Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Then you are ignorant of the facts.
    OK, you call it ignorance... I call it conservative on my estimates regarding survival time. I'm not expecting that after 30min I'll get dug up, throw a few high fives, thank a few guys, and slam some cold snacks back at the parking lot. I get the feeling there is a number of wannabes on here that expect that to happen because they turned on their beacon and they carry a shovel and a probe, and ya know since its safety equipment it'll just keep me safe on its own.

Let me put it a different way... whatever chance of survival you have, putting a 457 on your dog basically HALVES your chances in a you+dog burial.
    So does that mean in a multiple burial scenario, where you come in on the chopper with other SAR members... that you guys can't handle more than one beacon signal at the scene of an avalanche? You can't flag the first beacon found, and while digging out that first found beacon, you can't have the other SAR members start looking for the second? Again, I'm not asking you to come help. I'm not expecting you to come help. I'm on my own. Just rogue as fuck slaying mad lines with my gopro rolling so I can post it up on here and listen to the collective critique my hand position on pole plants.

Horseshit. That is not an acceptable protocol anywhere. You are an extreme outlier. It isn't about risk acceptance, it is about ignorance.
    Because you know what everyone's doing. You know what's in everyone's pack. You know what everyone's thinking. You know everyone's intentions and how they should all be behaving and acting and thinking and using their equipment.

I get your points SUMMIT, but different strokes for different folks. I'm not your touring partner and that's cool for both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Like fuck. this entire conversation is so mind boggling....
    Yeah this is mind boggling that someone does something different based on their own perspective and their own values.
    You don't like what I do... thats fine. My choices have zero effect on you. Worst case scenario, you read on a website that some skier and his dog died and you think "I wonder if that was the idiot that put a beacon on his dog?"

My apologies in advance if my multiple beacons on my multiple pieces of kit hinder any rescue and recovery efforts. but ya know, different protocol for different groups. so fuck it with what is globally accepted as standard practice. I am probably dead, so fuck the world.
    Globally accepted as standard practice? Multiple beacons all over my gear? Good job taking it to the extreme to get your point across. Its a dog not an inanimate object. Have you traveled the globe to poll everyone on their best practices for touring in the bc? Shit, there's fucking sherpas out there that don't know what a fucking beacon is. I sure as hell hope they get their act together and poll the globe on what is accepted as standard practice.

I'm not asking any of you to tour with me (yeah yeah, you wouldn't anyway). I'm not asking any of you to watch my back when I go out. I'm not asking any of you to come find me if something bad happens. So it really doesn't matter that I put a beeper on my pup so I can find him if something happens... if he falls in a hole, or a tree well, or gets hurt and I can't see him, or something else happens.

Would you put a becon your Ski-doo?
    No, its already on my dog... and I'm not doo fan.

I feel like a lot of this discussion belongs in the gapper thread.
    Yeah... good call. Maybe a few of the gapers out there woulda had a little more info than the Pieps manual in regards to the original question about the Error Message my beacon was throwing.
    "That's what she said."

PIEPS DSP Error on Startup (E22, E23)

You are a total idiot, I just read the old part of this thread and now I realize there is no value in any debate with you. You consistently fail to acknowledge any of the valid points raised and this spans 6 years. Fuck man, a cost effective product exists that meets ur needs AND removes all the risk. What's your malfunction?

Your entire argument is based on 2 assumptions, 1. You are so expert and disciplined you will never expose yourself to any Avalanche risk. 2. You, your dog and touring partner are so expertly trained, that you will never falter in a crisis scenario, or when some one is injured... break your dogs leg and see how well he obeys your commands.... and your touring partner? Well he has no issue with your dog blinking...so, clearly he is top notch.

It doesn't even remotely register with you that not a single person has supported your thesis? Sadly, for some people, some one has die or be seriously injured before they are capable of realizing how fucked their own operating procedure is... I don't wish that upon anyone and you are such a fucking moron you will probably live for ever... but this thread is a valuable learning tool for people who actually listen.

