Dynafit Broadpeak poles? Experiences?

A bit dumb to even ask about something as simple as poles, but what the hell, this is TechTalk..

So, anyone used the said Dynafit ST 100% Carbon Broad Peak poles (who the fuck invented that short and catchy name?) ?

More concerned about the durability and how their fliplock copy works? They are expensive as fuck but if they would take the 5 years of abuse that the BDs took,the why the hell not?

Have a pair of old and totally beat up BD probe poles but they would need some repairing & replacing for missing bits. Never particulary enjoyed their heavy swing weight either, felt
    a bit weird compared to other lighter versions. Sooo, anyone have had them?

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

A ski partner has had them for a while and likes them. He's broken one lower shaft, but he breaks stuff all the time so I doubt that means anything - Salewa warranteed it, but it took a while to arrive. Adjustment mechanism seems fine, and they have notches in the lower to keep the pole from adjusting too far in either direction.

Not sure it's a better choice than the Black Diamond Pure Carbon, which is $20 cheaper in the US (price discrepancy may not exist in Europe) . . .

No experience with that pole. MH.

However I broke a BD pure CF pole in a season. Mumbled something about warranty at the shop and got laughed at. I fixed it myself, but then a sledder them from a local trail head when I drove off and forgot it.

Be careful whacking you boot with a pure CF pole. Actually, only Duke/Barron users seem to endlessly beat the shit out of their boot with their pole before stepping in. And I doubt many Baron/Duke users care about having a CF pole.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I broke a BD pure CF pole in a season. Mumbled something about warranty at the shop and got laughed at.
    Not sure about shipping to Japan or Europe, but in the States you can just order parts for almost any BD pole (pretty reasonable prices, too) and have them in a few days. And don't beat your boot with any pole, I've seen plenty of aluminum ones break.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...ki/spare-parts

I wish At local criminal prices in Japan, the section that required replacing was close to half the price of a new set of poles.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Not sure about shipping to Japan or Europe, but in the States you can just order parts for almost any BD pole (pretty reasonable prices, too) and have them in a few days. And don't beat your boot with any pole, I've seen plenty of aluminum ones break.

Ewww... I am not a pole beater!! My steeze is the boot vs. boot style,thats how I roll..

Checked the spare part for the pole and it was in the range of 45-50€. So considering doing some ghetto repairing for it and getting a Condor upper part.
    So, prolly will get the dynafits for everyday skiing/longer tours and relegate the BDs for mountaineering stuff.

Ive only fondled them but the adjustement mechanism seems pretty good and as bombproof as a 6oz pole can be and they are super light with really nice swing weight.

Buddy bought a pair for his misses.
    Yeah they're pretty spendy but genius strategy really cos now he can buy a bunch of gear for himself without consequences.
    She's used them every day skiing, resort and touring all season and seem to be as good as new. She's a pole-boot beater too!

ok,recap... tried 3 different poles in shops...

wtf?

All the poles had a "slop" in them, like shaking them if you would ski. flop-flop-flop...
    the lower part of the shaft moving when swinging the poles. not that it matters to the performance or anything, but felt really damn weird .

dynafit have designed the poles so that they have a slot in the lower carbon every 5cm, so when you adjust the poles, you have to adjust them by those incriments. and the play in the the slot/claw makes the slop & flex... no adjustment seemed to get rid of the play. seriously,wtf?? i would rather ski with two frozen turds than that kind of sticks...

dont understand why they didnt use the the flip switch bd/all the rest uses.

/rant

I can see why you'd want notches (hypothetically), but as long as the systems without notches work fine, there's just no reason for it. And then, if the mechanism's sloppy... at that price... screw it, get something else.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    A ski partner has had them for a while and likes them. He's broken one lower shaft, but he breaks stuff all the time so I doubt that means anything - Salewa warranteed it, but it took a while to arrive.

Curious if it broke at one of the notches?

Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    Mumbled something about warranty at the shop and got laughed at.

Next time call B.D. direct. They are exceptionally fair with warranty claims.

FYI - B.D. has a new a new multi-link locking mechanism for their adjustable poles coming out next year.

Quote Originally Posted by rug wheelie View Post
    Curious if it broke at one of the notches?
    No, it broke lower down on the shaft.

Same experience... loved these poles but broke two lower shafts...Salewa sent me replacements but it was still a hassle so I gave up on them......made me cry..... I loved those poles but they just didn't last..both breakages were in fairly moderate situations.
    I'd use them for a special weight weenie trip but not everyday in the BC.
    My.02c
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

I just picked up a pair of leki tour vario at the rei attic they seem pretty solid if not super light.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I have broken these Dynafit carbon poles no less than 3 times. I broke the tip in the volcano og the binding, and the lower shaft twice. I have since switched to aluminum BD poles.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

bump, any more experiences? any changes to the broad peak for this season?

i've owned various carbon adj poles from BD and LifeLink...right now my favorite adj pole is the DPS carbon. has held up very well so far. however I still take the BD's when a whippet is needed.

guess i'm saying the DPS is plenty light, stiff, and (so far) strong, so I haven't bothered checking out the dynafits.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    bump, any more experiences? any changes to the broad peak for this season?
    And another bump for any add'l feedback!

Also, any experience with these poles? --
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/tre...arbon-1913.asp
    (Hard to Google, since the name is so generic...)

And while I'm at it, why do the new BD cf poles for 2012-13 weigh more than some alu poles?

I transferred my ancient Grivel Condor self-arrest grip from an even more ancient pair of first-generation BD Traverse poles onto the latest Boundary poles, since the diameter is identical, and it looked pretty strong, which is important for that kind of application.

But for regular backcountry ski poles, my second-generation Traverse poles are 1 lb 4.8 oz per pair, the latest four-generation Traverse is 1 lb 4.6 oz, and the latest Pure Carbon is 1 lb 5.2 oz -- looks like they went all out for low deflection and durability, but having a cf pole weigh more than an alu pole seems really backwards?
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

That's why I haven't upgraded my BC poles in years other than to replace the lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    And another bump for any add'l feedback!

Also, any experience with these poles? --
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/tre...arbon-1913.asp
    (Hard to Google, since the name is so generic...)

And while I'm at it, why do the new BD cf poles for 2012-13 weigh more than some alu poles?

I transferred my ancient Grivel Condor self-arrest grip from an even more ancient pair of first-generation BD Traverse poles onto the latest Boundary poles, since the diameter is identical, and it looked pretty strong, which is important for that kind of application.

But for regular backcountry ski poles, my second-generation Traverse poles are 1 lb 4.8 oz per pair, the latest four-generation Traverse is 1 lb 4.6 oz, and the latest Pure Carbon is 1 lb 5.2 oz -- looks like they went all out for low deflection and durability, but having a cf pole weigh more than an alu pole seems really backwards?