Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SHAMES 2012 - Not Utah, Not Colorado

In Early January 2012 a weather station W of Terrace located in a station 5m above ground was lost. Buried by a storm. The station is 700m (that's 2300ft in American or 84 cubits if you're some other uncivilized non-metric country). At 1500m, the snowpack is double. At 2000m the snowpack triples.

It's now March and avalanche technicians working in N Central BC haven't slept all that much as storm after storm after storm has laid waste to the North Coast.

Snowpack peaks in April. By then Avvy techs will be completely burnt out and will need all the kegs you can ship up here.

The first blue sky seen this calendar year did not appear till 110 days into the New Year and four splitters made the most of it by gutting every collection zone they could find and then straightlining the sluff deposition

More to come over the next few days while we try to drown some visiting Americans in pow who have made the mistake of only bringing 3m snorkels

Ahhh, shit. I knew I should've sacked for the 12 hour plane ride and not let the lack of quality prostitutes deter me.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

awesome! my guy is working in terrace right now and didn't bring his gear because he is working every day. he might need to bring it on his next trip up though.

looks like you hit it.
    If you need a pg pit stop, there is a cream horn source, lemme know we have space.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Skibee and I leave for terrace on Sunday am. Skiing with northern escape heli tues to fri. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Skibee and I leave for terrace on Sunday am. Skiing with northern escape heli tues to fri. Can't wait!
    Bring ski boots as hand luggage just in case Air Canada decides to lose your check in.

moosepit - we took our chances and flew this time

Red face

Sweetness! Saw those tracks on Geronimo last week and was impressed. Glad they got it on vid! Welcome Lee, have fun with the yanks! Welcome all! (Sorry bout the lack of quality prostitutes mr. strummer) mtnlion - well done, say hi to John for me.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

driving from banff cuz we have the time. So I can bring my skis, and everything else I want to

So that's what Keystone looks like, sick!
    Don't Blame me, I voted for JoJo

Damn. Looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

FKNA dude!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

it was an honor to have that splitter pay my mortgage for a month.

Hate to sound like a curmudgeon, but it's easy to get excited about snow when you don't have to deal with it on a daily basis. That is a crazy shot of that building. Amazing it is still standing. What elevation?
    off your knees Louie

engineered for some huge ass snowload. impressive . thanx

"I'm going to clear the snow off the roof. Here, hold my beer."
    I'll be the hyena, you'll see.

Somebody needs to build a booter to get a skier on top of that thing. That would be an insane shot!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Smithers is only 2 hours away. Dry and windswept. I need to move.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

I think that Shames stole EVERYONES snow.
    We are filing a class action suit for snow theft.
    Life is what happens between the things you plan.

That's on the Kitimat - Terrace Pass at 1300m so kind of still low. Right around treeline. Alpine would be 2x that snowpack. Steelframe and aluminium sheath. It's a very well built two storey building - fine Alcan construction

Shames is at

Quote Originally Posted by gwat View Post
    Smithers is only 2 hours away. Dry and windswept. I need to move.
    Terrace guys been telling Smithers guys that for a long time now!

wowsers!

Some pictures from today. Did a couple runs of the Prayer Flags slackcountry partially t-bar served then over to No Dogs.

Chris and Rob join us. Four years ago Chris was taking a sabbatical from starting up a company and responded to a post on an internet forum from Terrace local Gary M who needed someone to house-sit. Gary mentioned Shames. Chris said "huh" and proceeded to google. A week later Chris was on a plane, Gary met him, stayed with him for one day, gave him house keys and Chris skied his brains out for 4 months. Chris hasn't been the same since. Since then his startup company has been wildly successful and he's managed to finangle some work and business in the area. This weekend's visit is a business trip. Him and Rob are enjoying every minute of their on-hill meetings.

I bump into Matt & Heather on the skintrack and proceed to do an impromptu interview. Both 1.5 year Terrace locals, Matt is a reformed ski-bum who's spent time in Japan and Interior BC while Heather came from Vancouver and small-town Ontario. Both wanted a small town lifestyle but wanted to ski lots. Although both are professionals (Matt is a teacher and Heather a physiotherapist), they didn't want inter-generational mortgages; Matt found the $ 150,000 price for a modern duplex to be reasonable. They've found the community to be welcoming, the lack of secret stash mentality among local skiers to be refreshing and the absence of us against them mentality in the town to be genuine. They're both here to stay.

Matt - happy to be back from acl surgery. Heather - happy that Matt is no longer pouting on the couch

Rob on the Prayer Flags. 50m skin for 250m down then back to the T-bar cat-track

Sharon - No Dogs

Gav - No dogs

Wilkes levitating
    Last edited by LeeLau; 03-10-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Aw damn. Looks like a blast. My buds are tented up in the parking lot. I was supposed to be there schralping this pow with them but schralped my knee instead and they left without me.
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

Matt is living the life!