Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SIA 2005 pics

SIA 2005 pics

I just posted them on Biglines.com under "gear" starting with post # 32884.

Lazy.

What's the deal with the wood grain volkl and the fat AK ski?

Thumbs up

That Volkl line looks SICK!!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tomorrow"

Moment skis

Is there something wrong with the fact that I know more about the 2006 skis than the manager of my shop?
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Plakespear
    Is there something wrong with the fact that I know more about the 2006 skis than the manager of my shop?

Nop. Im in the same boat.

Any pics of the new Look/Rossi pivot binding?

The Stockli SS, XL and AT topsheet seem to have an older Iggy look to them in the front. The DP looks pretty cool.

So, are toepiece only bindings the hot item for 2006?

And can I get them with a DIN up to 18?
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Wow, some of the skis look good...Volkl, 4Front...others, well, you can tell companies like Buzzard are still stuck in '85
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by shamrockpow
    What's the deal with the wood grain volkl and the fat AK ski?
    We've been testing the AK Skis 06 line the last week. The King Salmon is a friggen great ride. But be warned he is one stiff SOB. Very smooth ride, but if you hit boiler plate ice and you don't have a wide stance to get some edge grip you will end up buttering it.

The Hyper Pros made alot of the testers top 3 list of skis so far. Same with the new No Ka Oi's. Alot of use are druling over the new race skis. Varoooooommmm

I have captions and explainations on biglines.com

Volkl has had some nice looking rides 2 years running. Although they tried to do the grunged texture on the look on the karma and they let their pattern repeat. Sick looking ski, just don't repeat. I also like how their logo is slightly different per ski too based on the style of the ski the logo is on. Cool to see a company give the designer that flexibility. They all look good.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ.Brk
    Alot of use are druling
    Onomatopoeia?

Quote Originally Posted by Plakespear
    So, are toepiece only bindings the hot item for 2006?
    Apparently your heel is held down by a magnet embedded in the ski

It's 22Designs' newest Hammerhead incarnation.

um, I know there are pics of the new Rossi/Look binders on skipass.com's coverage.

Basically, the toepiece is the same, and the dildo is still there for the heelpiece...however the brakes are further forward, and there's no turntable for the binding. So I guess, imagine a solly heel but with the dildo as the actual heelpiece.

I'll take one of each of the Volkls, thanks guys

Second star to the right and straight on till morning
    When did Goode start making snow skis? Last time I heard the words "Goode" and "ski" were when my friend was talking about his slalom (err water skiing) set-up. Weird...

But yes, me likey Volkl. Me likey mucho.

No Sillymon or Rossi?
    Days on snow 06-07: 3
    Days behind a boat summer 2006: 24

"Coming here and asking whether you need wider skis is like turning up at the Neverland Ranch and asking Michael if he'd like to come to Tampa with the kids" -bad roo.

one ? about those purty lookin 2006 Volkl's
    Do they still say made in Germany?
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Volkls= droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.
    steezarific!!

Goode has made skis for a while, Max. Several years, although the Goode brand is more of a backcountry ski than a resort brand, so that's why you'll see their reviews in Backcountry or Couloir instead of Powder.

DrakeBoinay skis are made in some collaboration with Goode; DB gets the resort stuff, Goode the BC stuff.

You'd know all of this if you'd paid any attention to the DrakeBoinay threads/reviews over the past year or so

DB's and Goode skis are made in the same factory but DB's have kevlar, which is lacking in Goode. Dave Goode is the production manager for DB and Goode, basically he runs the construction side of things. I talked to Stephan today and he told me they just finished a run of Surreals and were switching over to Tablas now. I don't know if they built all of the Surreals people ordered or just a batch though, and I know nothing about the status of the Rs.

Each of them will ownerize BC and inbounds, which is why they've both been reviewed in the BC mags and alpine mags. FWIW Goode is using the mold from the first prototype Tabla for his huge non-swallowtailed version.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Based on what Goode had on display there "carbon" skis where just painted to look like CF and where really just black died pre-preg fiberglass.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Quote Originally Posted by TJ.Brk
    We've been testing the AK Skis 06 line the last week. The King Salmon is a friggen great ride. But be warned he is one stiff SOB. Very smooth ride, but if you hit boiler plate ice and you don't have a wide stance to get some edge grip you will end up buttering it.

The Hyper Pros made alot of the testers top 3 list of skis so far. Same with the new No Ka Oi's. Alot of use are druling over the new race skis. Varoooooommmm
    tj- i happened to get my hands on an AT/tele like model a few weeks ago and reviewed it here...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ghlight=outlaw
    being my first AK experience, i'm not sure that they're all like this, but i have to say that the edge feel on these puppies was something special. you could really feel how the edge was working without being subject to the jarring part of that equation. going way way back, it was like 1991 when i hopped on to a pair of authier's once and everything else just feel like skiing cardboard.