're a pro skier.
    I was actually thinking about this as I was watching FWT highlights on youtube in Logan waiting to come home.

Also, when you tell customs people you were there because of a death in the family, you go through much faster.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Might want to travel in a separate vehicle. So one, if you are denied, your friends remain friends, and two, one of your bros doesn’t inadvertently make an inappropriate quip or other faux pas while the agent is reviewing your case.
    Not a bad idea but not too practical since I live about 1,000 miles from the border.

Was it a true DUI conviction or reduced charge- ie reckless driving? An anecdotal add, it’s my friend group think and experience that if you’re 10+ from conviction you’re ok. I’ve been admitted (multiple times) starting at 7-8 yrs after a reckless.. Though I don’t pull up to the border with dudes who look like they’re baked and unkempt. 1 guest passenger max or you’re the passenger in someone else’s vehicle. Driver of carload with DUI - have a backup plan
    Also don’t bring booze over. You can, but don’t think it will help your case.

My experience is a couple decades dated now, but when I lived closer to the border in SE BC, I always experienced greater variability in level of hassle at the smaller crossings. The larger 24hr stations seemed more consistent and business-like. The smaller crossings could be bright, cheerful and easy to talk to, or looking to liven up their day and make someone pay for being stationed in bumfuck nowhere. Maybe that has changed, but I would target the larger crossings with staff that are better trained and with more experience.

Looks like I'll be crossing in Rykerts

2 couples
    no booze
    Sunday best

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    My experience is a couple decades dated now, but when I lived closer to the border in SE BC, I always experienced greater variability in level of hassle at the smaller crossings. The larger 24hr stations seemed more consistent and business-like. The smaller crossings could be bright, cheerful and easy to talk to, or looking to liven up their day and make someone pay for being stationed in bumfuck nowhere. Maybe that has changed, but I would target the larger crossings with staff that are better trained and with more experience.
    I’ve had the opposite experience. One asshole and you are screwed no matter what though. Or some simpleton not willing to interpreting fuzzy parts of the law.

I forgot my passport and got in thru a real remote border in 2015, guy was just by himself, who would tell him he couldn’t let me in?Just don’t lie for any reason. I’ve always had good luck in small crossings and some bad experiences south of Vancouver.

(And no I didn’t have give him a BJ to get in. )

Where are you going to FG?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

http://www.vmt.ca/ followed by Revelstoke, Banff, Big Sky and what ever other IKON locations look good...hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    http://www.vmt.ca/ followed by Revelstoke, Banff, Big Sky and what ever other IKON locations look good...hopefully.
    Nice.. I'd highly recommend paying for some lift tickets in Whitewater and spending time in Nelson while you're in that part of the world.

Big Sky in Feb on our Ikons. My first time there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........