Concussion question

This summer I experienced my second concussion that resulted in unconsciousness. This time I was out for about 3 hours before I came to. Tripped going to.the outhouse and cranked my head on a tree. Figured that out by finding a chunk of my scalp and hair on said tree. Anyway, whats the deal with long term damage? Definitely struggled for about a week after. Would leave grocery store and wander around the parking lot not even realizing I drove, let alone what vehicle it was... Also would occasionally get "stuck" while talking, like a skipping record. Still have memory issues. Advice? Opinion? Is this going to get worse?
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums
    You ask me why I make my home in the mountain forest, and I smile, and am silent, even my soul remains quiet: it lives in the other world which no one owns. The peach trees blossom. The water flows.
    ---Li Po

Sounds lie you have symptoms of post concussive syndrome. Go find a neurologist that specializes in concussive injury have them evaluate your brain.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Seek professional medical attention(I wouldn't wait) ... Do not drive.

Good luck.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    One thing I've read recently in and around the whole Sidney Crosby thing is the idea of the brain getting rest for an extended period. While the idea of physical rest is well known they are talking about no mental strain for whatever period as well. That's where the professional advice the first two posters suggested with haste comes in.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

To be clear, this happened in September. I did go to the hospital trauma unit for cat scan xray and all kinds of fun things. But I did not see a neurologist. Fuzzy recollection of that period of time but I don't think I did. I get the point of brain rest. Unfortunately I am a chef and at that time I still had 2 kitchens and a banquet team to manage, so no rest. So sounds like I should go and see a neurologist?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums
    You ask me why I make my home in the mountain forest, and I smile, and am silent, even my soul remains quiet: it lives in the other world which no one owns. The peach trees blossom. The water flows.
    ---Li Po

A neuropsyche exam would probably be your best bet for assessing cognitive function and recovery/post-concussion syndrome.

It can be a slow, frustrating recovery curve, months or even more than a year. Long term, the biggest thing is to avoid getting more concussions down the line. Learned that the hard way.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Are you sure they didn't send the CT images to a neuroradiologist? Even though you didn't "see" a neurologist, one might have consulted remotely. It would be in your release paperwork. My Dad recently suffered a concussion and never "saw" a neurologist, but they sent images to one to look at and give an impression.

Out for 3 hours? Shit. I sincerely hope it was the middle of the night or you were drunk (or both), so part of that time was merely sleeping vs. actual unconciousness.

However, based on what I've read (I had two concussions in one month in high school playing soccer so I've taken an interest), I would expect any related issues with memory to improve vs. getting worse.

PCS may take Many Months to resolve. Search this forum for more info there is one in particular you should read. It is likely the longest one.

Yes go see a neurologist. There is emerging research on the use of medications and graded exercise to help with PCS.

Fighting gravity on a daily basis
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    Sounds lie you have symptoms of post concussive syndrome. Go find a neurologist that specializes in concussive injury have them evaluate your brain.
    This is good advice.

You need to be very, VERY, carefull not to have another head injury in the interim.

I've had several concussions. The more you have, the more susceptible you are. Be very careful going forward. Wear a helmet when you ski, avoid roller coasters and other high-g activities for a while.

One of my concussions resulted in complete short term memory loss. It took a couple of weeks for me to start regaining my memory, several months to recover fully. I saw neurologists, etc. Nothing they could do for me.

These things take time to heal. If you're going to get better, it will likely take a while.

I'm not familiar with using drugs and exercise as mentioned by Vinman above, but even if a neurologist doesn't prescribe those things they can guide you on when (and if) it's safe to resume activities that risk another head injury. It's possible that a neurologist might want to repeat the headscan to look for a chronic subdural.

I posted a question last summer about PCS. I suffered my 4th last summer in a light car accident and was very concussed for almost 2 months. Experienced noticeable symptoms up to 6 months and just over 9 months I am calling myself 95% to 100%.

Symptoms can vary among individuals. If you haven't already certainly visit a neurologist. They may or may not elect to run tests. Regardless, I found that rest, more rest, and listening to your body tell you when your brain is tired are the best things for you. My voice would become quite and I would slur my words. Obvious signs to shut up and hit the couch.

Regardless, allow time and take it easy. I'm not sure of any meds. I was prescribed something and I took it one night and I felt awful the next day.

Good luck with your recovery.