Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    XL size

Came with the metal stand, which we'll use, at least at first.

My mentioning about cleaning is that bears have not done anything to our gas grill when left mucky. We have a loud 90 lb hound dog , but he spends most nights in the house.

Are peeps putting these on wood decks?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    XL size

Came with the metal stand, which we'll use, at least at first.

My mentioning about cleaning is that bears have not done anything to our gas grill when left mucky. We have a loud 90 lb hound dog , but he spends most nights in the house.

Are peeps putting these on wood decks?
    I had mine on a wood deck for years with no issue and mine is almost 13 yrs old and it did not come with the mesh screen that the new ones do to cut down on embers...

A couple of tips...:
    1. Until you learn how to adjust the vent and daisy wheel bring the heat up slowly. The Egg is incredibly efficient so if you b low past your desired cooking temps it can take a while to bring down.
    2. Start off with easy and cheap meats such as pork butt, pork tenderloin and chicken. There is a learning curve and I had friends start off with ribs and brisket and these meats are much more difficult to get dialed in.
    3. This is a personal preference, but I do not like putting meat on the Egg especially white meat until I get a clear smoke coming from the Egg. If I am adding soaked wood I will still wait until clear smoke is coming from the Egg as I want the ash and shit that dropped from my last cook to burn off.
    4. YouTube is your friend
    5. Even though Aaron Franklin does not use an Egg his instructional videos on YouTube have helped me immensely.

Good luck and trust me you will be addicted and will be producing better BBQ than most restaurants you go to.

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

100% of all bear attacks against the BGE occur on sizes XL to mini. You are only safe with an XXL. Tell that cheap fucker who gifted you the XL that you require the XXL. Welcome to the family!

Thanks all. I still need to get a flat piece of ground together to set it up.

I've been smoking meat on a gas grill for a handful of years and am excited to take smoking (and having an outdoor oven) to a new level.

Undertow has some great tips!
    The looflighters are also awesome for getting some embers roaring fast. Of course, a propane torch and hair dryer combo can work pretty well too.
    Take your time and let the ceramic absorb that heat too, don't rush to put food on.
    Enjoy! Got a 8 lb pork butt resting right now.

The looflighter self destructed for me in the first few weeks. I use the propane torch and cheap hair dryer.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Undertow has some great tips!
    The looflighters are also awesome for getting some embers roaring fast. Of course, a propane torch and hair dryer combo can work pretty well too.
    Take your time and let the ceramic absorb that heat too, don't rush to put food on.
    Enjoy! Got a 8 lb pork butt resting right now.
    be sure to NOT use the hair dryer method with the one your lovely wife uses. Her hair will smell like smoke..... I was in the dog house for a few days

If you want to make your wife shine with joy this holiday season use her Le Creuset cookware on the egg.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    If you want to make your wife shine with joy this holiday season use her Le Creuset cookware on the egg.
    Lol, you'll be faping and couch surfing in no time :-p #doghouse

A quick, hot sear to finish off a 10lb belly
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	218987

After a dozen cooks, I think I'm starting to get a hang of this thing!
    I found a hack cut of elk roast in the deep freezer, might as well smoke it!

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	220417

Cherry wood working its magic!

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Ready for foiling

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

The best way to do brisket on an egg is with a sous vide. We sous vide our briskets for 36 hours and then 2.5 hours on the egg. Its cheating, but you would be hard pressed to find a better result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Gotta keep playing with my sous vide cooker. I haven't done any really long cooks with it yet, just steaks and lambchops and whatnot. What temp do you use on brisket for that long? Can you fit a whole brisket into a foodsaver vac bag?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    A quick, hot sear to finish off a 10lb belly

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	218987
    Nice. I decided just this minute that pork belly is my favorite food. Headed down to the freezer to grab one for dinner tomorrow.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Gotta keep playing with my sous vide cooker. I haven't done any really long cooks with it yet, just steaks and lambchops and whatnot. What temp do you use on brisket for that long? Can you fit a whole brisket into a foodsaver vac bag?
    It only works with a double brisket and I believe we are doing 155 for 36 hours. I've done up to a six lbs. brisket in a single vacuum sealed bag, but we have a really heavy duty unit. Anything larger and I usually have it cut into three separate pieces. Oftentimes, we will get a very large double brisket, cut it up, sous vide it, but then only smoke two of the three or one of the three pieces and you can freeze the remainder for a later time.