And the answer to your question was in the manual you fuck tard. Again begging the question, if you clearly know so much why can't you read?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    You are a total idiot...

...fucking moran...

...fuck tard...
    Thanks. Way to keep it classy. I'll try my best to fall in line and follow the globally accepted procedures for touring in the backcountry so I can get your approval... And I'll make sure to never question anything from anyone on this board. I mean after all, this board is the globally accepted "know it all" place for everything skiing related.

And I did read the manual smart guy. But I thought, just for a split second, that maybe someone with more experience using PIEPS products could chime in with a little extra nugget of knowledge about the error code, and maybe there was a firmware update or known issue with this particular model that caused it to throw the code more frequently. So my most insincere apologies for asking a question.

See ya in 6 years when this shitshow pops up in another google search. LOL
    "That's what she said."

Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    So does that mean in a multiple burial scenario, where you come in on the chopper with other SAR members... that you guys can't handle more than one beacon signal at the scene of an avalanche? You can't flag the first beacon found, and while digging out that first found beacon, you can't have the other SAR members start looking for the second?
    We can handle a lot of signals... as long as they aren't moving around (like a panicked/injured dog) as that would make things potentially difficult.

Let me give you an example: let's say you and your dog are buried at 2m and 1.5m respectively, and two rescuers arrive on scene and detect both signals...

They go to the first signal, one draws a probe while the other does the fine search... probe strike at 1.5m... shovels! They are gonna dig up your dog. After they spend a bunch of time and energy on that, then they'll go find the second signal (you) and dig you up at 2m but now your chances of being alive are MUCH lower.

OR

They acquire your signal first, probe strike 2.0m. You get triaged and your signal flagged because you are at 2.0m and the rescuers smartly go to the other beacon signal, probe it at 1.5m, and spend time digging up your dog... then come back to dig you up all tired.

I'm not asking any of you to come find me if something bad happens.
    You don't have a choice in the matter. Most backcountry travelers WILL come to your aid if they safely can because that is the backcountry ethic. SAR has to come find you. So you want a beacon on your dog... and they make beacons specifically for that purpose to avoid the problems mentioned... are you really such a cheap skate not to get one? Is your survival worth so little? Or is there some other reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    Thanks. Way to keep it classy. I'll try my best to fall in line and follow the globally accepted procedures for touring in the backcountry so I can get your approval... And I'll make sure to never question anything from anyone on this board. I mean after all, this board is the globally accepted "know it all" place for everything skiing related.

And I did read the manual smart guy. But I thought, just for a split second, that maybe someone with more experience using PIEPS products could chime in with a little extra nugget of knowledge about the error code, and maybe there was a firmware update or known issue with this particular model that caused it to throw the code more frequently. So my most insincere apologies for asking a question.

See ya in 6 years when this shitshow pops up in another google search. LOL
    Yup, I got off side . I will give you that.

You are the know it all. This thread started what.. 4 years after you just started touring...steep learning curve, knowing nothing to everything in 4 yrs? You are building a heuristic trap with this belief of yours. If you asked any Avalanche professional about their beliefs on dog with beacons on the same frequency as humans, you would get an overwhelmingly similar response... and without a greater and more readily accessible authority, the TGR community would seem to agree...

Stay safe out there.
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

This is insane. Why would you not use the product designed for this specific purpose? It literally has no drawbacks to your situation. I cannot believe that anyone would accept the risk of skiing with you and your dog. This whole thread is mind boggling. I'm really only chiming in here in hopes that if enough people point it out to you, you might see that you are taking a foolish unnecessary risk.

what kind of dog is it?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

... not to mention the big fuck you to whoever gets to dig out an alive dog and a dead person...

Hope I never have to do that whether it's in my party or not, that would be fucking devestating.

Like summit said. You're not asking anyone for shit, but people will come to your aid. Hell, it's taught in the first avalanche course you can take in BC.

Good rule to live by when climbing... but definitely applies here: "don't die cuz you're cheap."

Woulda taken less time to find this dog if it was wearing a beacon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTDwJesHFtg
    "That's what she said."