Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Colleges with Photography Degrees?

Are there any in ski country? I know Bozeman has a photography option, what the hell does that mean? I think I want to be a professional photag, in fact I'm pretty sure
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

The school I graduated from has one but it's not in ski country.

www.rit.edu

meats of evil is in the photo program at Utah State. for little logan UT they actually have some pretty decent art programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch
    The school I graduated from has one but it's not in ski country.
    Rochester isn't one of the most scenic place in the world. Especially the RIT campus. But the Photo prog is excellent.

Are you saying Bristol isn't skiing?
    Elvis has left the building

yeah surprisingly logan is somewhat of art mecca. Although it lacks slightly in culture. I know the photog professers at USU and they are great. Craig law is an amazing nature photographer. We are 30 min from the local hill, 60 to snowbasin and powder mountain and about 90 from the cottonwoods.

Santa Barbara, CA and Rochester, NY are your best programs.

Boulder, CO has programs.
    Colorado Mountain College - Rifle and Glenwood Springs have 2yr technical degrees.

Don't they have cameras in AK?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You can take lots of blurry and out-of-focus pictures at Montana State.

Their "option" is pretty much a minor within your major - for example, I, in my history degree, could have pursued the "teaching option", which would have had me taking less history classes and more education classes, along with student teaching.

For that section, I'd believe your degree would be in the "Media and Theare Arts", with the photography option. Instead of it being a photo degree, which it still is, it's labelled an MTA degree w/ the photo minor.

That's my best guess to explain the course catalog's wording...the registrar's office or new student services would have a much better explanation. Slippy of Team13 might know a little too, I think he was an MSU film school guy too - it's the same College, the College of Media and Theatre Arts. All my experience with them is the one Photo103 class I took from them, in which I got a "D". That ended my photo dreams real quick.

You can call the "ask us" desk at (406) 994-INFO (4636), and they can give you the numbers for pretty much anybody on campus.

Department Head's name is Paul Monaco.

You owe me for 1 SEMESTER Tuition!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

AKPM: what kind of photography are you interested in exactly?

CJ: when you know, love, and want real mountains. . bristol is pretty painful. although better than, say, louisiana for skiing im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx
    CJ: when you know, love, and want real mountains. . bristol is pretty painful. although better than, say, louisiana for skiing im sure.
    Santa Cruz, CA to 4 years in Rochester was painful on so many levels.

AKPM, Lynx asks probably the most important question in deciding what and where you should go/do! Because photographers generally specialize in a certain field. It depends whether your in a studio, out in the field, or if you
    need to be part of a certain network (this generally means that you have to slave on someone elses behalf for a few years before anybody will listen to you or look at your work ;and if you want to slave for a notable individual you need a good education and more importantly a good portfolio)
    For some very successful people, spending several tens of thousands on an education is better spent on equipment, film, and travel! Good luck
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

You sure you really want to be a professional photographer? Photography is a great hobby, but it strikes me as a tough career. I'm sure there are lots of wedding photogs that make good money, but something tells me that's not the direction you'd want to take. Not to say you can't make a living from it, but you really have to be good.

By the way, if you're interested in learning more about nature/adventure photography buy one of Galen Rowell's books. He has several "how-to" type books. The dude was (he and his wife died in a plane crash) incredible.
    Last edited by The AD; 01-28-2005 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Santa Cruz, CA to 4 years in Rochester was painful on so many levels.
    i think the only thing that saved me was joining the ski team, if just for simply being on any kind of snow 4 days a week and having other ski obsessed weirdos to talk to.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f
    Rochester isn't one of the most scenic place in the world. Especially the RIT campus. But the Photo prog is excellent.

Are you saying Bristol isn't skiing?
    I taught at Bristol for a season. That was the most painful experience I have ever had on skis. I would actually go inside some days and watch TV rather than ski on my free time.
    My senior year one of my fraternity brothers and I bought American Ski Company College passes and made the 8 hour drive to Sugar Bush every Friday night. We would get to the parking lot around 7am sleep for an hour ski all day then drive to a hostel by Killington. Ski K-mart Sunday and drive my to Rochester that night.
    Last edited by Lurch; 01-28-2005 at 01:03 AM.

The most fun I ever had at bristol was a commando mission after it closed for the night involving plastic sleds down

Emily Carr Institute of Design -- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography

http://www.eciad.ca/www/programs/bfa_photography.html

Based in Vancouver BC, 1.5 hr to Whistler where for $400 as a student you can ski puddles all season. Or 1.5hr to baker where you can ski dirt

Be sure to note the portfolio requirements.

Honestly if you are seriously interested in shooting pics for a living, you are probally better off getting a degree in something othan than photographer, and save the money you would of spent on photo school and use it to buy your self some good gear and teach your self by shooting. Photo schools really only teach you the basics about technique and they donw realy help to develop a photographic eye. The only way you are going to become a better photog is to shoot more pics.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    You sure you really want to be a professional photographer? Photography is a great hobby, but it strikes me as a tough career. I'm sure there are lots of wedding photogs that make good money, but something tells me that's not the direction you'd want to take. Not to say you can't make a living from it, but you really have to be good.
    And wedding photography is a once in that moment event. You can't go back and call do over on the bride walking up the aisle if you miss the shot. Talk about stress...

I freelance for a local paper here and make a whopping $3 per picture published. Good thing I'm in it for the love of photography and not the money.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    Honestly if you are seriously interested in shooting pics for a living, you are probally better off getting a degree in something othan than photographer, and save the money you would of spent on photo school and use it to buy your self some good gear and teach your self by shooting. Photo schools really only teach you the basics about technique and they donw realy help to develop a photographic eye. The only way you are going to become a better photog is to shoot more pics.
    Not that I am a photog, but he^^ is, and a hell of one, as we all know. Get a business degree and shoot on the side to develop your skills. With a business degree you are guranteed something to fall back on, plus it will help you to market yourself as a photog and will help your personel finances. Plus it is one of the easier majors, which will leave you time on the side to shoot more, and you can finally start to drink.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

I see what AKPM is up to. Being a "photographer" gets you creds with hot models. Hot models like "photographers". Good on ya AKPM. Thats using your noggin. Been watch late night skinamax again?

To all you who dis Rochacha. Can you get a Garbage Plate anywhere else in this country? How about Country Sweet wings? Mmmmmmmm Country Sweet[/Homer drool]

It might not be the prettiest place in the world, but it is an adventure in dining.

school is overrated for a photag career.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    I wish I would have taken some studio classes. My studio lighting skills are worthless. Learning some eariler would have helped.
    Whatever you do make sure that you take some buisness classes. I wish I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog
    To all you who dis Rochacha. Can you get a Garbage Plate anywhere else in this country? How about Country Sweet wings? Mmmmmmmm Country Sweet.
    It is also the home of the most stuck up girls in the country. Too many Rochacha girls at my college- vast majority of them were total bitches.

Edit- not to mention the home of Genesse Cream Ale.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Answering the question: Fort Lewis College in Durango, CO. A buddy of mine got a photography degree there, and although his portfolio is gorgeous... now he's waiting tables like most photographers. Tough field to make a living in is an understatement.

MBS, you telling me you never took a photo course? I think AKPM needs all the help in the basics (Shutter/Fstop/Focal length, etc.) he can get. I also disagree w/the whole school of thought that says you either have the eye or don't. Photography, especially news and sport (not fine art) photography, CAN be learned. It's not just about raw talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Photography, especially news and sport (not fine art) photography, CAN be learned.
    photojournalism: f/8 and be there.