The key to sous vide that long is evaporation prevention. We do it in a Coleman cooler and cover the top with ping pong balls. Check water level every 8-10 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Less (or different) smoke flavor with that method?

^^^ Was thinking of modding an old cooler by cutting a hole in the top for the cooker to fit through for bigger pieces of meat and longer cooks.

Also, ribs!

I just did the sous vide / smoke with a pork shoulder and people raved. I only did 12 hours in sous vide at 145, then let it cool back down to fridge temp, then smoked it at 190 - 200 for 12 hours. Came off at 160, was not fall apart tender, still had its natural consistency but the connective tissue was all super soft. Made the best sliced pork I've had / made.

i'm getting the hang of the XL BGE. super stoked! getting used to cooking with coal, working on getting the smoke quantity dialed (consistently using apple at the moment and just switched from chips to chunks), dialing in the temp control (still a challenge sometimes - see below), etc. we've had several whole smoked chickens, a big fillet of "hot smoked" salmon, some veggies, and a nice slow smoked tri tip that i reverse seared. they've all been really great and pretty different from the years of smoking that i've done on a gas grill, mostly because of the increase in meat moisture. it's been awesome. no ribs yet. currently, i won't do long and slow (overnight stuff) until the weather changes because I think i need to sleep outside near the grill and with the dog. we have way too much bear and coyote activity for me to feel comfortable leaving that thing overnight.

question: on my last chicken smoke, i had a pretty tricky time controlling temp (high) and experienced where the dome thermometer said ~350 but my maverick on the grill was registering 425 range. up to this point, my observations have been that the maverick and the dome thermometer are very close in their read-out. Also, during that circumstance where the maverick was registering at 425, i thought i had it stabilized and had it at 325-350 for about 30 minutes into the cook (after blue smoke) and then it slowly started to climb, until it reached and stabilized at 425 (that whole time it was climbing i was consistently reducing air flow to try to get it to stablize. one of my thoughts is that the maverick is having a problem, which I can test with some boiling water. another theory is that more coal lit up when i experienced the temp climb. up to this point, i've been lighting at one spot in the center. has anybody else experienced this stuff with the larger eggs?

New toys for the Egg... Ash basket and grid extender with sliding rack... Doubled my cooking space and now finally will not have to pull the bad lump out by hand when cleaning or setting u p for a long smoke!

Sent from my SM-G955U using TGR Forums mobile app

^^^ Sweet! Where'd you get all those goodies?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    ^^^ Sweet! Where'd you get all those goodies?
    I placed my order and 20 minutes later I received a shipping notification. I cannot say enough about service, quality and an addition that will make the Egg that much better.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collec...ic-grill-store

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    i'm getting the hang of the XL BGE. super stoked! getting used to cooking with coal, working on getting the smoke quantity dialed (consistently using apple at the moment and just switched from chips to chunks), dialing in the temp control (still a challenge sometimes - see below), etc. we've had several whole smoked chickens, a big fillet of "hot smoked" salmon, some veggies, and a nice slow smoked tri tip that i reverse seared. they've all been really great and pretty different from the years of smoking that i've done on a gas grill, mostly because of the increase in meat moisture. it's been awesome. no ribs yet. currently, i won't do long and slow (overnight stuff) until the weather changes because I think i need to sleep outside near the grill and with the dog. we have way too much bear and coyote activity for me to feel comfortable leaving that thing overnight.

question: on my last chicken smoke, i had a pretty tricky time controlling temp (high) and experienced where the dome thermometer said ~350 but my maverick on the grill was registering 425 range. up to this point, my observations have been that the maverick and the dome thermometer are very close in their read-out. Also, during that circumstance where the maverick was registering at 425, i thought i had it stabilized and had it at 325-350 for about 30 minutes into the cook (after blue smoke) and then it slowly started to climb, until it reached and stabilized at 425 (that whole time it was climbing i was consistently reducing air flow to try to get it to stablize. one of my thoughts is that the maverick is having a problem, which I can test with some boiling water. another theory is that more coal lit up when i experienced the temp climb. up to this point, i've been lighting at one spot in the center. has anybody else experienced this stuff with the larger eggs?
    Dome thermometers blow. Trust the digital
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.